Carnacon ‘devastated’ by expulsion
Defending All-ireland Ladies Club Football champions Carnacon will appeal the decision of the Mayo Ladies Football County Board to remove them from Mayo championship and league action for the 2018 season.
In a statement issued yesterday officials say they are “devastated” by what has happened which has seen them punished for their role in the withdrawal of eight of the club’s players from the Mayo senior squad last month.
“The club is in the process of preparing an appeal of this decision to lodge with the Connacht LGFA, so at this point in time we feel it would be inappropriate to comment any further,” they said.
Eight Carnacon players and four players from three other clubs left days ahead of Mayo’s clash with Cavan.
A Carnacon representative told Mayo manager Peter Leahy that all of their eight players were withdrawing from the panel.
In a statement through the LGPA on July 10, after the story broke, the group of players cited “player welfare issues that are personal and sensitive to the players involved” as their reason for withdrawing.
Among those to leave were 10-time All Star Cora Staunton and Mayo captain Sarah Tierney.
Last Tuesday’s meeting of the board in the TF Hotel in Castlebar ruled that Carnacon brought the game into disrepute.
The meeting voted 26-2 to remove Carnacon from the 2018 championship and league.
Carnacon have five working days to appeal the decision to the Ladies Gaelic Connacht Council.