Silent protest over har­bour in­cin­er­a­tor plan

Irish Examiner - - News - Eoin English

Op­po­nents of plans for a €160m in­cin­er­a­tor in Cork Har­bour staged a silent protest yes­ter­day as Prince Charles vis­ited the har­bour area.

Gar­daí kept a close but dis­creet eye on the hun­dreds of cam­paign­ers who lined the streets of Rin­gask­iddy as the prince and his en­tourage passed by on a visit to the Na­tional Mar­itime Col­lege of Ire­land and the Ir­ish Naval Ser­vice HQ in Haulbow­line, both of which are close to the s i t e o f t h e c o n t r o ve r s i a l pro­posed development. Waste firm In­daver se­cured per­mis­sion from An Bord Pleanála last month to build the fa­cil­ity on a 13-hectare site close to the naval base.

G er t i e O ’D r i s c o l l , o f the Rin­gask­iddy Res­i­dents’ As­so­ci­a­tion, said they wanted to use the royal visit to send a mes­sage to the world’s me­dia ac­com­pa­ny­ing the prince that the peo­ple of Rin­gask­iddy will fight plans for the in­cin­er­a­tor.

The pre­vi­ous night, a huge anti-in­cin­er­a­tor ban­ner was d r a p e d f ro m t h e ro o f o f a for­mer Grand Pa­rade ho­tel, op­po­site the English Mar­ket, but it was re­moved be­fore the royal cou­ple ar­rived.

Cam­paign group CHASE and the Rin­gask­iddy Res­i­dents As­so­ci­a­tion have been c a m p a i gn i ng a g a i n s t t h e development of an in­cin­er­a­tor since In­daver lodged its first planning ap­pli­ca­tion in 2001.

How­ever, last month af­ter a third oral hear­ing, a third in­spec­tor rec­om­mend­ing re­fusal of planning, and months of de­lay in an­nounc­ing its de­ci­sion, An Bord Pleanála said its board had voted 5:2 in favour of grant­ing planning to the pro­ject un­der the fast-track strate­gic in­fra­struc­ture process.

CHASE launched a mas­sive cam­paign to fund a ju­di­cial re­view of the de­ci­sion. Hun­dreds of har­bour town res­i­dents have at­tended pub­lic meet­ings in re­cent weeks and CHASE is set­ting up a Cork city branch.

Its le­gal ad­vis­ers are pre­par­ing their case, while a GoFundMe drive has, in a few weeks, raised more than €50,000 for a ju­di­cial re­view of the planning de­ci­sion. Res­i­dents say they are on course to seek leave for the re­view be­fore the July 19 dead­line.

In­daver says its en­ergy fa­cil­ity, which will burn 240,000 tonnes of waste a year, in­clud­ing 24,000 tonnes of haz­ardous waste, will not im­port waste. The com­pany has been granted a 10-year planning per­mis­sion time­frame for the fa­cil­ity and a 30-year op­er­a­tional life­time.

Pic­ture: De­nis Mini­hane

Pro­test­ers line the road in Rin­gask­iddy dur­ing the visit of Prince Charles.

See irishex­am­iner.com for video. Pic­ture: De­nis Mini­hane

Tak­ing part in a silent protest against the In­daver in­cin­er­a­tor dur­ing the visit of Prince Charles to Rin­gask­iddy were, from left, Ger­tie O’Driscoll of the Rin­gask­iddy Res­i­dents’ As­so­ci­a­tion, Roma Ful­ton, Kin­sale En­vi­ron­ment Watch, and Kath­leen Ryan, CHASE City Group.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.