Celtic res­cue point in derby

Bril­liant Bradley leads fight­back and se­cures a draw

Wexford People - - SPORT - JA­SON GOOD­I­SON in Mullawn­fin

A SPIR­ITED Gorey Celtic fight­back, led by the sen­sa­tional Bradley James, res­cued a valu­able point for the hosts in their Wex­ford School­boys League Un­der-13 Di­vi­sion 1 match in Mullawn­fin on Satur­day.

James, Celtic’s tal­is­man in this derby, had looked dan­ger­ous in the first-half even though his side were up against it.

But, it wasn’t un­til Rangers had dou­bled their lead ten min­utes af­ter the res­tart that the Celtic winger re­ally took the game by the scruff of its neck.

Supplied by Conor Red­mond’s pin­point pass, he blasted his open­ing goal into the roof of the net 17 min­utes into the sec­ond-half, and just seven min­utes af­ter Rangers had got what looked to be their win­ning sec­ond goal.

It cer­tainly made for a fran­tic fin­ish with chances at ei­ther end, but when Cor­mac Good­win’s cor­ner fell at the feet of James twelve yards out from goal with only six min­utes of nor­mal time re­main­ing, there was no ques­tion about where that shot was go­ing to end up.

The draw earned both sides a valu­able point with the sea­son still in its early stages.

With the ma­jor­ity of the drama and ex­cite­ment com­ing af­ter the re-start, the first-half was no­tice­ably qui­eter, with Rangers shad­ing pro­ceed­ings and grab­bing an open­ing goal just be­fore half-time.

Frankie Swin­ton and Luke Christie both fired early shots off tar­get, and Artemy Per­shankov had to be at his best in the heart of the Celtic de­fence to deny Tiernan Meyler and Swin­ton, as both at­tack­ers bore down on goal on two sep­a­rate oc­ca­sions.

James ended two wind­ing runs by forc­ing Cian Wil­son into two rou­tine saves, but first blood was drawn four min­utes be­fore the break when Tom Funge col­lected in mid­field, drove past the Celtic back line, and fin­ished calmly to give his side the half-time ad­van­tage.

Another wind­ing run by James set up Jamie But­ler just af­ter the re-start, but his first-time ef­fort crept ag­o­nis­ingly wide of the near post.

That came min­utes be­fore Rangers had a clear penalty claim de­nied. They cer­tainly have the right to feel ag­grieved af­ter ref­eree Kevin Mur­phy failed to pun­ish Per­shankov for a rare mist­imed chal­lenge on Funge in­side the Gorey area.

How­ever, all ap­peared to be for­got­ten mo­ments later when Matt Ryan whipped his free-kick in over goal­keeper Naoise Byrne and into the cor­ner of the Celtic net.

2-0 is al­ways a dan­ger­ous score­line in foot­ball be­cause one goal can com­pletely shift mo­men­tum in the di­rec­tion of the trail­ing side, and this was ex­actly the case on Satur­day as James’ opener turned the game on its head.

Gorey Celtic: Naoise Byrne; Craig Bai­ley, Artemy Per­shankov, Cor­mac Flem­ing; Tadhg Byrne; Bradley James, Dara Kelly, Cor­mac Good­win, Filip Klempa; Jack Smyth, Jamie But­ler. Subs. (rolling) - Ethan Good­win, Louis O’Hal­lo­ran, Conor Red­mond, Jamie Hughes, Daniel Kem­ple.

Gorey Rangers: Cian Wil­son; Casey Kennedy, Matt Ryan, Ge­orge Ka­vanagh, Conal Flood; Frankie Swin­ton, Dar­ragh Gethings, Ben Mor­daunt, Luke Christie; Tiernan Meyler, Tom Funge. Subs. (rolling) - Max Ryan, Jack Stead­mond.

Ref­eree: Kevin Mur­phy.

The Gorey Celtic squad be­fore Satur­day’s drawn derby tie.

The Gorey Rangers crew who shared the spoils with Gorey Celtic.

Dar­ragh Gethings (Gorey Rangers) evades Jack Smyth (Gorey Celtic).

Filip Klempka of Gorey Celtic bat­tling with Tom Funge (Gorey Rangers).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.