Masterclas­s from Evans and Keddy

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - DANIEL HA­GAN at Dun­bur Park, Wick­low

A masterclas­s from Luke Evans and Ro­nan Keddy for Kil­coole helped their side to a com­pre­hen­sive eight-point vic­tory in the In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship over an un­der­whelm­ing Gle­nealy side in Dun­bur Park on Satur­day evening.

Evans and Keddy scored a to­tal of 1-14 of Kil­coole’s scores to get the bet­ter of Gle­nealy, who had drawn with them in the league back in March.

Gle­nealy were look­ing to make it two wins from two cham­pi­onship games af­ter their tight vic­tory over Barn­dar­rig the pre­vi­ous week, whereas this was Kil­coole’s first out­ing in this year’s cham­pi­onship and af­ter last year’s semi-fi­nal de­feat to Ark­low Rock Par­nells, they were cer­tainly look­ing to go at least one bet­ter this year.

The game was full of wides from start to fin­ish with the sides rack­ing up 29 wides be­tween them, Gle­nealy hav­ing 10 of those and Kil­coole ac­cu­mu­lat­ing 19.

Lee Dut­ton stuck over the first point of the game af­ter 30 sec­onds. Gle­nealy’s tac­tics were ev­i­dent early on. Get the ball to Gavin Byrne who would then float high balls up to full-for­ward Alan Con­yard.

Byrne got his side’s first point of the game four min­utes in, his only score from play. Chris O’Car­roll’s puck outs were al­ways tar­get­ing Eoin Keddy, who would gather the ball and run at the Gle­nealy de­fence.

If the at­tacks weren’t com­ing from Eoin Keddy, they were com­ing from Ro­nan Keddy who ran the mid­field bat­tle through­out. Points from these two stretched out their sides lead.

A Gavin Byrne free and a Barry McNabb score pulled the sides level 10 min­utes in. It was a rather scrappy af­fair with both out­fits find­ing it dif­fi­cult to do the simple things, such as lift the ball from the deck.

With a lot of dan­ger com­ing from Eoin Keddy at half-for­ward, Gle­nealy moved Declan Con­yard across to mark him, and he dealt well with the Kil­coole man.

The men from the Goose­bank net­ted with 17 min­utes on the clock. A break­away started by Evans, who played Ro­nan Keddy through on goal and he beat the ex­pe­ri­enced Joey Driver Snr to his left with a pow­er­ful strike.

The Kil­coole joy was short lived, as they con­ceded a goal just one minute later. Alan Con­yard bag­ging his first with a great swivel and fin­ish past O’Car­roll.

The game was be­gin­ning to fade be­fore Con­yard net­ted his sec­ond to give his side a one-point ad­van­tage. A goal­mouth scram­ble al­lowed Con­yard to swipe at the slio­tar with his left boot be­yond the stranded O’Car­roll.

Their lead didn’t last long how­ever, as three points from Luke Evans and an­other by Eoin Keddy gave Kil­coole a three-point ad­van­tage.

There were many stop­pages through­out the en­counter, with play­ers go­ing down with in­juries on both sides, which gave play­ers from both sides a chance to get some much-needed flu­ids.

Ref­eree Eu­gene Doherty blew his half-time whistle with Kil­coole hav­ing a two-point lead (1-10 to 2-5) but Gle­nealy weren’t out of the clash.

Kil­coole came out af­ter the in­ter­val quickly though with scores from the Ro­nan Keddy and Luke Evans (two) ex­tend­ing their lead to five. Gle­nealy were strug­gling to get for­ward and create any rea­son­able op­por­tu­ni­ties as Kil­coole’s mid­field were run­ning the show.

Gle­nealy were also com­mit­ting a lot of silly fouls with some un­nec­es­sary digs at the op­po­nents which led to a few mini scuf­fles off the ball.

Kil­coole should have been out of sight in the sec­ond pe­riod as they racked up 14 wides in the half, and many of those from de­cent po­si­tions. With­out Alan Con­yard’s two well-taken chances, Gle­nealy would have been dead and buried early on.

Luke Evans pointed his 10th and 11th of the match to pull out to a seven-point ad­van­tage. Gle­nealy were tir­ing late on and strug­gling to keep with their op­po­si­tion.

Things turned sour in ad­di­tional time as a brawl in the cen­tre of the pitch was short lived as the ref­eree blew his full-time whistle to sig­nal the end of the clash. A very good vic­tory for a Kil­coole side who will be look­ing to go all the way this year.

Scor­ers - Kil­coole: Luke Evans 0-11 (6f, 1 65); Ro­nan Keddy 1-3; Eoin Keddy 0-3; Dara Keddy 0-1; Lee Dut­ton 0-1.

Gle­nealy: Gavin Byrne 0-6 (5f); Alan Con­yard 2-0; Barry McNabb 0-1; Num­ber 8 0-1.

KIL­COOLE: Chris O’Car­roll; Michael O’Brien, Vinny Quigley, Paddy O’Brien; Eoin O’Brien, Toby O’Brien, Dara Keddy; Ro­nan Keddy, Ciaran Doyle; Eoin Keddy, Gary Coady, Lee Dut­ton; Shane Evans, Luke Evans, Conor Toole. Subs: Adam Cum­mins, Mar­wan Machaalani.

GLE­NEALY: Joey Driver Sr; Oisin O’Neill, Colm O’Neill, Tony Doyle; Mick Byrne, Lee Ka­vanagh, Declan Con­yard; Aaron Meade, Ross O’Brien; Kil­lian Ho­gan, Kevin O’Hal­lo­ran, Fionn MacLochlai­nn; Gavin Byrne, Alan Con­yard, Barry McNabb.

REF­EREE: Eu­gene Doherty

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.