Success tastes really sweet for Butlers Chololates
Butlers Chocolates began life in Dublin’s Lad Lane in 1932. The company was founded by a pioneering lady called Marion Butler who named her luxury chocolate creations Chez Nous Chocolates.
Marion established the company in the heart of fashionable Georgian Dublin, making her delicious confections by hand. Marion, who was born in India and moved to Ireland as a young woman, continued to make her delicious chocolates until 1959, when the company was bought by Seamus Sorensen from Cork. The company is still owned and run by the Sorensen family.
Chez Nous luxury chocolates were regularly sold at the very popular Horse Show and Spring Show in the RDS in Dublin and the company’s first retail store was opened in the Grafton Arcade in 1960.
The brand was renamed Butlers Irish Chocolates in 1984, in memory of Marion Butler. To mark the company’s relationship and early beginnings with the Dublin Horse Show, a rider and horse remained part of the Butlers Irish Chocolates logo for many years. The first Butlers Chocolate Café opened in 1998 in a beautiful corner building on Dublin’s Wicklow Street — a popular shopping street in the capital city. Butlers Chocolates could now be bought in a new style of shop, a modern day chocolate emporium specialising in all things chocolate with the best coffee.
Each hot beverage purchased in a Butlers Chocolate Café was accompanied by a free chocolate of choice. The inaugural Butlers Chocolate Café was a resounding success and was soon followed by Cafés in Chatham Street, Grafton Street and Henry Street, which have since become familiar and welcome destinations for Dubliners and visitors alike. There are now eighteen Butlers Chocolate Cafés in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick.
The Butlers Chocolate Café concept has now been successfully franchised in several locations around the world. The first franchise opened in New Zealand in 2007; there are now 5 Butlers Chocolate Cafés there. Pakistan is also home to 5 Butlers Chocolate Cafés, along with a Café in Bangladesh and Dubai Airport. In 2003, the Butlers Chocolate factory relocated from its waterfront city centre location on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay to the IDA Business Park in Clonshaugh. This purpose built state of the art factory is home to Butlers Chocolates today. The factory is over 80,000 square feet in size and enjoys BRC Grade A accreditation. In recent years, the company introduced Butlers Chocolates to chocolate lovers in many locations across the globe, from Dublin to Dubai and Shannon to Sydney. In fact Butlers Chocolates are now on sale in over 40 countries including USA, Australia, Singapore and Russia.