Yemen’s Houthis threaten more drone attacks
The Iranian-aligned Houthi group threatened to launch more drone attacks after a deadly strike last week on a Yemeni government military parade, stoking tension between the warring parties amid UN peace efforts.
Houthi spokesman Yahya Sarea said Thursday’s drone strike on a military base in Lahaj province, which killed several people, was a “legitimate operation against aggression”. He said the movement was building a stockpile of locally manufactured drones. “Soon there will be enough in the strategic stockpile to launch more than one drone operation in multiple battle fronts at the same time,” Sarea told reporters in the Houthi- held capital Sanaa.
The attack on the military parade came as the UN tries to get peace talks going between the Houthis, who control most urban centres in Yemen, and the Saudi-backed government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, which is based in the southern port city of Aden.
The day after, a Saudiled military coalition said it destroyed a Houthi communication and control centre used to direct drones.
The Houthis said in November they were halting drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and their Yemeni allies, but tensions have risen over how to implement a UN-sponsored peace deal reached in December in Hodeidah.