Have I got fake news for you
1. One of these news stories is fake – which one?
(a) Renua has invited presidential runner-up Peter Casey to be its new leader.
(b) A researcher at a station in Antarctica stabbed his colleague because he kept revealing the endings of books.
(c) A new Dublin version of Monopoly has replaced the posh roads with shopping centres and tourist attractions.
(d) A designer has created a boot made from human sweat and fungus for use on Mars.
2. Which of these words appeared most often on irishtimes.com last week?
(a) Fires (b) Caravan (c) Midterm (d) Birthright
3. Who is this? 4. One of these figures is off the mark. Which one?
(a) Patients failed to show up for 500,000 outpatient appointments in 2017.
(b) Patients on trolleys are expected to top 1,000 in a day this winter, according to the IMO.
(c) The world’s animal population has declined by 60 per cent since the 1970s.
(d) Birth rates in Ireland have fallen 30.2 per cent since 2010.
5. Fill in this headline: British chancellor declares ---- “finally coming to an end”
(a) Brexit scaremongering. (b) UK austerity. (c) Irish whingeing. (d) European supremacy.
6. Ireland “leads the EU” in what respect, according to new research?
(a) Most generous country. (d) Best golf courses. (c) Best tax-avoidance base. (d) Sticking it to the Brexiteers.
7. “Seriously, every time you come out in support of Trump you experience a massive backlash. Why do you keep putting your hand back on the hot stove?” – Who was the recipient of this angry email?
(a) Kanye West. (b) Leo Varadkar. (c) Roseanne Barr. (d) Boris Johnson.
8. Who is the odd one out?
(a) Rory Gallagher. (b) Sonia O’Sullivan. (c) Roy Keane. (d) Mother Jones.
9. Akira Kurasawi’s The Seven Samurai was voted best- ever foreign language film in a BBC poll. Which English-speaking classic replicated the plot?
(a) The Magnificent Seven. (b) The Dirty Dozen. (c) Some Like It Hot. (d) The Italian Job.
10 Belfast’s Windsor Park is in the running to host which tournament in 2021?
(a) Champions League Final. (b) Europa League Final. (c) Women’s Champions League Final. (d) Uefa Super Cup.