Deelys hope new DNA tech­nol­ogy can help them

CCTV of Trevor Deely who dis­ap­peared 18 years ago failed to yield any in­for­ma­tion Cold case re­view into 22-year-old’s dis­ap­pear­ance ended with no new leads

The Irish Times - - Home News - CONOR GAL­LAGHER Crime Cor­re­spon­dent

The fam­ily of Trevor Deely, who dis­ap­peared 18 years ago to­day, say their next step will be to see if mod­ern DNA ex­trac­tion tech­nol­ogy could be used to gen­er­ate some leads which would fi­nally help trace his where­abouts.

His sis­ter Michele Deely said new tech­nol­ogy could be ap­plied to pre­vi­ously uniden­ti­fied hu­man re­mains.

The new tech­nol­ogy was suc­cess­fully used last year to iden­tify the par­tial re­mains of Gussie Shana­han, who went miss­ing from Lim­er­ick in 2000.

“We’re talk­ing to the guards about it at the mo­ment to see if there is any­thing there we can use to progress it,” Ms Deely said. A meet­ing be­tween the fam­ily and representatives from Foren­sic Sci­ence Ire­land is be­ing set up, she said.

Trevor’s fa­ther Michael said the fam­ily are “re­al­is­tic” about what hap­pened to Trevor but will hold out hope he is alive “un­til we are told other­wise”.

A re­view into Trevor’s dis­ap­pear­ance con­cluded ear­lier this year with­out pro­duc­ing new leads. While his fam­ily were in­formed of this last April, they are still hope­ful that some­one may come for­ward with new in­for­ma­tion or that ad­vances in DNA tech­nol­ogy might lead to a break­through in the case.

The cold case re­view, which was in­sti­gated at the be­hest of the Deely fam­ily, in­volved a team of six de­tec­tives re-in­ter­view­ing dozens of peo­ple and re­view­ing all the old case files.

En­hanced CCTV footage from the early hours of De­cem­ber 8th, 2000, show­ing 22-year-old Trevor speak­ing to an uniden­ti­fied man at the Bank of Ire­land on Hadding­ton Road, was also re­leased, but it failed to yield any in­for­ma­tion.

“This was our big­gest fear. That we would go through this and there would be noth­ing. Be­cause we did have a sense of hope be­cause it was a very ex­pert, com­mit­ted team who put their heart and souls into it,” Ms Deely said.

Cold case

“That’s the end of that route. Trevor is a miss­ing per­son so his case is al­ways open, but it’s now com­pletely re­ac­tive to any­thing in­com­ing. As a fam­ily we have tried to be as proac­tive as you can pos­si­bly be, but I just feel lost. What do you do next?”

The cold case re­view was un­con­nected to the search of a 12-acre site in west Dublin last year for Trevor’s re­mains. The search did not pro­duce any leads.

Ms Deely ex­plained that the search came about be­cause of a tip-off re­ceived by the Garda and not as a re­sult of the re­view. Gar­daí be­lieve the tip-off was made in good faith.

“It turned out to be wrong. So we’re back to square one,” she said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.