Tagh­mon take last four place

A straight­for­ward suc­cess

Wexford People - - SPORT - BRIAN CARTY in Net­watch Cullen Park

TAGH­MON-CAMROSS had a straight­for­ward in­tro­duc­tion to the AIB Le­in­ster Club Ju­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship with a 2-19 to 2-7 win over a lim­ited Wolfe Tones (Long­ford) out­fit in Sun­day’s quar­ter-fi­nal at Net­watch Cullen Park, Car­low.

The modus operandi was clear for the Wex­ford In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’ cham­pi­ons - sup­ply the full-for­ward line as quickly and as of­ten as pos­si­ble.

And it was a strat­egy that gained se­ri­ous div­i­dends for Ja­son Ryan’s charges as Cathal Doyle, Stephen O’Gor­man and Luke Sin­nott were in stel­lar form when shar­ing 1-13 be­tween them.

Fun­nily enough, given they were so dan­ger­ous up front, the two goals that knocked the stuff­ing out of the Long­ford club’s meek chal­lenge in the sec­ond-half were a penalty from goal­keeper Jack Dunne and a fluke from Stephen O’Gor­man, so if any­thing there is still room for im­prove­ment from the win­ners.

Wolfe Tones have won ev­ery Long­ford Se­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship since 2013 and also had a provin­cial vic­tory un­der the belts af­ter de­feat­ing Wick­low’s Avon­dale by 0-19 to 1-11 in round one, but their strug­gles here were per­haps sur­mised by the fact that man­ager Seán Browne togged out to make up the num­bers.

Stephen O’Gor­man cre­ated an open­ing im­me­di­ately from the throw-in but screwed a goal chance wide of the post be­fore Sin­nott reg­is­tered a nice opener for Tagh­mon-Camross on two min­utes.

Cathal Doyle and John New­man ex­changed frees, while the for­mer tapped over an­other one af­ter a wild pull on him­self.

Ian Carty then stroked over from the left wing on seven min­utes, while Wolfe Tones goal­keeper Andy Kelly was quick off the line to smother Stephen O’Gor­man on the ground as Doyle knocked over the re­sul­tant ’65 to make it 0-5 to 0-1 af­ter ten min­utes.

Wolfe Tones did goal against the run of play though when a rather hope­ful ball bounced be­yond cover and Paddy Cullen tidily tucked away across Jack Dunne (0-5 to 1-1).

A Doyle free hug­ging the far side­line was can­celled by a more straight­for­ward placed ball from New­man, but Sin­nott re­ally had his eye in dur­ing the first-half, as he pointed over his shoul­der from the cor­ner on 16 min­utes.

Doyle peeled away from at­ten­tion to fol­low suit from the same area of the field, Dar­ren Carty seized a stray clear­ance to knock over their tenth point, while makeshift for­ward Stephen O’Ke­effe stretched the lead to 0-11 to 1-2 af­ter 21 min­utes.

Doyle out­wit­ted his un­for­tu­nate marker again with an­other pre­mium ef­fort from play, while Stephen O’Gor­man hit his goal ef­fort at a com­fort­able height for Kelly to bat away as Tagh­mon-Camross held a com­fort­able 0-12 to 1-3 ad­van­tage at half-time.

Doyle ac­counted for the first two scores af­ter the break, in­clud­ing one free, and was man-han­dled at least twice close to goal for the penalty which Jack Dunne trekked up­field to take and stitch with aplomb.

Stephen O’Gor­man fi­nally got his name on the score­board on 43 min­utes, and also raised a green flag a minute later when his shot dipped into the net for a 2-16 to 1-3 gap.

The win­ners’ last three scores came from sub­sti­tutes as Michael O’Gor­man and T.J. Codd (twice) both knocked over from play, while Wolfe Tones put a bit more re­spectabil­ity to the fi­nal score­line with a brace of points from Mar­tin Coyle and Sea­mus Han­non.

The for­mer was also cred­ited with a late goal as his de­liv­ery ap­peared to drop over the line with­out a touch from any other hurl.

Next up for Tagh­mon-Camross is a trip to Meath to take on Na Fianna - big win­ners against Crooked­wood from West­meath - in the semi-fi­nal on Satur­day week.

Tagh­mon-Camross: Jack Dunne (1-0 pen.); Tom Banville, Alan Nolan, Mark O’Gor­man; Shane Doyle, Ian Carty (0-1), Stephen Stafford; Thomas Fur­long, Dar­ren Carty (0-1); Chris Cullen, Barry O’Gor­man, Stephen O’Ke­effe (0-1); Cathal Doyle (0-9, 0-5 frees, 0-1 ‘65), Stephen O’Gor­man (11), Luke Sin­nott (0-3). Subs. - Michael O’Gor­man for D. Carty, temp. (4-6), O’Gor­man (0-1) for Sin­nott (42), Shane Lacey for C. Doyle (45), T.J. Codd (0-2) for S. O’Gor­man (48), Peter Mur­phy for S. Doyle (54), Robert Nolan for Mark O’Gor­man (54).

Wolfe Tones: Andy Kelly; Cian McLough­lin, Thomas Stakem, Ciarán Fahy; Daniel Con­nell, Barry Stakem, Evan Tully; Mar­tin Coyle (1-2), Seán Noo­nan; P.J. Master­son, Sea­mus Han­non (0-2), John New­man (0-3 frees); Luke Kelly, Mike Keat­ing, Paddy Cullen (1-0). Subs. - Maithiú O’Dono­hoe for Kelly (40), Seán Browne for Keat­ing (43).

Ref­eree: John O’Brien (Laois).

Adam Baziz of St. Mary’s (Maudlin­town) has time on his side as Michael Cullen (GOH) looks on.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.