MUSIC QUIZ OF THE YEAR
TWO €50 PRIZES TO BE WON!
Have you been paying attention this year? Test your 2018 music knowledge in our annual Christms quiz and you could win one of two €50 cash prizes
1. Name the Irish entertainer, first name ‘Sonny’, who passed away in November at the age of 86.
2. Name the Irish country music legend who died at the age of 81. on April 17.
3. Whose ‘River’ featured guest vocals by Ed Sheeran?
4. What is Drake’s full name?
5. Which Rudimental hit featured guest vocalists Jess Glynne, Macklemore and Dan Caplen?
6. Which June UK number one, released to coincide with the World Cup, had also hit the top of the charts in 1996 and 1998?
7. 2018 saw the longest running soundtrack at number one in the
UK in 50. year. What was it?
8. What was the number of the latest ‘Now That’s What I Call Music’ compilation album, released in late November?
9. Which musical movie remake starred Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper?
10. Name the lead singer of the Cranberries who died in January.
11. Name the
Queen of Soul who passed away in August, aged 76, at her home in Detroit. 12. Who won the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 with ‘Toy’?
13. Who sang for Ireland at the Eurovision, placing 16th in the final? 14. Whose ‘One Kiss’ collaboration with Calvin Harris was the second most streamed song in the UK over the year? 15. Which US city is home to both Imagine Dragons and The Killers? 16. Which rapper’s ‘High’ samples Elton John’s ‘Rocket Man’? 17. Which musical film and soundtrack featured the songs of Abba?
18. What was the name of Snow Patrol’s seventh studio album, released in May? 19. Who won ITV’s X Factor in 2018? 20. …and where was that winner from? 21. Whose ‘Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino’ album topped the UK charts?
22. Sigrid, who won the BBC Music Sound of 2018 award, and won Best New Artist at the NME Awards, is a native of which country?
23. Who confirmed in September that they would rock Slane Castle on June 8, 2019?
24. Which Irish festival sold out in a record 15 minutes in December, nine months in advance, and with no lineup yet announced?
25. Which album, considered to be Van Morrison’s masterpiece, celebrated the 50th anniversary of its release this year?
26. In July, which singer won a High Court case against the BBC and was awarded £210,000 in damages?
27. In which year did Fleur East, one of the contestants on 2018’s ‘I’m A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!, finish runner-up in X Factor?
28. Bournemouth’s James McVey, another ‘I’m A Celebrity…’ contestant, is lead guitarist with which British band?
29. Leigh-Anne Pinnock and Perrie Edwards are members of which girl group?
30. Which Irish band announced in October that their eagerly awaited second album would be called ‘MDRN LV’?
31. What was the name of the biographical movie about Queen and the life of Freddie Mercury?
32. ‘Golden Hour’, the 2018 album of which country artist, was named album of the year by Apple Music?
33. Which Elton John song provided the soundtrack for the 2018
John Lewis Christmas ad?
34. Which Scandinavian superstars announced in April that they would release
their first new songs in 35 years?
35. Who announced in Twitter in October that she had become a Muslim and that her new name would be Shuhada’ Davitt?
36. Which Spice Girl opted out of the group’s reunion tour?
37. Who suffered a ‘complete loss of voice’ during a gig in Berlin in September, abandoning the stage mid-show?
38. Which birthday did Madonna celebrate on August 16: a, 40th; b, 50th or c, 60th?
39. Who kicked off their ‘No Filter’ tour at Croke Park on May 17?
40. Who won the Mercury Prize for 2018 for their second album ‘Visions of a Life’?
41. Name the Swedish DJ and producer found dead in Oman on April 20, at the age of 28.
42. Name the Beatle honoured at Buckingham Palace with a knighthood in March.
43. Name the superhero movie that included in its soundtrack ‘9 To 5’ by Dolly Parton, ‘Take On Me’ by Aha, and Air Supply’s ‘All Out Of Love’.
44. Which Aussie star postponed her Dublin and Belfast shows on October 7 and 8 because of a throat infection, later announcing new dates at the 3Arena and Belfast’s SSE Arena in early December?
45. Which Beatles album was reissued in November to mark the
50th anniversary of its release?
46. In July, Green Day’s ‘American Idiot’ climbed the UK charts for the first time in 14 years on the back of a campaign in advance of whose visit to Britain?
47. Who sued James Arthur, claiming his ‘Say You Won’t Go’ bore too many similarities to ‘The Man Who Can’t Be Moved’?
48. Whose lead single from her fourth album was called ‘No Tears Left To Cry’?
49. Who announced that Thank
You & Goodnight would be their final farewell album and tour?
50. After 66 years, which music magazine ceased production of its print edition in March?