Re­lent­less drive to­wards ti­tle suc­cess main­tained

New Ross Standard - - SPORT -

EN­NIS­COR­THY CON­TIN­UED their re­lent­less drive to­wards win­ning the Leinster League Di­vi­sion 1A with a 40-8 vic­tory over Ash­bourne at Ross Road on Satur­day.

As ever it was a per­for­mance mixed with good and bad, but when they even­tu­ally clicked in the sec­ond-half the scores came like a flood.

Sec­ond row for­ward Liam Stamp re­ceived a straight red card af­ter a shoul­der charge in the 30th minute which made the moun­tain a lit­tle more dif­fi­cult to climb, and they also lost Timmy Mor­ris­sey who re­tired with an an­kle in­jury five min­utes later.

It was a tight open­ing to the game and there was 20 min­utes on the clock when the first score came. Af­ter a suc­ces­sion of picks and drives, Nick Doyle set up the ball for scrum-half Arthur Dunne who had Danny Pim run­ning into space, and he fed Ivan Poole who pro­duced one of his trade­mark long passes to Ivan Ja­cob who scored in the cor­ner. The con­ver­sion was missed, so it stayed at 5-0.

Ivan Poole stretched the lead with two penalty kicks, and Ash­bourne out-half Donal Crotty re­sponded with the boot to leave it 11-3 at half-time.

Poole in­creased the lead with a penalty in front of the posts af­ter Ash­bourne had strayed off­side.

Ash­bourne stared to ex­ert a lot of pres­sure on the En­nis­cor­thy line and, from a scrum un­der the posts, Casey Dunne gal­loped in to score a try (14-8), with the con­ver­sion at­tempt missed.

En­nis­cor­thy even­tu­ally re­grouped and, from a scrum on the ’ 22 at the club­house side, Kil­lian Lett al­most got across the line. From the re­sult­ing re-set, Brian Bol­ger scored and an easy con­ver­sion for Poole put the home side now firmly in the driv­ing seat.

It ap­peared that Ivan Ja­cob scored again af­ter a kick ahead from Tom Ryan, but they did reg­is­ter the fourth try when Ivan Poole grabbed the drop-off and ran through the Ash­bourne cover eas­ier than a knife through but­ter. He added the con­ver­sion and sealed the re­sult to make it 28-8 with ten min­utes re­main­ing.

They were not fin­ished as David O’Dwyer’s strong run put his name on the score­sheet.

Ash­bourne made a rare visit into the En­nis­cor­thy half but they spilled the ball, and An­gelo Todisco kicked ahead.

Full-back Richard Dunne was fol­low­ing up and ran 40 me­tres un­chal­lenged in un­der the posts, with Kil­lian Lett adding the con­ver­sion for a fine win af­ter a ter­rific fi­nal 20 min­utes when the vis­i­tors were blown away.

It was an­other fine team per­for­mance con­sid­er­ing they played 50 min­utes with 14 men, with flanker Brian Bol­ger named man of the match.

The next match is away to Bec­tive Rangers on Satur­day, Jan­uary 12, at 2.30 p.m.

Top four af­ter ten rounds: En­nis­cor­thy, 43 points; Gorey, 33; Wick­low, 32; Bec­tive Rangers, 23.

Team: Paddy Wa­ters (James Doyle, 70), David Mur­phy, An­gelo Todisco, Liam Stamp (red card, 30), Tom Ryan (capt.), Timmy Mor­ris­sey (Luke Cum­mins, 35), Nick Doyle, Arthur Dunne (Billy Wick­ham, 70), Ivan Poole (Jack Kelly, 70), David O’Dwyer, Kil­lian Lett, Daniel Pim, Ivan Ja­cob, Richard Dunne.

Scor­ers: Ivan Poole (try, three penal­ties, two con­ver­sions); Ivan Ja­cob, David O’Dwyer, Richard Dunne, Brian Bol­ger (tries); Kil­lian Lett (con­ver­sion).

Gorey’s An­drew Walsh is brought to ground by Andy Thomp­son.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.