Rash­ford to the res­cue

Mour­inho re­lief af­ter late win­ner sinks Bournemouth

Sunday Independent (Ireland) - Sport - - FRONT PAGE -

MAR­CUS RASH­FORD’S stop­page-time strike se­cured Manch­ester United a 2-1 come­back win at high-fly­ing Bournemouth in an ab­sorb­ing Premier League clash.

With trips to Ju­ven­tus and Manch­ester City loom­ing large, Jose Mour­inho’s men looked set to kick off a crunch week in the worst way. Cal­lum Wil­son gave Ed­die Howe’s side a de­served lead that Bournemouth threat­ened to com­pound as United strug­gled to gain a foothold.

But An­thony Mar­tial’s fifth goal in as many games pulled his side level be­fore the break, which they emerged from as a vastly im­proved propo­si­tion.

The spoils looked set to be shared un­til Rash­ford struck late on, with the for­ward, who turned 21 this week, com­ing off the bench to seal a timely vic­tory.

Le­ices­ter hon­oured the mem­ory of Vichai Sri­vad­dhanaprabha by mak­ing a win­ning re­turn to ac­tion at Cardiff.

The Foxes owner died along with four oth­ers in a he­li­copter crash out­side the King Power Sta­dium fol­low­ing last week­end’s match with West Ham.

On an emo­tional af­ter­noon in south Wales, De­marai Gray ded­i­cated his 55 th-minute goal to Sri­vad­dhanaprabha as Le­ices­ter won 1-0 at Cardiff.

New­cas­tle got their first Premier League win of the sea­son at the 11th at­tempt as Wat­ford were made to pay for missed op­por­tu­ni­ties at St James’ Park.

Ay­oze Perez glanced fel­low sub­sti­tute Ki Sung-yueng’s driven 65th-minute free-kick home to claim a price­less 1-0 vic­tory at the end of an­other test­ing week for Rafael Ben­itez’s side.

West Ham’s record sign­ing Felipe An­der­son be­gan re­pay­ing his price tag by net­ting twice in a roller­coaster 4-2 win against Burn­ley. It was far from plain sail­ing for the Ham­mers, who were twice pegged back by goals from Jo­hann Berg Gud­munds­son and Chris Wood.

Ever­ton net­ted a fourth win in five Premier League matches by over­com­ing Brighton 3-1 at Good­i­son Park. Lewis Dunk’s header had can­celled out Richarli­son’s first-half goal, but Ire­land cap­tain Sea­mus Cole­man an­swered his crit­ics by putting the Tof­fees back ahead.

Richarli­son cap­i­talised on Dunk’s 77 th-minute er­ror to end Brighton’s mini-resur­gence and wrap up three points for Marco Silva’s men.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.