Horeswood in ex­cel­lent form

Win­ners among favourites

Wexford People - - SPORT - BREN­DAN FUR­LONG in Tagh­mon

WITH THE knock­out stages on the hori­zon, Horeswood have in­stalled them­selves among the favourites fol­low­ing this em­phatic eleven-point vic­tory over Faythe Har­ri­ers in this Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior hurl­ing championship Group A game in Tagh­mon on Fri­day.

With their quar­ter-fi­nal place en­sured, this was an ideal op­por­tu­nity for Horeswood to turn on the style and they man­aged to achieve this as their free-flow­ing style of hurl­ing saw them dom­i­nat­ing this game from the out­set.

And hav­ing struck 1-3 in­side the open­ing five min­utes, the re­sult was more or less a fore­gone con­clu­sion such was the man­ner that they were al­ready on top.

For Faythe Har­ri­ers it was a case of two points needed to keep their championship hopes alive, but the de­feat leaves them out­side the top four and their ti­tle as­pi­ra­tions are now just a mem­ory as they exit the race, fin­ish­ing fifth in the group.

In truth, it never looked as if they were go­ing to take any­thing from this game such was the to­tal dom­i­nance of the even­tual win­ners.

Once Michael O’Han­lon (free) and Seán Nolan had pointed in­side the open­ing three min­utes, Horeswood im­me­di­ately went in search of fur­ther score, with Eoin Mur­phy flick­ing a high, drop­ping ball to the edge of the square to the net on four min­utes.

One minute later Jamie Myler pounced on the scene to shoot over a point from an acute an­gle.

Now trail­ing by 1-3 to nil, Faythe Har­ri­ers had their open­ing score from a long-range Dean Walsh point on six min­utes, but the avalanche of Horeswood scores con­tin­ued.

Play­ing some qual­ity hurl­ing, they pounced for fur­ther goals, first from Michael O’Han­lon at the end of the open­ing quar­ter af­ter he cut through the de­fence, while Myler added a third af­ter 21 min­utes.

The even­tual win­ners went on to lead by 3-11 to 2-4 at the in­ter­val, with the town side’s two goals com­ing from Rhys Clarke on 17 and 28 min­utes.

There still seemed to be lots of hurl­ing in the Har­ri­ers side, but they were un­able to deal with the di­rect play of their op­po­nents, who looked quite an im­pres­sive out­fit as the game pro­gressed.

Af­ter Clarke and Barry Hearn ex­changed open­ing points, Horeswood still looked com­fort­able as they led by 3-15 to 2-8 at the end of the third quar­ter.

When Seán Nolan fin­ished splen­didly for a goal ten min­utes from the end, it sealed a hugely im­pres­sive dis­play and quar­ter-fi­nal spot for Horeswood ver­sus Rath­nure, as the Har­ri­ers showed lit­tle pen­e­tra­tion against a solid win­ners’ de­fence.

Horeswood: Wayne Power; Damien Hearn, Shane O’Han­lon, Gavin Mur­phy; Danny Byrne, Ea­monn O’Sul­li­van, David Mur­phy; Seán Stafford, Leigh O’Brien; Barry Hearn (0-1), Michael O’Han­lon (1-5, 0-3 frees), Seán Nolan (1-3); Eoin Mur­phy (1-1), Jamie Myler (1-5), Ed­die Breen (0-2). Subs. - De­clan Mur­phy for E. Mur­phy, Craig Col­lier for Breen.

Faythe Har­ri­ers: Adam McDaid; Dáire Reville, Cil­lian Ga­han, Paul Gan­non; Shane Hall, Alan Lynch, Seán Banville; Dean Walsh (0-2), Jack Mur­phy (0-2); Conor Hal­li­gan (0-1), Shane Howard (0-3, 2 frees), Jack O’Leary; Con O Don­nagáin, Rhys Clare (2-2, 0-1 free), Chris Glover (0-1). Subs. Jake Clancy for Reville, Paddy Glover (0-1) for Glover, Cian O Fin­neadha for Gan­non, John Clancy for Hall.

Ref­eree: Jack Stafford (Clongeen).

David Mur­phy of St. Mary’s (Ross­lare) makes a tackle on Monageer-Boolavogue’s Mark Walsh in their Group B clash in Hol­ly­mount on Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.