We’re way be­hind with our mort­gage and can’t pay our other bills ei­ther. We’re afraid that the bank will take our home – they keep send­ing us let­ters. What can we do?

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - NEWS -

YOU can con­tact MABS, the Money Ad­vice and Bud­get­ing Ser­vice, to get help un­der the scheme of aid and ad­vice for bor­row­ers in home mort­gage ar­rears. Con­tact the MABS Helpline: 0761 072000 (9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Mon­day to Fri­day) or your lo­cal MABS of­fice.

This scheme is part of Ab­haile, the na­tional Mort­gage Ar­rears Res­o­lu­tion Ser­vice. It pro­vides a range of ser­vices to help you to deal with your sit­u­a­tion, in­clud­ing fi­nan­cial ad­vice, le­gal ad­vice and in­sol­vency ad­vice.

Ab­haile is co­or­di­nated by the De­part­ments of Jus­tice and Equal­ity, and Em­ploy­ment Af­fairs and So­cial Pro­tec­tion. It is op­er­ated by MABS along with the In­sol­vency Ser­vice of Ire­land (ISI), the Le­gal Aid Board and the Cit­i­zens In­for­ma­tion Board. Pan­els of qual­i­fied and reg­u­lated pro­fes­sion­als pro­vide ser­vices un­der Ab­haile. You will qual­ify for ad­vice and as­sis­tance un­der Ab­haile if: You are in­sol­vent – this means that you are un­able to pay your n debts in full as they fall due and

You are in mort­gage ar­rears on your home and n

You are at risk of los­ing your home (for ex­am­ple, if your mort­gage n lender has ini­ti­ated re­pos­ses­sion pro­ceed­ings or in­di­cated that they plan to do so; if they have said that they con­sider you to be non-co­op­er­at­ing; or if they have asked you to con­sider sell­ing or sur­ren­der­ing your home) and

The costs of stay­ing in your home are pro­por­tion­ate to your n rea­son­able ac­com­mo­da­tion needs

You can con­tact MABS to check if you are el­i­gi­ble for Ab­haile (as el­i­gi­bil­ity is de­cided case by case). Read more about Ab­haile on Fur­ther in­for­ma­tion is avail­able from the Cit­i­zens In­for­ma­tion Cen­tre be­low.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.