Car­bury are champions

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT -

CAR­BURY FC are Sligo South­ern Ho­tel Su­per League Champions win­ning the ti­tle in style.

They dropped only one point in the process, that was away to Leitrim King­pins Manor Rangers on the 29th April when they drew 3-3.

Car­bury are right now hav­ing a fan­tas­tic sea­son and they scored six goals on Fri­day night at home to Ar­row Harps in Sean Fal­lon Park with a hat trick from the Gareth Kelly - bring­ing his tally to 24, see­ing him win the Ej’s lead­ing scorer award.

Mark McGoldrick, Barry O’Ma­honey and a penalty from Aaron Mur­rin did the dam­age.

That re­sult sees Ar­row Harps in the play off’s and Car­bury crowned champions.

Des­tiny awaits Car­bury on the 27th

May at the Show­grounds Sligo when they take on Mervue United in the Fi­nal of the Con­nacht Cup - what a sea­son and what a team. Ar­row Harps now find them­selves in the play­off po­si­tion for Su­per League sur­vival as they await the top three fin­ish­ers in the Premier League.

Bal­liso­dare United en­ter­tained St John’s FC and hit them for five with­out re­ply - Dy­lan Martin, Peter Murray, Odhran Ma­hon, Adam Grace and a penalty from Dar­ragh Healy saw them fin­ish off their league cam­paign on a high. Bal­liso­dare fin­ished in fourth place on the leader board while St John’s were so un­lucky to hit the rel­e­ga­tion trap­door.

In the Cleary Land­scapes & Pitch Main­te­nance Di­vi­sion One Chaff­pool United are the lead­ers of the pack with a con­vinc­ing win away to Coolaney United.

Hughie Mar­ren was on tar­get with two goals along with a goal each from Kevin Gal­lagher and Damien Wat­ters with James Davey net­ting the only goal for Coolaney United. Gur­teen Celtic have with­drawn from the com­pe­ti­tion so it’s still all to play for es­pe­cially next Fri­day night when the Pool en­ter­tain the Villa.

Sun­day morn­ing saw the Cup Semi Fi­nals take place with clubs in the hunt for sil­ver­ware. On a morn­ing of four sea­sons Strand Celtic wel­comed Bal­ly­mote to the sea­side in the semi-fi­nals of the Glasshouse Ho­tel Cup.

It was Bal­ly­mote who were first out of the blocks when Mark Ir­win got on the end of a long ball and fin­ished past Gra­ham Lee.

On 25 min­utes Strand equalised when Shay Doherty rose at the back post to score from a cor­ner.

The two sides were level at the break but then Lee Mar­shall took the ball down on 55 min­utes and smashed it to the top cor­ner from 25 yards to edge Strand ahead.

Mark McCal­lion was in­tro­duced af­ter 75 min­utes and within two min­utes he was on the score­sheet fin­ish­ing from a tight an­gle. Aaron O’Boyle rounded off the win with a fourth goal which put a flattering re­sult on the board in a game played in very good spirit.

Car­bury, fresh from their league re­sult on Fri­day night, took on a very young Bal­liso­dare United side at Sean Fal­lon Park. Gareth Kelly struck once again to give Car­bury the lead and Gary Fi­nan in­sured vic­tory with the sec­ond killer goal 25 min­utes from time. Bal­liso­dare United are the up and com­ing club of the fu­ture with such an abun­dance of young tal­ent but the day and the sea­son be­longs to Car­bury. Su­per League Champions al­ready they now face a hard chal­lenge against a very tal­ented Strand Celtic next Sun­day at Mac Sharry Park in what prom­ises to be a cracker of a fi­nal in the Glasshouse Ho­tel Cup. Should vic­tory fall to Car­bury then they face the supremo Chal­lenge the fol­low­ing Sun­day at the Show­grounds when they wel­come Mervue United of Gal­way to the fi­nal of the cov­eted Con­nacht Cup.

In the Frank Kennedy Memo­rial Cup Chaff­pool United wel­comed Glen­view Stars to their semi fi­nal en­counter. The Pool took the lead on 20 min­utes with the bril­liant Crios­toir Davey rock­ing Stars with a stun­ning goal and five min­utes into the sec­ond half Crios­toir added his sec­ond to put the Pool firmly in the driv­ing seat. Stars how­ever fought back and their tenac­ity was re­warded on 65 min­utes when Christo­pher McDon­agh fired home giv­ing Stars a life­line. The clock was tick­ing down and it looked all over when on the stroke of full time Stars were awarded a penalty kick. Gino O Boyle stepped up to the spot know­ing this was the op­por­tu­nity to bring the game in to ex­tra time but his ef­fort went sail­ing over the bar and with that their chances of a cup fi­nal spot. John Scan­lon and his team were ju­bi­lant and they now meet Merville United on Sun­day morn­ing the 27th May KO11am Mac Sharry Park.

Merville United were at home to North Sligo ri­vals Ben­bul­ben FC and they gave Merville some fight. Jamie McLough­lin was the star for Ben­bul­ben fir­ing them into the lead with once again Ryan Mc Manus res­cu­ing Merville with the equaliser - a screamer form 40 yards just be­fore half time. Ben­bul­ben were un­phased by this and went ahead on 60 min­utes again the elu­sive Jamie McLough­lin scor­ing. Ben­bul­ben were two min­utes away from a ma­jor vic­tory when once again the bril­liance of Ryan Mc Manus seen his header bring the game into ex­tra time.

Merville upped the tempo with Jor­dan Harte and Conor Cox each net­ting a goal and a penalty from man of the match Ryan Mc Manus to claim his hat trick and wrap up their place in the fi­nal.

Car­bury crowned champions. Left: Kevin Mc Glynn Man­ag­ing Di­rec­tor Sligo South­ern Ho­tel Pre­sent­ing the Su­per League Cup to Car­bury FC Cap­tain Gary Fi­nan

Ross McLough­lin ac­tion against Paddy Her­aghty. Pic: Carl Brennan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.