Listry and Fossa must re­play Fr Galvin IFC fi­nal

The Kerryman (North Kerry) - - SPORT -

THIS Fr Galvin Cup Fi­nal, spon­sored by the Aquila Club, was a very en­ter­tain­ing end to end sport­ing game be­tween two closely matched neigh­bour­ing teams. The game went to ex­tra time and that failed to seper­ate the sides, putting the fi­nal to a re­play -date and venue to be de­cided.

Listry got off to a dream start with a goal from the throw in, when Ro­nan Buck­ely took re­turn pass and buried the ball to the back of the net 30 sec­onds into the game. It was tit for tat for the re­main­der of the quar­ter. With Fossa’s Paudie Clif­ford or­chas­trat­ing scores and Tadgh O’Shea ac­cu­rate with frees, Fossa nar­rowed the gap to the min­i­mum with 4 Tadgh O’Shea points to 2 for Listry from the boot of Jimmy O’Leary - 1-2 to 0-4 on 15 min­utes. Listry in­creased their lead with a lovely Ro­nan Buck­ley point from play and were de­nied a goal with a great block by Fossa goal­keeper, Tadgh Ah­ern. The re­sul­tant 45m free came off the post and was the start of a Fossa at­tack.

Paudie Clif­ford made a surg­ing run for­ward and was awarded a free, ably con­verted by Tadgh O’Shea, from a dif­fi­cult an­gle at 21m. A Paudie Clif­ford point on 26th minute, lev­elled the game 1-3 to 0-6. Fossa were in the as­cen­dancy and took the lead with a Tadgh O’Shea pointed free, on the 28th minute. The sides traded points, Paudie Clif­ford (Fossa) and An­thony Sweeney (Listry), leav­ing the min­i­mum be­tween the side at the break: Fossa 0-8 Listry 1-4.

The game con­tin­ued at pace in the sec­ond half. Listry lev­elled the game from the throw in, with a Ro­nan Buck­ely point from play. Fossa re­sponded, but a great block by Listry’s Kieran Mur­phy de­nied what looked like a cer­tain goal. Listry dom­i­nated the next five min­utes. Gary O’Sul­li­van made a surg­ing run for­ward and picked out Aaron Mc Carthy, who sent a rasper to the back cor­ner of the Fossa net. A Peader Keane point from play saw Listry ahead 2-6 to 0-8 on 37 min­utes.

Fossa then worked their way back. Three con­verted frees (Tadgh O’Shea(2), Domh­naill O’Sul­li­van), re­duced the mar­gin to a sin­gle point -2-6 to 0-11, on 41 min­utes. An­thony Sweeney in­creased the gap to 2 with a Listry pointed free. How­ever, a brace of Fossa points (Paudie Clif­ford and Tadgh O’Shea) had the sides level again on 50 min­utes. Ex­cit­ment was at fever pitch. An­thony Sweeney put Listry ahead with a long dis­tance point from play, within a minute.

The game flowed from end to end. Listry’s Peadar Keane was next on the score­board with a point 2-9 to 0-13 with 5 min­utes of nor­mal time re­main­ing. A mas­sive Paudie Clif­ford pointed 45m free and a long dis­tance Tadgh O’Shea point from play, saw the sides level at the end of nor­mal time, send­ing the fi­nal to ex­tra time, on a score­line of Listry 2-9(15) Fossa (0-15).

On re­sump­tion, it was Fossa that scored from the throw in on the open­ing per­oid of ex­tra time, with a Paudie Clif­ford point from play. Listry equalised with a long dis­tance point from Aaron Mc Carthy, 3 min­utes later. Two Listry points without re­ply, saw the team 2 points ahead, Aaron Mc Carthy and Derry Ah­ern on tar­get. Tadgh O’Shea re­duced the gap to the min­i­mum on the stroke of half time. The score at the break was Listry 2-12 Fossa 0-17.

The last pe­riod of ex­tra time was filled with drama, with both sides set­ting up goal scor­ing chances, that were de­nied. Fossa equalised and went ahead, with two Tadgh O’Shea pointed frees. Aaron Mc Carthy equalised with a pointed free. Paudie Clif­ford put his side ahead with a well taken point. How­ever, An­thony Sweeney, held his nerve and lev­elled the game with a vi­tal free, with 2 min­utes re­main­ing. That proved to be the­last score of this hugly en­ter­tain­ing game and the sides will meet again to de­cide which team lifts the Fr Galvin Cup for 2018.

Johnny Bros­nan pre­sented the Man of the Match award, of a years mem­ber­shi of the Aquila Club, to Fossa’s Tadgh O’Shea.

A minute’s si­lence was ob­served be­fore the game and the Ir­ish flag was flown at half mast in hon­our of the late Con Grif­fin and Weeshie Fogarty.

LISTRY: Tadhg Ah­ern, Danny Wrenn, Conor O’Sul­li­van, Sean O’Sul­li­van, Cain Bradley, An­thony Kennedy, Peadar Keane(0-2), Billy O’Brien, Stephen Bros­nan, Ro­nan Buck­ley(1-2), An­thony Sweeney (0-5; 4f), Aaron Mc­Carthy (1-2f), Derry Ah­ern (0-1), Jimmy O’Leary (0-2), Gary O’Sul­li­van. Subs: Kieran Mur­phy, Damian Clif­ford, Eoghan Dar­mody

FOSSA: Colin My­ers, Derry O’Sul­li­van, An­thony Whar­ton, An­thony O’Ke­effe, Kevin Mc­Carthy, Mark Dennehy, Kevin O’Sul­li­van, Fin­tan Cof­fey, Paudie Clif­ford (0-6; 1 ‘45’), Matthew Ren­nie, Daniel O’Ke­effe, Cian O’Shea, Tadgh O’Shea (013; 10f), Chris My­ers, Domh­naill O’Sul­li­van (0-1).Subs: Daniel O’Con­nell, Mau­rice Pren­dev­ille, Michael O’Ke­effe

REF­EREE: Ed­die Walsh (Rath­more)

Con Grif­fin RIP

Dr Crokes CLG and Fitzger­ald Sta­dium Com­mit­tee

We ex­tend sym­pa­thy, on the pass­ing away of Con Grif­fin, RIP, to his wife Cáit, fam­ily and many friends and to Dr Crokes CLG and Fitzger­ald Sta­dium Com­mit­tee.

Con’s ser­vice to the GAA was ex­ten­sive over many decades. He served on East Kerry Coiste na nÓg in the 1980s and went on to serve on the County Coiste na nÓg, as regis­trar in 1990 to 1991 and as Joint Trea­surer (with Liam Moriarty, Kerins O’Rahillys CLG) from 1992 to 1996. He also gave great help in or­gan­is­ing pro­grammes for Coiste na nÓg Chiar­raí.

Con was al­ways help­ful to East Kerry GAA as a mem­ber of the Fitzger­ald Sta­dium Com­mitt­tee. He at­tended the East Kerry games played in Fitzger­ald Sta­dium, en­abling the use of the PA sys­tem and as­sist­ing in so many ways. He will be sadly missed. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.