Woodview push lead­ers to the limit

The Argus - - SPORT -

THIS match hung in the bal­ance un­til sec­onds be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle when Jack Long scored the lead­ers’ sec­ond goal to clinch the points at Bellew Park.

Woodview had re­ally put it up to Bellurgan, be­ly­ing their po­si­tion at the lower end of the Un­der-12 Premier ta­ble as they pressed strongly for an equaliser in the sec­ond half when the lead­ers - af­ter tak­ing the lead - cer­tainly didn’t have it all their own way with the strong breeze favour­ing them.

Bellurgan took the lead mid way through the open­ing pe­riod when Ruari Traynor squeezed his shot in­side the post from close range af­ter they had come near to scor­ing on a number of oc­ca­sions.

Woodview through mainly Ma­lik Oseme had posed dan­ger in the early stages, but the lead­ers made two clear-cut open­ings that the men­ac­ing Sean O’Hare was un­able to con­vert be­fore they went ahead.

In the first in­stance he pushed Josh Con­don’s cross wide of an open goal at the far post, and

then off bal­ance shot wide when through on his own to the left of the Woodview goal.

O’Hare con­tin­ued to trou­ble the Woodview de­fence break­ing free on the right to send in a cross which was just too high for Long to head in front of a gap­ing goal in the early min­utes of the sec­ond-half.

Milo Veala then pre­vented Rey­land Hey­wood from ty­ing up the score when the lat­ter pounced as goal­keeper Dan Fer­gu­son hes­i­tated to deal with a bounc­ing ball close to his goal. Veala cleared off the line.

A great surg­ing run through the mid­dle by the im­pres­sive Keane McAr­dle drew a free-kick for Woodview that Diar­muid O’Rourke curled just over the cross­bar. The same player won a corner kick which re­sulted in an ac­ro­batic over­head kick by Dy­lan Ward that went nar­rowly over the cross­bar.

The un­der­dogs made a number of other open­ings be­fore the threat posed by O’Hare should have re­sulted in Long wrap­ping up the points. His touch in front of goal was too heavy and the ball ran into the goal­keeper’s hands.

Woodview had one fi­nal chance which O’Rourke headed over the cross­bar form a free-kick be­fore a long ball put their de­fence in a tan­gle, caus­ing goal­keeper McBen­nett to ad­vance off his line and was in­volved in a col­li­sion which re­sulted in the ball run­ning be­tween his legs.

Caolan Mur­phy tapped it over the line with a team­mate, if needed, also on hand to ap­ply the de­ci­sive blow.

WOODVIEW: James McBen­nett, Ger­ard Cun­ning­ham, Gavin O’Rourke, Keane McAr­dle, Con­all Rogers, Rey­land Hey­wood, Alex Mee­han, Dy­lan Ward, Ma­lik Oseme, Diar­muid O’Rourke, Fer­gus Toal, An­thony Ur­ban­ski.

BELLURGAN: Dan Fer­gu­son, Sean Hol­land, An­drew McAr­dle, Michael O’Shaugh­nessy, Dualta O’Neill, Em­met Duffy, Sean O’Hare, Jack Long, Caolan Mur­phy, Josh Con­don, Milo Veala, Ruari Traynor, Cian McKenna.

David Doyle cel­e­brates scor­ing Dun­dalk’s third goal with team­mates dur­ing the League U-15 Shield Fi­nal at Oriel Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.