Killorglin man was ag­gres­sive to gar­daí and mem­bers of emer­gency ser­vices

The Kerryman (South Kerry Edition) - - NEWS - By SINEAD KELLE­HER

A KILLORGLIN man who suf­fers “ex­treme anguish” daily be­cause of his bipo­lar dis­or­der has been given a four-month sus­pended sen­tence by Judge David Wa­ters for as­sault­ing a mem­ber of the gar­daí.

Pa­trick A Walsh of Rangue, Killorglin, was be­fore the dis­trict court on a num­ber of charges re­lat­ing to two sep­a­rate in­ci­dents dur­ing which he was ag­gres­sive to gar­daí and mem­bers of the emer­gency ser­vices who were at­tempt­ing to as­sist him.

On Novem­ber 23, 2015, Mr Walsh had rang 999 be­cause he had a toothache and ser­vices came to his as­sis­tance out­side The Forge Bar in Killorglin. While they were treat­ing him, he be­came ag­gres­sive to the paramedics and gar­daí were called to as­sist after he re­fused to leave.

Garda Padraig Doyle and Garda Sean Dennehy at­tempted to speak to Mr Walsh but he con­tin­ued to be ag­gres­sive to them and re­fused to leave the area. He was ar­rested, and he as­saulted Garda Doyle by jumping off his seat caus­ing Garda Doyle to bend over back­wards re­sult­ing in a back in­jury which left him out of work. He also at­tempted to hit Garda Doyle.

Out­side the am­bu­lance he also kicked out with his feet at both Garda Doyle and Garda Dennehy and he head­but­ted Garda Doyle, the court heard.

In a sep­a­rate in­ci­dent on July 5, 2017, at Church Street Ca­her­siveen, Mr Walsh was ob­served in a drunken state. When gar­daí went to speak to him he told them to ‘feck off’ and con­tin­ued to drink out of a can. He was abu­sive to gar­daí and re­fused to leave when told to do so. In­stead he folded his arms in an ag­gres­sive stance, the court heard.

De­fence so­lic­i­tor, Padraig O’Con­nell, told the court that Mr Walsh was plead­ing guilty to all in­ci­dents. The court heard that he has 24 pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions, the most re­cent of which was in April of this year for pub­lic or­der. He also has con­vic­tions for as­sault and re­sist­ing gar­daí.

Mr O’Con­nell said that his client ‘pro­fusely apol­o­gises’ for his be­hav­iour which can be ex­plained by the al­co­hol he con­sumed. He also told the court that Mr Walsh suf­fers from bipo­lar dis­or­der.

He said that many of those clos­est to Mr Walsh had passed away and he lives an iso­lated ex­is­tence in rented ac­com­mo­da­tion.

“He suf­fers from be­ing bipo­lar and has ex­treme anguish 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.

“He turned to al­co­hol to cope with his men­tal health.”

Mr O’Con­nell told the judge that he was not “deal­ing with some-one liv­ing in the real world”.

Judge Wa­ters said that Mr Walsh had re-of­fended while on a bond from the first in­ci­dent when he as­saulted Garda Doyle and Garda Dennehy but that he would give him a chance be­cause of the tim­ing of the in­ci­dent.

He gave him a four-month sus­pended sen­tence for as­sault­ing Garda Doyle at The Square Killorglin on Oc­to­ber 23. He added that Mr Walsh now has ‘four months hang­ing over him’ and he will get two years if he en­gages in vi­o­lence or pub­lic or­der again.

He was also con­victed and fined €250 for fail­ing to com­ply with the di­rec­tion of the gardai at Church Street Ca­her­siveen.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.