Mill­street show true grit to seal semi-fi­nal berth from Glan­worth

The Corkman - - SPORT - DIAR­MUID SHEE­HAN Glan­tane

Mill­street 1-13 Glan­worth 3-6

MILL­STREET showed plenty of grit, de­ter­mi­na­tion and no short­age of skill in see­ing off Glan­worth in Glan­tane last Sun­day af­ter­noon.

On a near per­fect day for foot­ball, Duhal­low side fought their way back into last four of the IFC af­ter what was a hard fought but thor­oughly de­served win over a Glan­tane side that failed to show their full hand on the day.

The boys in green and white bounced back from a slow start to dom­i­nate the mid­dle 30 min­utes of the game which ul­ti­mately proved to be enough to see them past one of the peren­nial favourites for this ti­tle.

Mill­street man­ager Ai­dan O’Ma­hony knew prior to the game that the test was great and was de­lighted with the way his side bounced back from a poor start.

“We knew com­ing into this game with Glan­worth that it wouldn’t be a high scor­ing game and the first half was tough, but in fair­ness to our lads they worked their way back into the game af­ter a slow start and stead­ied the ship in the sec­ond half.

“We missed a few score-able chances in that sec­ond half that kept the op­po­si­tion in the game but we had a lot of young lads on the field as we were miss­ing some of our big­ger names and in fair­ness to them they stood up and got the re­sult.”

The win was ob­vi­ously very sat­is­fy­ing for the five time All Ire­land win­ning foot­baller, but he was keen to point out that parts of the per­for­mance will need some at­ten­tion.

“We will need to im­prove for the semi-fi­nal and we will be un­der­dogs for sure. We will look for­ward to that game, re­gard­less of who we are go­ing to be play­ing, whether it is Knock­na­gree or who­ever, but we will need to work on a few things in­clud­ing our shoot­ing in front of goal.

“We will hope­fully be hav­ing a few play­ers com­ing back from in­jury and hope­fully we will be able to work them in. Still plenty to work on but happy to get over to­day. We have a young and mo­bile team and that is a pos­i­tive.

“We knew play­ing Glan­worth that we would have to move it through the hands to try and take it out of the tack­les (they ob­vi­ously didn’t lis­ten to me in the last 10 min­utes), but one thing I will take away from this is the seven dif­fer­ent scor­ers, that was a real pos­i­tive.

“I sup­pose the way Glan­worth play they drop plenty bod­ies back and maybe that helped us get­ting bod­ies up the field but we will take the pos­i­tives.”

Led in the scor­ing stakes by Cathal Crow­ley and Neil Flahive, Mill­street looked like a very well drilled and mo­ti­vated side, no sur­prise con­sid­er­ing they are be­ing man­aged by for Kerry great Ai­dan O’Ma­hony.

From the first whis­tle this was a grind for both sides as en­deav­ourer and ef­fort wasn’t re­flected on the score­board. Mill­street’s full for­ward Cathal Crow­ley re­moved the baron look to the score­board on 10 min­utes with the game’s open­ing point from play.

Two min­utes later the Duhal­low side found them­selves be­hind af­ter David Pyne bagged the game’s first ma­jor from the penalty spot. Mill­street re­sponded but Glan­worth were find­ing some rhythm and net­ted again on 16 min­utes when John O’Sul­li­van lobbed the on­rush­ing Mill­street keeper Dy­lan O’Leary.

Mill­street were on the back foot but soon found their way, dom­i­nat­ing the mid­dle third and scor­ing the next six points – to go in at the break up by one. 0-8 to 2-1. Flahive was prov­ing a real hand­ful for the Avondhu side with Crow­ley, Thomas Shee­han and Shane Hickey all find­ing their way in the first half scor­ing stakes.

The sec­ond half saw Mill­street im­prove and pull clear by seven (a goal from Crow­ley the main talk­ing point) how­ever Glan­worth re­sponded once more outscor­ing the win­ners by 1-4 to 0-1 in the clos­ing min­utes (John O’Sul­li­van goal­ing) but ul­ti­mately the dam­age was done early and it is Mill­street that will take to the field for what will be an ea­gerly awaited tie in a few weeks’ time.

MILL­STREET: D O’Leary; B O’Con­nor, A Mur­phy, D Buck­ley 0-1; O Murchu, P Shee­han, S Hickey 0-1; D Kiely, K Crow­ley; M Mur­phy, T Shee­han 0-1, B O’Flynn; C O’Leary 0-1, C Crow­ley 1-4 (2f), N Flahive 0-4 Subs: J Brox­ton for A Mur­phy (49), R Mur­phy for O Murchu (52), T Healy for T Shee­han (55), D Mur­phy for B O’Flynn (61).

GLAN­WORTH: C Cot­ter; T Con­don, E O’Donoghue 0-1, J Cough­lan; P Black­burn, B Gal­lagher, D Con­nolly; D Pyne 1-0 (pen), R O’Driscoll; J O’Sul­li­van 1-1, G O’Neill, D Colfer; P O’Driscoll, S O’Rior­dan 0-1f, M Shee­han 1-2 Subs: W Black­burn for B Gal­lagher (inj)(10), P Han­non for M Shee­han (ht), J Black­burn for J Cough­lan ((inj)(37), J Fitzgib­bon for R O’Driscoll (41), M Shee­han for G O’Neill (48), S Con­don 0-1 for P Black­burn (50)

REF­EREE: J Hor­gan (Gleann na Laoí)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.