Carnew do enough


Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LIAM O’LOUGH­LIN in Pearse’s Park

CARNEW and Kil­coole played their In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship tie at Pearse’s Park, Ark­low, on Fri­day evening last.

The final score­line would sug­gest a nor­mal enough game of hurl­ing with Carnew Em­mets run­ning out vic­tors by four points.

How­ever, squeezed in be­tween the first whis­tle and the final whis­tle was an ex­traor­di­nary game of hurl­ing.

On an ideal pitch and in ideal weather con­di­tions for hurl­ing we were treated to the clas­sic game of two halves.

Carnew Em­mets be­gan the game in con­fi­dent mood. Their first touch and con­trol was far su­pe­rior to the Goose­bank men in this first pe­riod.

They switched play with con­fi­dence and shot scores reg­u­larly as the op­por­tu­ni­ties arose.

TJ Hen­nessy, Bren­dan McCrea, Jody Byrne and Hen­nessy again from a free had the Wex­ford-bor­der men four points ahead with five min­utes gone.

Kil­coole were strug­gling and badly missed the influence of their tal­is­man, county hurler Ro­nan Keddy. Mid­fielder Peter O’Brien opened their ac­count with a point from play and when Luke Evans added a se­cond on ten min­utes it ap­peared that Kil­coole were weath­er­ing the storm.

TJ Hen­nessey re­sponded with a fifth Carnew point but back came cen­tre-back Toby O’Brien with a long-range score for Kil­coole.

O’Brien had a steady game all through and put up stout re­sis­tance in the first half.

Carnew got mo­tor­ing again and added two points from Bren­dan McCrea and a TJ Hen­nessy pointed free.

Twenty min­utes had gone when the Em­mets net­ted their first goal.

A long clear­ance from the Carnew de­fence car­ried over the half backs in to the ad­vanc­ing TJ Hen­nessy who had time and space to turn and ri­fle a shot past Oisin Curry be­tween the Kil­coole posts.

Two min­utes later dis­as­ter struck for Kil­coole when a lon­grange free taken by Carnew goal­keeper Joe Mur­phy dropped down straight out of the blind­ing evening sun, was lost by every­body and de­flected to the net.

Luke Evans came back for a Kil­coole point but Carnew had not fin­ished the half yet.

Jody Byrne lashed home goal num­ber three and a TJ Hen­nessy pointed free left the half-time score at 3-8 to 0-4 in favour of the Em­mets.

It seemed that the game was ef­fec­tively over and that there was lit­tle chance of Kil­coole get­ting back.

How­ever, we were not to know that Carnew - to use cricket ter­mi­nol­ogy - had “de­clared” and would only score one point in the entire se­cond half.

When play re­sumed there was lit­tle yet to in­di­cate a Lazarus type res­ur­rec­tion by Kil­coole.

Their op­po­nents may have been lulled into a com­pla­cent at­ti­tude but Kil­coole were not set­ting the world afire ei­ther.

As the game neared the fif­teen minute mark in this se­cond pe­riod, Kil­coole had only pulled back two points.

Eoin Keddy pointed af­ter five min­utes and Luke Evans con­verted a long-range free in the twelfth minute.

TJ Hen­nessy struck a post with prac­ti­cally the only scor­ing chance that Carnew had since half-time.

Kil­coole got a sim­i­lar break with a long-range free that Carnew had re­ceived in the first half.

Lee Evans dropped a free into the same goal­mouth and the ball ended up in the net with sub­sti­tute Ciaran Doyle maybe get­ting a touch.

Fif­teen min­utes gone and the score now stood at 3-8 to 1-6.

Carnew were get­ting alarmed and needed to get go­ing again.

How­ever, they were hav­ing dif­fi­culty restart­ing the mo­tors and the mo­men­tum had swung in favour of Kil­coole, who were now win­ning a lot of the breaks in the mid­dle.

Luke Evans had stepped up to the plate and re­duced the gap to two goals with two pointed lon­grange frees.

Eoin Keddy, another Evans pointed free, and a great score from Lee Dut­ton brought Kil­coole within a goal of their ri­vals with two min­utes left on the clock.

How­ever, Jody Byrne lifted the siege for Carnew with a pointed free in the final minute of nor­mal time and the blue and gold brigade could breathe eas­ier in the minute or so of time added on. The final score was 3-9 to 1-11 in favour of Carnew.

Scor­ers – Carnew: TJ Hen­nessy 1-4, Jody Byrne 1-3, Joe Mur­phy 1-0, Bren­dan McCrea 0-2.

Kil­coole: Luke Evans 0-6, Ciaran Doyle 1-0, Eoin Keddy 0-2, Peter O’Brien, Toby O’Brien, Luke Dut­ton 0-1 each.

Carnew’s John Ka­vanagh and Kil­coole’s Toby O’Brien challenge for the slio­tar.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.