Sligo play­ers in­volved in New York v Leitrim

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT -

NEW York came ag­o­nis­ingly close to get­ting their his­toric first win of the Con­nacht Cham­pi­onship when they wel­comed Leitrim to Gaelic Park in the open­ing round of the 2018 cam­paign last Sun­day week.

There was a num­ber of Sligo play­ers in­volved with New York, in­clud­ing goalkeeper Vinny Cad­den, the Cool­era/Strand­hill man putting in a great per­for­mance through­out the 70 min­utes.

Colin Keane of St Pa­trick’s came on dur­ing the game, while Calry/St Joseph’s Dar­ragh McCon­non and Keane’s team­mate in St Pa­trick’s Paul Kelly were also part of the ex­tended panel.

The game went to ex­tra time where the Ex­iles were lead­ing and look­ing set for vic­tory, Leitrim doggedly hung on, hit­ting four points in the fi­nal five min­utes of ex­tra time which in­cluded two in the sin­gle minute of in­jury time to win by a mere point in Gaelic Park, fi­nal score was New York 1-15, Leitrim 0-19. Noel Plun­kett the hero for Leitr­rim with the win­ning point in the fi­nal minute.

Leitrim, who found them­selves be­hind by six points in the open­ing half with New York’s Shane Ho­gan, who also found the net for the game’s only goal, and Jamie Clarke among the trou­ble­mak­ers for the home side.

The vis­i­tors got back on track though with Em­lyn Mul­li­gan among their in­flu­en­tial at­tack­ers along with Keith Byrne as Leitrim led by one point at the break, 1-5 to 0-9.

This game was a bat­tle between two evenly matched teams and New York’s Daniel McKenna brought it to ex­tra time, as the sides couldn’t be sep­a­rated on a score­line of 1-12 to 0-15 af­ter 70 min­utes.

New York went three in front but Leitrim were by no means fin­ished.

The Con­nacht men hit four scores with­out re­ply as the hero Plun­kett was mobbed by fans at the fi­nal whis­tle.

Heart­break for New York and the Sligo play­ers in­volved. LATE goals from Shane Har­gadon and Tom Ma­hon helped En­nis­crone/Kil­glass se­cure a three-point win over St Pa­trick’s at Dro­mard last Satur­day evening in Di­vi­sion Two of the Fureys Coaches Se­nior Foot­ball League.

In a close en­counter, St Pa­trick’s held the up­per hand for much of the sec­ond half but a strong fin­ish from the seasiders - with two goals in the fi­nal five min­utes - gave them a win that puts them up to third in the league stand­ings.

The win­ners started this con­test well and went 0-3 to 0-0 up in the early stages, but St Pa­trick’s got off the mark with a goal from Enda Clarke af­ter a long ball into the edge of the En­nis­crone/Kil­glass square.

The home side then fol­lowed with a quick­fire point to take the lead, but En­nis­crone/Kil­glass re­sponded well and af­ter an ex­cel­lent Michael Moyles point, Mark Gor­don net­ted to put his team 1-5 to 1-1 ahead.

St Pa­trick’s fin­ished the half stronger with three points in­clud-

Shane Quinn of Leitrim has a shot on goal pushed over the bar by New York goalkeeper Vinny Cad­den in Gaelic

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.