Naomh Eoin emerge after a crack­ing game

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - MICK HA­GAN at Kil­macurra

THE meet­ing of Noamh Eoin and Michael Dwyers proved to be a his­toric oc­ca­sion as the west Wick­low side made the trip to Kil­macurra to play a com­bi­na­tion oufit of Barn­dar­rig and Avoca in what was an ex­cel­lent lo­ca­tion on a sun-drenched pitch on the third week in Novem­ber.

For the first time in a num­ber of years the Un­der 20 foot­balll cham­pi­onship was run and no doubt the com­pe­ti­tion has be­ing a great ben­e­fit es­pe­cially for the small clubs as the win­ners has proved

Naomh Eoin laid down a marker in the first quar­ter as they took the game to their op­po­nents from the start which saw they dom­i­nate in ev­ery sec­tor of the park which saw the west Wick­low out­fit play­ing sec­ond fid­dle to the home side,

Naomh Eoin mid­fielder Jac­ques McCall found the range with a point from play to get things up and run­ning be­fore Pa­trick Red­mond scor­ing the first of his three points with the play.

Sean Leonard and McCall added a point each soon after to leave Naomh Eoin lead­ing by 0-4 to 0-0 after 12 min­utes.

The new boys on the block showed they were well up for the oc­ca­sion as they con­tined to use the wide open spa­ces and played some de­light­ful foot­ball and were given a boost when Malachy Stone split the vis­i­tors de­fence to score the open­ing goal which in­spired his team mates as the win­ners went on to add four more points to give them a com­mand­ing lead of 1-8 to Colm Keogh’s sin­gle point after 18 min­utes.

A stun­ning re­vival saw Dwyers claw their way back into con­tention through three points from Aaron Byrne (one free), three from Ross Coogan (three frees), a sweet goal from Ian Moore and a point from Padraig O’Toole to leave the half­time score read­ing an un­likely 1-9 to 1-8 in favour of the home side.

Two fine scores from Andy Doyle in­creased the Naomh Eoin lead but it was back a one-point game at the end of the third quar­ter thanks to scores from Ian Moore, Ross Coogan (free) and Padraig O’Toole to make it 1-12 to 1-11 for the home side.

Richard Sheane and Aaron Byrne ex­changed points be­fore Mark Mur­phy slot­ted over to level the game for the first time since the start at 1-13 apiece.

Some bad wides would ul­ti­mately cost Dwyers dear and things looked bleak when Malachy Stone grabbed his sec­ond goal while Adam Wynne and Pa­trick Red­mond ex­changed points to leave it 2-15 to 1-14.

One last ef­fort by Dwyers re­sulted in a penalty which full-for­ward Ross Coogan slot­ted home but time ran out which gave Naomh Eoin a slen­der and de­served vic­tory who laid the foun­da­tion for the win in the first quar­ter.

Naomh Eoin now march on to the semi-fi­nal of the ‘B’ com­pe­ti­tion.

Both clubs de­serve credit for the com­mit­ment and sports­man­ship they dis­played dur­ing the hour, with foot­ball be­ing the real win­ner, and as ges­ture of good­will, Michael Dwyers had only 14 play­ers on duty and the Naomh Eoin se­lec­tors agreed to play 14-a-side. Fair play!

Scor­ers - Naomh Eoin: Malachy Stone 2-2, Pa­trick Red­mond 0-3, Andy Doyle 0-4, Jac­ques McCall 0-2, Sean Leonard 0-2, Stephen Cullen 0-1, Michael Eoin Byrne 0-1.

Michael Dwyers: Ross Coogan 1-2 (p), Ian Moore 1-2, Aaron Byrne 0-3, Padraig O’Toole 0-2, Bryan Kear­ney 0-1, Colm Keogh 0-1, Ian Moore 0-1, Adam Wynne 0-1, Mark Mur­ray 0-1.

NAOMH Eoin: Joe O’Shea; Mikie Fahy, Shane Whe­lan, Johnny Dev­ereux; Tom O’Shea, An­thony Quinn, Jac­ques McCall; Andy Doyle, Malachy Stone; Richard Sheane, Sean Leonard, Pe­ter Red­mond, Dale Fluskey. Subs: Stephen Cullen, David Byrne, Richie Mur­ray, Michael Eoin Byrne, Wayne Costello.

MICHAEL Dwyers: Daniel Twyford Troy, Tieran Ziei­del, Brian Kear­ney, Cormac Burke, Colm Keogh, Adam Wynne, Ian Moore, Padraig O’Toole, Aaron Byrne, Mark Mur­phy, Steven Coogan, Niall Gart­land, Ross Coogan, TJ Byrne. REF­EREE: Robert Roche (Carnew Em­mets)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.