St Kevin’s re­joice!

Le­in­ster ‘C’ ti­tle for Dunlavin stu­dents

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LE­IN­STER ‘C’ First Year Foot­ball

THE fi­nal of the Le­in­ster Schools first year ‘C’ cham­pi­onship took place in Muck­lagh, Tul­lam­ore, on Wed­nes­day last be­tween St Kevin’s Dunlavin and Bal­lyma­hon SS from Long­ford.

Al­though St Kevin’s scored first from a Rob Murtagh point it was the Long­ford school that dom­i­nated the first 20 min­utes. They con­trolled the mid­field area and gave a plen­ti­ful ball sup­ply to their for­ward line whose size and strength caused prob­lems for the Dunlavin de­fence.

St Kevin’s seemed slow to set­tle and looked a pale shadow of the team that had won the Wick­low cham­pi­onship.

After 15 min­utes the score was 4-2 to 0-2 in favour of Bal­lyma­hon but from there on St Kevin’s came more into the game. Goals in the 20th minute by Shane Corrigan and 22nd minute by Conor O’Mara worked won­ders for their con­fi­dence even though Bal­lyma­hon scored an­other goal soon af­ter­wards. Archie O’Rourke then had the ball in the Bal­lyma­hon net but the goal was dis­al­lowed.

How­ever, in the 26th minute, Eoin Deer­ing, who was caus­ing big prob­lems for the Bal­lyma­hon de­fence, scored a Dunlavin goal. When Of­faly ref­eree Martin Walsh blew the half-time whis­tle Bal­lyma­hon led by 5-2 to 3-3.

After the half-time team talk St Kevin’s came out full of de­ter­mi­na­tion for the sec­ond half. They dom­i­nated pos­ses­sion and kept Bal­lyma­hon score­less for the en­tire half.

A David Pep­pard point in the fifth minute set the Dunlavin school on their way but there were no more scores un­til the 17th minute when Eoin Deer­ing found the net to re­duce the mar­gin to a sin­gle point. Bal­lyma­hon did make oc­ca­sional at­tacks but the St Kevin’s de­fence was much tighter now. In the 24th minute the Dunlavin school drew level with a David Pep­pard point to set up an ex­cit­ing fin­ish.

Pep­pard pointed a free in the 27th minute to put his team in front and in the 30th minute Cian Deer­ing added an­other point. Bal­lyma­hon made one last ef­fort for a win­ning goal but the de­fence held firm un­der se­vere pres­sure. St Kevin’s cap­tain Cian Deer­ing was pre­sented with the tro­phy after the game.

Luke Bagnall and Ross Sheri­dan did well in de­fence for St Kevin’s. Ri­ain Waters worked hard in mid­field while Archie O’Rourke, Cian Deer­ing and Eoin Deer­ing caught the eye in at­tack. The team man­ager was Martin Stack.

Scor­ers: Eoin Deer­ing 2-0, David Pep­pard 0-4, Conor O’Mara and Shane Corrigan 1-0 each, Rob Murtagh 0-2, Cian Deer­ing 0-1.

The St Kevin’s CC Dunlavin first year side who defeated Bal­lyma­hon Sec­ondary Schools in the Le­in­ster ‘C’ foot­ball fi­nal in Tul­lam­ore.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.