Stu­dent scarred af­ter sit­ting on tub of hot oil

Irish Independent - - News - Tim Healy

A STU­DENT who sued af­ter he was burned when he sat on a bucket of freshly dis­carded hot oil from the Chi­nese take­away he worked in has set­tled his High Court ac­tion.

Fine arts stu­dent Umesh Ma­har­jan suf­fered dev­as­tat­ing in­juries when the oil splashed on his back and arm, the court heard. He was in ex­cru­ci­at­ing pain and has been left with “grossly dis­fig­ur­ing” scars.

Mr Ma­har­jan, who is orig­i­nally from Kath­mandu in Nepal, was work­ing in the Rath­new Chi­nese Take­away in Wick­low to fi­nance his de­gree.

His coun­sel De­clan Doyle SC said he was tak­ing a break at the back of the premises where plas­tic buck­ets were kept. Some­body had put hot cook­ing oil from a deep-fat fryer in a bucket and when Mr Ma­har­jan sat on it, the lid gave way and he col­lapsed back­wards. The oil spilled over his back and left arm.

Coun­sel said he suf­fered life-chang­ing in­juries and had ex­ten­sive burns. Col­leagues, he said, helped and put wa­ter and some ice on the af­fected ar­eas and Mr Ma­har­jan was taken to hos­pi­tal. Mr Ma­har­jan (29), of Dock Road, Lim­er­ick, sued Rath­new Restau­rant and Take­away Ltd as a re­sult of the ac­ci­dent on Au­gust 21, 2015.

Mr Jus­tice Michael Hanna was told the is­sue of li­a­bil­ity had been with­drawn in the case and it was be­fore the court for as­sess­ment of dam­ages only.

Fol­low­ing talks yesterday, Mr Doyle said the case had been set­tled and could be struck out.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.