Strong finish sees Dwyers de­feat Gle­nealy

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT -

MICHAEL DWYERS and Gle­nealy served up an en­joy­able and well fought un­der-13 hurl­ing league en­counter in Gle­nealy re­cently.

Con­di­tions for hurl­ing were good with most play­ers com­fort­able with the play­ing sur­face and dis­play­ing a high level of the hurl­ing skills of lift­ing, block­ing, hook­ing and strik­ing.

The vis­i­tors set­tled early and were the more dom­i­nant side for the first quar­ter with Ivor Fen­ton and Joe Man­i­fold play­ing well at mid­field.

How­ever, the long strik­ing Gle­nealy cen­tre back Lor­can Byrne opened the scor­ing with a lon­grange point af­ter five min­utes.

The western lads re­sponded with an Ivor Fen­ton point from play and Andy Cor­ri­gan’s first point from a free.

On the quar­ter hour mark Gle­nealy went ahead again when cen­tre for­ward Alex O’Dowd shot to the net from a free.

Lor­can Byrne fol­lowed with an­other pointed free as the home side be­gan to get a bit of a run on the game.

An­other long range ef­fort by Lor­can Byrne dropped all the way to the net to push Gle­nealy’s score to 2-2 at this stage but a goal from close in by Cal­lum McCrea helped to keep Michael Dwyer’s in the hunt.

Alex O’Dowd and Lor­can Byrne added two fur­ther Gle­nealy points from frees but the Dwyers ral­lied in the few min­utes com­ing up to half time.

First, Andy Cor­ri­gan soloed through the Gle­nealy de­fence and buried a goal. Alan Ryan com­pleted the scor­ing for the first half with an­other Michael Dwyers point to leave the Gle­nealy lads lead­ing at the break by the min­i­mum mar­gin 2-4 to2-3.

The vis­i­tors be­gan the sec­ond half in a very strong fash­ion and got on top for the first 15 min­utes.

The Gle­nealy de­fence of Keith Law­less in goal, Sean Dunne, Sean Gille­spie, James Byrne and the Fan­nings, Bobby and Jonah, stood up well to the pres­sure but they could not pre­vent fur­ther goals from Andy Cor­ri­gan (2) and Kil­te­gan’s Josh Byrne plus a point from Joe Man­i­fold to put the vis­i­tors in a com­mand­ing po­si­tion mid way through the half.

Andy Cor­ri­gan, Ivor Fen­ton and the hard-work­ing Jimmy Malin were keep­ing up the pres­sure and Gle­nealy looked in dan­ger of los­ing badly.

But to their credit they ral­lied and came back strongly into the game.

Lor­can Byrne pointed an­other free and when a loose clear­ance from the Dwyers de­fence found the same Lor­can Byrne on his own about 30 me­tres out, the Gle­nealy man scored a goal with a great shot.

The score now stood at 5-4 to 4-5 and for a brief pe­riod Gle­nealy were back in the game.

How­ever, the vis­i­tors re­acted to the dan­ger and fin­ished the last ten min­utes strongly.

Top scorer Andy Cor­ri­gan added 1-1, Ivor Fen­ton also got 1-1 and Cal­lum McCrea pointed to leave Michael Dwyers de­serv­ing win­ners on a fi­nal score of 6-8 to 4-5.

Scor­ers: Michael Dwyers: Andy Cor­ri­gan 3-3, Ivor Fen­ton 1-2, Calum McCrea 1-1, Josh Byrne (K) 1-0, Alan Ryan and Joe Man­i­fold 0-1 each.

Gle­nealy: Lor­can Byrne 2-4, Alex O’Dowd 1-1, Conor Doyle 1-0.

Photo: Paul Mes­sitt

Noah Hayes of Michael Dwyers looks to go past Gle­nealy’s Bobby Fan­ning dur­ing their un­der-13 clash in Gle­nealy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.