Mul­li­nalaghta make his­tory against 12-man Éire Óg

The Irish Times - Monday - Sport - - GaelicGames -

The fairy­tale con­tin­ues for St Columba’s, Mul­li­nalaghta after they be­came the first Long­ford side to book their place in the Le­in­ster Se­nior Club fi­nal. They did it in style at Pearse Park against an Éire Óg side that fin­ished the game with 12 men.

It has been a re­mark­able three years for the half parish, who in 2016 won the Long­ford SFC ti­tle for the first time in 66 years. This year they com­pleted a three-in-a-row and yes­ter­day af­ter­noon cre­ated his­tory.

The game was over as a con­test when James McGivney scored Mul­li­nalaghta’s first goal in the 44th minute after some good play from Gary Rogers.

When Ai­dan McEl­lig­ott flicked the ball to the net in the 49th minute it ex­tended the Long­ford side’s lead to 13 points and they tagged on five more points in the fi­nal 10 min­utes.

Éire Óg were the bet­ter side for the open­ing 10 min­utes but for all their dom­i­nance they strug­gled to get scores on the board with a com­bi­na­tion of poor shoot­ing and some ter­rific de­fend­ing.

Fine save

Mul­li­nalaghta goal­keeper Pa­trick Rogers pulled off a fine save to deny Christo­pher Blake in the sixth minute and in the 10th minute the Long­ford side got their open­ing score through Donie McEl­lig­ott. Blake replied for Éire Óg but then the game turned in Mul­li­nalaghta’s favour as they took con­trol.

Bren­dan Fox and David McGivney kicked over scores to give them a two-point lead and with Pa­trick Fox mar­shalling the de­fence so well Mul­li­nalaghta grew in con­fi­dence. James McGivney over­turned the ball in the 22nd minute to set up Rian Brady be­fore David McGivney (free) and Gary Rogers kicked over points to give the Long­ford cham­pi­ons a five-point lead in the 28th minute.

Éire Óg were re­duced to 14 men in the 30th minute when Ross Dun­phy was shown a straight red for lash­ing out at Ai­dan McEl­lig­ott.

Dar­ragh O’Brien scored the open­ing point of the se­cond half and Éire Óg’s third and last in the 41st minute as Mul­li­nalaghta upped their per­for­mance with Gary Rogers, Rian Brady, Donie McEl­lig­ott and Shane Mul­li­gan to the fore.

Rian Brady pointed over a neat score in the 42nd minute to stretch the lead to seven and then two min­utes later James McGivney found the back of the net. In the 47th minute Christo­pher Blake was sent off for a se­cond yel­low.

And Éire Óg were educed to 12 men in the 50th minute, when after Ai­dan McEl­lig­ott goalled for Mul­li­nalaghta goal­keeper Robert Moore struck him .

Mul­li­nalaghta added five late points to their tally to leave 18 be­tween them in the end.


Éire Óg goal­keeper Robert Moore was sent off after this in­ci­dent in­volv­ing St Columba’s Mul­li­nalaghta’s Ai­dan McEl­lig­ott at Pearse Park in Long­ford.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.