Quiz of the week
Have I got fake news for you
1. One of these news stories is fake – which one?
(a) An airline accidentally sold business class tickets worth $16,000 for just $675
(b) Netflix has pleaded with subscribers not to take the “Bird Box challenge”, in which people go around blindfolded like the Sandra Bullock characters
(c) China is planning to launch a “fake moon” into space to brighten up the night sky
(d) EastEnders is planning to bring more characters back from the dead, and will dismiss the last 20 years of the soap as “just a dream”.
2. Which of these terms appeared most often on irishtimes.com?
(a) Shutdown (b) New Year (c) Apple (d) Manchester City 3. Who is this?
4. One of these figures is off the mark. Which one?
(a) Nama is on target to deliver a ¤3.5bn surplus by the time it winds down
(b) The new Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia will be the first skyscraper to pass the 1km mark
(c) Tourism figures are expected to rise 12% for 2019
(d) A person who hacked into the Luas website has demanded a ransom of 1 bitcoin
5. Fill in this headline: Mitt Romney says Donald Trump is causing ----
(a) Global dismay (b) Chaos and confusion (c) Stock market jitters (d) An epidemic of Twitter-thumb
6. Nasa has released a photograph of Ultima Thule, a celestial object about a billion miles beyond Pluto. What is its unusual shape?
(a) Christmas tree (b) Snowman (c) Reindeer (d) Amphibious landing craft
7. The Universal: Adventures in Space and Time is coming to Dublin’s 3Arena on Feb 16. What is it?
(a) Ireland’s first Trekkie convention (b) Prof Brian Cox’s new science show (c) The story of Hawkwind (d) A Blur/Bowie tribute act
8. The British Open will take place in July, only the second time in 160 years it will be held outside of England or Scotland. Where will it be?
(a) Antrim (b) Caernarvon (c) Gibraltar (d) The independent monarchy of Brexitania
9. Actor Bob Einstein aka Marty Funkhouser in Curb Your Enthusiasm has died aged 76. What famous comedy character did he create in the 1970s?
(a) Mr Bill (b) The Unknown Comic (c) Chuck Steinhoffer III (d) Super Dave Osborne
10. A new energy scandal looms in Stormont which could dwarf the “cash for ash” controversy. What has Newton Emerson named it?
(a) Dough for glow (b) Moo for poo (c) Bung for Dung (d) Wedge for veg