An­thony’s have too much fire­power for Round­wood FC

Wicklow People (Arklow) - - SPORT -

ST AN­THONY’S cruise to the sec­ond round of the Wick­low Cup with a com­fort­able vic­tory over Round­wood at Finns Park.

It was a tense first ten min­utes at Finn Park, with nei­ther side mak­ing a ma­jor effort to put pres­sure on their op­po­nent’s de­fence.

It looked like the game plan for both sides was to not take any risks in the open­ing ten min­utes of the game and risk go­ing a goal down.

Round­wood’s mid­field and striker duo of Dar­ren Gib­son and David John­son were caus­ing huge prob­lems for the home side’s de­fence as John­son picked out the runs of Gib­son on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions.

Gib­son went close on the 17th minute when John­son cut the ‘Anto’s’ de­fence in half with a su­perb through ball but Gib­son dragged his shot just wide of the post.

Round­wood did man­age to hit the back of the net on the half hour mark as Glen Hughes beat St. An­thony’s keeper Rob­bie McNamee be­fore tap­ping into an empty net, but ref­eree Micheal Kennedy blew for off­side just as the ball crossed the line, a huge let off for the home side.

The home side started to take con­trol of the game as they be­gan to dom­i­nate pos­ses­sion with some great pas­sages of play and it wasn’t long be­fore they took the lead through a goal from Larry Kenna.

The Round­wood de­fence had been un­der pres­sure for some time at the end of the half but right be­fore half-time they switched off.

Phillip Doyle picked out Kenna from long range and Kenna made no mis­take and slot­ted past the Round­wood keeper to make it 1-0 just on the stroke of half-time.

The hosts went out of the game early in the sec­ond half and gave chances for Round­wood to get an equal­is­ing goal.

Round­wood’s Rob Byrne and Dar­ren Gib­son went close on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions but just couldn’t find the back of the net.

The St. An­thony’s man­ager looked to the bench to try and make some sub­sti­tu­tions to see out the game and make the dif­fer­ence.

Pa­trick Woods and Cil­lian Thomp­son were in­tro­duced early in the sec­ond half and proved to be the dif­fer­ence in the game.

Woods made an in­stant im­pact as he grabbed the sec­ond goal of the game as he went one on one with keeper Scott Kenna, Kenna pulled off a great save but un­for­tu­nately he could only parry the ball back out to Woods, who bun­dled the ball over the line on the 57th minute.

The home side had a goal ruled out for off­side on the 67th minute when Rob Byrne slot­ted the ball home af­ter a great cross from Phillip Doyle, but again ref­eree Michael Kennedy was ea­gle eyed and spot­ted that Byrne had drifted just off­side be­fore putting the ball into the back of the net.

Un­for­tu­nately Round­wood didn’t use this stroke of luck as a warn­ing of what was to come as they con­ceded an­other goal mo­ments later af­ter a great in­di­vid­ual run from sub­sti­tute Cil­lian Thomp­son.

Thomp­son gained pos­ses­sion just af­ter the half way line be­fore cut­ting out­side to the left wing and whip­ping in a ball across goal for Pa­trick Woods who eas­ily slot­ted the ball home.

The sub­sti­tu­tions early in the sec­ond half by the St. An­thony’s man­age­ment proved to be a vi­tal turn­ing point in the game as Woods grabbed a brace and Thomp­son pro­vided the as­sist for Woods’ sec­ond goal.

Woods and Thomp­son will no doubt be ask­ing to be in the start­ing 11 for their next fix­ture af­ter their per­for­mance on Sun­day.

A dis­ap­point­ing re­sult for Round­wood who had their chances through­out the first half but just couldn’t find the back of the net, but it’s St. An­thony’s who march on to the sec­ond round of the Wick­low Cup. ST AN­THONY’S: 1. Rob­bie McNamee, 2. Char­lie Maguire, 3. De­clan Roper, 4. Stephen Hunt, 5. Dar­ren Byrne, 6. Larry Kenna, 7. Em­met Kenna, 8. Dan Lacey, 9. Jordan Mur­ray, 10. Dar­ren Col­lopy, 11. Phillip Doyle. Subs: Pa­trick Woods for Dar­ren Col­lopy (59min), Cil­lian Thomp­son for Jordan Mur­ray (60min).

ROUND­WOOD AFC: 1. Scott Kenna, 2. David Ka­vanagh, 3. Ross Doo­nan, 4. Kenny Greene, 5. Brian Gal­lagher, 6. David John­son, 7. Kevin Lynch, 8. De­clan Car­sairs, 9. Dar­ren Gib­son, 10. Rob Byrne, 11. Glen Hughes. Subs: John Mur­phy for Dar­ren Gib­son (81min), Dy­lan Gra­ham for Glen Hughes (65min).

REF­EREE: Michael Kennedy

De­clan Roper of St An­thony’s is tracked by Round­wood’s Rob Byrne.

Char­lie Maguire of St An­thony’s closes in on Glen Hughes of Round­wood.

Em­met Kenna of St An­thony’s puts pres­sure on Kevin Lynch of Round­wood.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.