All Blacks sur­vive Eng­land scare to set up Ire­land show­down

Rondón brace lifts Newcastle away from the dan­ger zone

Sunday Independent (Ireland) - Sport - - FRONT PAGE -

CARDIFF and Newcastle claimed valu­able vic­to­ries at the bot­tom of the Premier League yes­ter­day. In the early kick-off, Neil Warnock cel­e­brated his 100th game as Cardiff man­ager with a 2-1 vic­tory over 10-man Brighton.

The Seag­ulls were a man down for al­most an hour with Dale Stephens shown a straight red for a chal­lenge on Ire­land in­ter­na­tional Greg Cun­ning­ham af­ter Cal­lum Pater­son had can­celled out Lewis Dunk’s early header.

Cardiff had to wait un­til the 90th minute for a win­ner, Sol Bamba fi­nally putting the ball into the net af­ter the hosts had twice struck the wood­work.

High-fly­ing Bournemouth were beaten 2-1 by Newcastle at St James’ Park and lost Adam Smith to a se­ri­ous-look­ing knee in­jury. Smith re­ceived oxy­gen on the pitch af­ter go­ing down as he pre­pared to take a free-kick. Newcastle were al­ready ahead thanks to Salomón Rondón’s first Premier League goal of the sea­son in the sev­enth minute, and he dou­bled the lead in the 40th minute.

Jef­fer­son Lerma pulled one back in eight min­utes of first-half stop­page time but Newcastle hung on to climb out of the bot­tom three.

Ref­eree Si­mon Hooper was cen­tre stage in Southamp­ton’s 1-1 draw with Watford. Manolo Gab­bia­dini’s first goal of the cam­paign gave Saints the lead in the 20th minute and Hooper’s first con­tentious de­ci­sion came when he de­nied Watford a penalty af­ter Ryan Ber­trand ap­peared to take out Nathaniel Chalobah.

Less than 10 min­utes later, Char­lie Austin thought he had dou­bled Southamp­ton’s ad­van­tage only for Hooper to rule it out, and Jose Hole­bas equalised eight min­utes from time.

There was plenty of emo­tion on show but no goals at the King Power Sta­dium as Leicester paid tribute to late owner Vichai Sri­vad­dhanaprabha ahead of a

0-0 draw with Burnley.

It was a point apiece, too, at Hud­der­s­field, where the Ter­ri­ers were de­nied a sec­ond vic­tory of the week by Felipe An­der­son’s equaliser for West Ham.

Alex Pritchard gave Hud­der­s­field, who claimed their first win of the sea­son against Fulham on Mon­day, the lead in only the sixth minute but An­der­son con­tin­ued his hot streak to make it 1-1 16 min­utes from time.

New Zealand’s Ryan Crotty cel­e­brates at the fi­nal whis­tle af­ter his side de­feated Eng­land 16-15 in yes­ter­day’s au­tumn in­ter­na­tional match at Twick­en­ham. See In­side. Photo: by Ben Stansall

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.