One pot wonders Donal Skehan’s winter recipes
1 small onion, chopped
75g kimchi, roughly chopped
150g leftover cooked rice, cold
1 large free-range egg, lightly whisked
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
From the storecupboard:
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Nori to garnish (optional)
1. Heat a large pan over a high heat and add the oil. Add the onions to the pan and saute until they go slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
2. Add in the kimchi and a glug of the liquid it comes in and stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until it’s hot all the way through.
Add the rice to the pan and gently break up while also tossing through the contents of the pan.
3. Season with dark soy sauce and sesame oil and stir through until completely incorporated.
4. Reduce the heat and in another pan fry the eggs in a little more oil until the whites are no longer translucent and the yolk is still slightly runny.
5. Serve the kimchi rice in a deep bowl topped with a fried egg, toasted sesame seeds and some strips of nori seaweed.