Sec­ond de­feat on the trot as Seag­ulls slip up to Shels

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - PADDY HICKEY at the Carlisle Grounds


IT turned out to be a dis­ap­point­ing oc­ca­sion for Bray Wan­der­ers for the sec­ond week on the trot as the Seag­ulls came up short against Shelbourne at the Carlisle Grounds on Satur­day af­ter­noon.

But while Gary Cronin’s charges were des­per­ately un­lucky not to grab a share of the spoils, in­stead of a 1-0 de­feat, away to Cobh Ram­blers a week ear­lier, no sim­i­lar hard luck sto­ries could be trot­ted out this time around.

Even the most ar­dent home fol­lower would scarcely claim that the Divi­sion One lead­ers were not full value for their vic­tory, cour­tesy of a goal from an ex­cel­lently de­liv­ered kick by for­mer Bray player Karl Moore af­ter just 14 min­utes.

In front of an at­ten­dance of 1,428 pa­trons, which included Shelbourne legend and ex Repub­lic of Ire­land player Jackie Hen­nessy, the visit­ing side gen­er­ally ex­erted a firm au­thor­ity on the contest and would not have been flat­tered if they had en­joyed a more com­fort­able vic­tory mar­gin at the end of the 90 min­utes.

That this fac­tor failed to ma­te­ri­alise was largely at­trib­ut­able to two ex­cel­lent saves by Wan­der­ers goal­keeper Gabriel Sava early in the sec­ond half.

On 52 min­utes, fol­low­ing a cross from the right wing by Moore, the Romanian na­tive dived smartly to his left to pre­vent a low header from James English from cross­ing the line.

And al­most im­me­di­ately Sava was called into action once again, this time ex­pertly de­flect­ing a header from Moore on to the bar and over for a corner fol­low­ing a cross from Gre­gory Moor­house.

To the delight of the large con­tin­gent of visit­ing fans, Wan­der­ers never really threat­ened Shelbourne goal­keeper Colin McCabe, their best chance oc­cur­ring with time al­most up when Philip Gan­non headed over the bar from a corner taken by Paul Kee­gan.

Ar­guably, Bray’s most pro­duc­tive spell oc­curred late in the first half when they forced three suc­ces­sive cor­ners be­tween the 36th and 38th minute. But to the dis­ap­point­ment of Gary Cronin, the Shelbourne de­fence coped ca­pa­bly with the threat on each oc­ca­sion.

Just before the Dublin out­fit took the lead, Bray cre­ated a scor­ing chance, but fol­low­ing a cross from the right wing, Derek Daly, who was one of the more prom­i­nent play­ers on the home team, drove the ball into the side net­ting.

Fol­low­ing this let-off, Shelbourne worked the ball down to the other end of the field, and in the wake of some strong pres­sure they were awarded a free kick when Moor­house was deemed to have been fouled just out­side the penalty area by match ref­eree Eoghan O’Shea.

And Wan­der­ers were made to pay dearly for their trans­gres­sion when the left-footed Moore beau­ti­fully curled the ball over the wall and into the top right hand corner of the net for a truly su­perb goal.

On 17 min­utes, home spir­its were raised when the pacey Daly put in a sear­ing run down the left, but no team­mate was able to get on the end on his low de­liv­ery which flashed threat­en­ingly across the Shelbourne goal area.

At the other end, Sava gath­ered a shot from Moor­house which lacked sig­nif­i­cant power on 28 min­utes, and then fol­low­ing an­other cross from Daly, Shelbourne cen­tre half Luke Byrne averted the dan­ger with a headed clear­ance.

Then it was the vis­i­tors’ turn to ex­ert some pres­sure, but af­ter a free kick from team cap­tain Lor­can Fitzger­ald, Luke Byrne headed wide of the home goal on 32 min­utes.

Sub­se­quently, an el­e­ment of frus­tra­tion was ob­served be­tween two Shelbourne play­ers when Moor­house com­plained to Ai­dan Friel that a pass should have been de­liv­ered to his feet rather than on a higher level.

That gripe be­tween the visit­ing duo was quickly fol­lowed by Bray forc­ing the three con­sec­u­tive cor­ners, two from the left wing and one from the right wing, but the op­pos­ing de­fence proved the masters in the aerial com­bat on each oc­ca­sion.

On 42 min­utes, Hugh Dou­glas dis­tin­guished him­self for the home side when he got in a very ef­fec­tive block on a goal at­tempt by Moor­house.

And just before the half-time whis­tle, Bray’s Joe Doyle failed to profit from a promis­ing cross by Dy­lan Bar­nett when he was deemed to have com­mit­ted a foul against a Shelbourne de­fender, leav­ing the visit­ing side 1-0 up at the break.

On the restart, Gary Cronin swopped Dean O’Hal­lo­ran, who had started on the right side of mid­field, and Daly, who had featured up front.

But it was Shels who charged out of the blocks, and Bray were let off the hook on 47 min­utes, when, af­ter Bar­nett daw­dled on the ball and was caught in pos­ses­sion, English drove his shot wide of the right post.

Shortly af­ter this let-off for Wan­der­ers, Shelbourne forced their first corner of the game, and al­though it came to noth­ing, they then would have ex­tended their ad­van­tage but for the brace of ex­cel­lent saves by Sava from English and Moore in rapid suc­ces­sion.

Twelve min­utes into the sec­ond half, fol­low­ing some neat in­ter-play be­tween Kil­lian Cantwell and Daly, Bar­nett de­liv­ered in a cross-cumshot which was com­fort­ably saved by Shels’ keeper McCabe.

And five min­utes later, the vis­i­tors had a penalty ap­peal turned down when ref­eree O’Shea ad­judged that Ryan Bren­nan was tack­led le­git­i­mately by the op­pos­ing de­fence.

On 63 min­utes, Bray forced their first corner of the sec­ond half, but once again there was no end prod­uct, and then an in­ci­sive run by sub Dy­lan McGlade, who had re­placed Doyle a few min­utes later, and saw him leave three play­ers in his wake, was even­tu­ally halted by the Shels’ de­fence.

With 13 min­utes re­main­ing, Wan­der­ers forced an­other un­pro­duc­tive corner, and then no player was able to get on the end of an ex­cel­lent cross by Bar­nett from the left wing.

Action then switched to the other end of the pitch, and it re­quired an out­stand­ing tackle from Sean Heaney to pre­vent Moor­house from adding to Shelbourne’s lead.

Some op­ti­mism was har­boured by home fans when it was an­nounced that five min­utes of additional time would be played, and with four min­utes re­main­ing, Gan­non headed over the Shels’ bar from a Kee­gan corner.

With time al­most up, Moor­house robbed Heaney but ended up fir­ing his shot over the Bray bar.

BRAY WAN­DER­ERS: 1, Gabriel Sava; 4, Kil­lian Cantwell, 2, Hugh Dou­glas, 5, Sean Heaney, 3, Dy­lan Bar­nett; 7, Dean O’Hal­lo­ran, 6, Paul Kee­gan, 24, Richie Purdy, 8, Philip Gan­non; 9, Joe Doyle, 11, Derek Daly. Subs: Dy­lan McGlade for Doyle (60), Jake El­lis for Purdy (69). Not used: Adam Hay­den, Dar­ragh Gib­bons, Luka Lovic, Bran­don McCann, Luke Nolan. SHELBOURNE; 25, COLIN MCCABE; 14, AI­DAN FRIEL, 20, DEREK PREN­DER­GAST, 23, LUKE BYRNE, 3, LOR­CAN FITZGER­ALD; 9, JAMES ENGLISH, 17, SHANE FAR­RELL, 4, OS­CAR BREN­NAN, 15, KARL MOORE; 11, GRE­GORY MOOR­HOUSE, 10, RYAN BREN­NAN. SUBS: Co­nan Byrne for English (70), Daniel McKenna for Far­rell (72), Dar­ragh Noone for Bren­nan (85). Not used: Dean De­laney, Alex O’Han­lon, Dayle Rooney, Flavio Marku. REF­EREE: Eoghan O’Shea.

En­niskerry YC mem­bers and of­fi­cials at the Carlisle Grounds for the Bray Wan­der­ers v Shelbourne clash last week­end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.