Can I qual­ify for the State Pen­sion (Con­trib­u­tory)?

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - NEWS -

I will be re­tir­ing soon. I spent many years work­ing and I have also spent time rais­ing and car­ing for my fam­ily. Can I qual­ify for the State Pen­sion (Con­trib­u­tory)?

The State Pen­sion (Con­trib­u­tory) (SPC) is paid from the age of 66 to peo­ple who have worked and have enough so­cial in­surance con­tri­bu­tions. Re­cent changes in­tro­duced a new method to cal­cu­late the rate of SPC paid to a per­son who reaches pen­sion age on or af­ter Septem­ber 1, 2012. The new method can help peo­ple who have spent time out of the work­force car­ing to qual­ify for an SPC.

Firstly, you must be aged 66 or over and have enough Class A, E, F,G, H, N or S so­cial in­surance con­tri­bu­tions, you must have started to pay so­cial in­surance in Ire­land be­fore the age of 56 and you must have 520 full-rate con­tri­bu­tions (ten years of con­tri­bu­tions).

Then, pro­vided you reached pen­sion age on or af­ter Septem­ber 1, 2012, you can have your con­tri­bu­tions as­sessed us­ing the new To­tal Con­tri­bu­tions Ap­proach (TCA) and can avail of a new HomeCar­ing Pe­ri­ods Scheme. The TCA counts the to­tal num­ber of con­tri­bu­tions you have paid. If you have 2,080 or more con­tri­bu­tions (40 years of em­ploy­ment) you will qual­ify for the max­i­mum per­sonal rate of SPC. If you have fewer than 2,080 con­tri­bu­tions, you can use up to 1,040 Home Car­ing Pe­ri­ods (20 years) and up to 520 cred­ited con­tri­bu­tions (10 years), to help you qual­ify for an SPC. Your com­bined Home Car­ing Pe­ri­ods and cred­ited con­tri­bu­tions can­not be more than 1,040 (20 years).

If you reached pen­sion age on or af­ter Septem­ber 1, 2012, your en­ti­tle­ment to a pen­sion will be cal­cu­lated us­ing both the cur­rent yearly av­er­ag­ing sys­tem and the new TCA cal­cu­la­tion. If you are en­ti­tled to a SPC, the rate of pen­sion you get will be based on whichever cal­cu­la­tion is best for you. You can get a State Pen­sion (Con­trib­u­tory) form from your lo­cal post of­fice and your In­treo Cen­tre or So­cial Wel­fare Branch Of­fice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.