Kil­dare weather storm to see off Car­low

Sunday Independent (Ireland) - Sport - - RESULTS / ROUND-UP - MICHAEL VERNEY

KIL­DARE adapted well to the game’s lat­est tweaks with Jimmy Hy­land and Neil Flynn on song in at­tack to get their sea­son off to a flier with a com­mand­ing O’Byrne Cup vic­tory over Car­low at St Con­leth’s Park, New­bridge yes­ter­day.

Kil­dare played with the aid of a stiff breeze in the first half in dif­fi­cult con­di­tions and hit the ground run­ning from the off, with Paul Crib­bin and Kevin Feely dom­i­nat­ing pos­ses­sion from mid­field. The ‘mark’ was used to great ef­fect while Hy­land, this year’s U-20 Player of the Year, bril­liantly utilised the ‘of­fen­sive mark’ with three su­perb firsthalf points, each cre­ated by an an­gled de­liv­ery straight to hand.

That helped Kil­dare into an unas­sail­able 0-11 to 0-2 half-time lead and while Dar­ren Lun­ney’s 40th-minute goal gave the vis­i­tors some hope, it was one-way traf­fic through­out.

In a re­peat of this year’s shock Le­in­ster SFC quar­ter-fi­nal where Car­low se­cured their first pro­vin­cial de­feat of Kil­dare since 1953, the home side started brightly with scores from Ben McCor­mack and Flynn. McCor­mack was sin-binned in the first quar­ter but it had lit­tle ef­fect on pro­ceed­ings with Hy­land on tar­get, while the re­turn­ing Eoghan O’Fla­herty and Flynn left them in com­plete con­trol af­ter 20 min­utes, 0-8 to nil. Daniel St Ledger opened the ac­count for Tur­lough O’Brien’s side in the 26th minute with a free but O’Fla­herty, McCor­mack and Kevin Feely helped Kil­dare into a nine-point half-time ad­van­tage.

Car­low woke from their slum­ber upon the re­sump­tion with Lun­ney whip­ping to the net from close range af­ter a long side­line was flicked into his path and they cut the gap to five through Bren­dan Mur­phy and Dar­ragh Fo­ley, 0-12 to 1-4.

That was as good as it got, how­ever, as the Lilies weath­ered the storm to kick the next three points, while the game ended on a sour note with Car­low de­fender Conor Lawlor suf­fer­ing a nasty in­jury which re­quired ex­ten­sive treat­ment.

Scor­ers — Kil­dare: N Flynn 0-6 (5f), J Hy­land 0-3, B McCor­mack and E O’Fla­herty 0-2 each, K Feely, T Moolick, C Hart­ley 0-1 each. Car­low: D Lun­ney 1-0, D Fo­ley 0-3f, B Mur­phy 0-2, D St Ledger 0-1f.

Kil­dare: M Don­nel­lan; M Dempsey, M Bar­rett, M Hy­land; C O’Donoghue, E Doyle, K Crib­bin; K Feely, P Crib­bin; D Slat­tery, E O’Fla­herty, C Hart­ley; J Hy­land, B McCor­mack, N Flynn. Subs: B McCor­mack BC (12-22), T Moolick for Feely and P Fog­a­rty for B McCor­mack (both half-time), P Nash for O’Fla­herty (59), B McLough­lin for J Hy­land (60), J Gib­bons for Slat­tery (61), DJ Ear­ley for O’Donoghue, A Tyrrell for M Dempsey, J O’Toole for M Hy­land and D Malone for Hart­ley (all 73).

Car­low: C Kear­ney; C Lawlor, S Red­mond, J Mur­phy; K Nolan,C Crow­ley, D Lun­ney; B Mur­phy, S Doyle; D Mo­ran, D Fo­ley, C Doyle; C Crow­ley, D St Ledger, L Walker.

Subs: R Kane for Crow­ley (26), J Moore for K Nolan (47), J Clarke for Kane (blood 48), E McGrath for Doyle (59), C Mo­ran for Lowry (63), J Kennedy for Lawlor inj (73), D Thomp­son for C Doyle (73).

Ref­eree: G Hur­ley (West­meath)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.