Oyle­gate-Glen­brien ad­vance to Le­in­ster de­cider

Gorey Guardian - - SPORT - ML. HEF­FER­NAN in Ra­heenagh


A DOM­I­NANT sec­ond-half saw Oyle­gate-Glen­brien through to the Killeedy G.A.A. club-pro­moted Le­in­ster Ju­nior ‘B’ hurl­ing fi­nal as they came from be­hind to see off Kilkenny’s Graigue-Bal­ly­callan in Ra­heenagh, Co. Lim­er­ick, on Sun­day.

With a stiff breeze hav­ing a ma­jor bear­ing on the game, the even­tual win­ners would have been happy to only be trail­ing by four points at the break, as they thwarted the Graigue-Bal­ly­callan ad­vances on numer­ous oc­ca­sions.

Barry Dunne was do­ing his bit at the other end, hit­ting five points for the Wex­ford cham­pi­ons, while their Kilkenny op­po­nents found first-half scores from Ja­son Der­mody, Thomas Ryan and Wil­lie O’Con­nor.

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien still looked like they were the more com­pe­tent side and, when Conor Nolan added a point to their tally to make it 0-10 to 0-6 at the break, it was ev­i­dent that there was plenty more to come from the boys in blue.

And that proved to be the case as they got down to busi­ness im­me­di­ately, hit­ting three points within four min­utes on the re­sump­tion thanks to Barry Dunne and Tomás Cos­grave.

Shane Hen­nessy replied for Graigue-Bal­ly­callan but they found them­selves be­hind in the 38th minute when Joe Dunne struck the net with a tidy fin­ish.

This fired the even­tual win­ners up to no end and, af­ter Barry Dunne swapped scores with Ja­son Der­mody mid­way through the half, they never re­ally looked back.

Barry Dunne con­tin­ued to be deadly ac­cu­rate from play and placed balls, while Peter Row­ley, Evan Kelly and the man of the match, Pádraig O’Con­nor, were out­stand­ing in de­fence, hold­ing their op­po­nents score­less for a twelve-minute pe­riod.

Ja­son Der­mody did man­age to bring his side back within touch­ing dis­tance with a well-taken goal with five min­utes re­main­ing.

But min­utes later, a well-taken in­di­vid­ual goal from the cap­tain, Marty Kelly, de­cided mat­ters and set his side up for a Le­in­ster fi­nal meet­ing with Gal­way’s Ballinder­reen in the new year.

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien last con­tested this fi­nal in 2007-’08, los­ing to Emer­alds of Ur­ling­ford.

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien: Ed­die Mer­nagh; Ai­dan Mur­phy, Pádraig O’Con­nor, Evan Kelly; Garry Con­roy, Niall Parker, Peter Row­ley; Marty Kelly (1-1, 0-1 free), An­thony Doyle; Conor Nolan (0-1), Pa Cullen, Barry Dunne (0-11, 6 frees); Joe Dunne (1-0), Eoin O’Mahoney (0-1), Tomás Cos­grave (0-1). Subs. - Pierce Mur­phy for Cos­grave (48), Trevor Moul­ton for A. Mur­phy (56).

Graigue-Bal­ly­callan: Pádraic De­laney; Mark Fitz­patrick, Eoin Cor­co­ran, Joey Cor­co­ran; Pat Robinson, Tom Dun­phy, Philip Cahill; Kil­lian Egan, Thomas Ryan (0-2 frees); Ja­son Der­mody (1-6, 0-3 frees), Der­mot Ryall (0-1), Wil­lie O’Con­nor (0-1); Shane Hen­nessy (0-2), Adam O’Brien, Philip Heafey. Sub. - Alan Cor­co­ran for Heafey (45).

Ref­eree: Ja­son Mullins (Lim­er­ick).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.