Salah hat-trick in Liver­pool stroll keeps pres­sure on City

Le­in­ster ride their luck

Sunday Independent (Ireland) - Sport - - FRONT PAGE -

MO­HAMED SALAH scored a hat-trick as Liver­pool kept up the pres­sure at the top of the Pre­mier League ta­ble with a com­fort­able 4-0 win at Bournemouth. The Reds equalled their club-record run of 17 un­beaten Pre­mier League matches and edged a point ahead of overnight lead­ers Manch­ester City, who played Chelsea in the evening kick-off.

Salah broke the dead­lock at the Vi­tal­ity Sta­dium on 25 min­utes, slot­ting home af­ter Bournemouth goal­keeper As­mir Be­govic had spilled Roberto Firmino’s shot, al­though re­plays con­firmed the Egypt striker was off­side.

There was no ar­gu­ment around his sec­ond soon af­ter the restart when Salah rode an at­tempted trip from be­hind by Steve Cook to go on and slide the ball into the far cor­ner. It was 3-0 on 68 min­utes when Cook turned An­drew Robert­son’s low cross into his own net be­fore the ram­pant Salah com­pleted his tre­ble with a mag­nif­i­cent drib­ble to wrap things up with 13 min­utes left.

Else­where in yes­ter­day’s 3pm kick­offs, Manch­ester United ran out 4-1 win­ners over bot­tom club Ful­ham, who fin­ished with 10 men at Old Traf­ford.

De­fender Ash­ley Young put the home side ahead early on and Juan Mata dou­bled United’s lead af­ter 28 min­utes. Romelu Lukaku added a third from close range just be­fore the break.

Ful­ham pulled a goal back with a penalty on 67 min­utes through Aboubakar Ka­mara, but the Cot­tagers were soon re­duced to 10 men when mid­fielder An­dre-Frank Zambo An­guissa col­lected a sec­ond yellow card. Mar­cus Rash­ford scored a fourth for United with seven min­utes left.

Ralph Hasen­huttl started his reign as Southamp­ton man­ager with a 1-0 de­feat at Cardiff, which leaves his new side sec­ond bot­tom. Cardiff, who climb to 14th, broke the dead­lock on 74 min­utes af­ter Cal­lum Pater­son robbed Saints de­fender Jan­nik Vester­gaard on the edge of the box.

Arse­nal left it late to beat Hud­der­s­field 1-0 at the Emi­rates Sta­dium with an ac­ro­batic goal from Lu­cas Tor­reira on 84 min­utes. The Uruguay mid­fielder’s bi­cy­cle kick was enough to see Unai Emery’s side go un­beaten in 21 games in all competitions, win­ning 16 of them, to move above north Lon­don ri­vals Tot­ten­ham into third place.

West Ham came from be­hind to beat Crys­tal Palace 3-2 at the Lon­don Sta­dium. James McArthur put the Ea­gles in front on six min­utes af­ter the home de­fence failed to deal with a free-kick.

The Irons were level three min­utes into the sec­ond half when Scot­land mid­fielder Robert Sn­od­grass curled in a 20-yard ef­fort.

Javier Her­nan­dez put West Ham ahead when the Mex­ico for­ward turned the ball home from close range on 62 min­utes af­ter Wayne Hen­nessey par­ried Fe­lipe An­der­son’s free-kick.

Be­fore Palace could re­group, they were 3-1 down on 65 min­utes as Brazil­ian An­der­son clipped the ball into the top cor­ner.

Sub­sti­tute Jef­frey Schlupp’s header gave the Ea­gles hope with 15 min­utes left, but there was to be no dra­matic fi­nale.

Burn­ley moved out of the bot­tom three with a 1-0 home win over Brighton. De­fender James Tarkowski de­flected in a shot from Jack Cork to give the Clarets the lead five min­utes be­fore half-time, which proved enough for max­i­mum points.

Photo: Ram­sey Cardy

Bath 10, Le­in­ster 17 Jor­dan Lar­mour cel­e­brates af­ter scor­ing Le­in­ster’s sec­ond try dur­ing the Heineken Cup match against Bath at the Re­cre­ation Ground.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.