Éire Óg de­mol­ish Tinahely to cap­ture league honours

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - MICK HA­GAN

TINAHELY made the long jour­ney to Grey­stones for their fi­nal game in the Di­vi­sion 5 North East League where the op­po­si­tion was pro­vided by a use­ful Éire Óg side.

Both teams en­tered the contest from a dif­fer­ent scale with vis­i­tors com­plet­ing the league cam­paign, while the home side had al­ready been crowned wor­thy league cham­pi­ons and in doing so have qual­i­fied for the Di­vi­sion 5 league fi­nal against Hol­ly­wood.

The home side en­tered the game knowing they were just com­plet­ing league hav­ing gone the cam­paign los­ing only one game. and no doubt the win­ners showed why they a force to be reck­oned with this year when they scored a facile vic­tory over the vis­i­tors.

An early start by the home side saw the win­ners launch the plat­form from the first at­tack Kenny Naughton scored a goal af­ter three min­utes which saw the home side con­tinue to keep the pres­sure on which saw the win­ners add six points in a row through An­drew Kealy, Daniel Salmon, Bran­don Byrne Luke Bradley, Ciaran Mc­Don­ald Kenny Naughton while a rare at­tack by the vis­i­tors re­sulted in cor­ner-for­ward Adam Cullen re­ply­ing with a point which proved to be the vis­i­tors only score of the game which saw the seasiders lead­ing 1-6 to 0-1 af­ter 10 min­utes of the game.

From here on the game proved to be one-way traf­fic as the win­ners went on to dom­i­nate as the Grey­stones men went on to score at will by adding 12 points with­out re­ply to build up a com­mand­ing lead of 1-15 to 0-1 at half-time.

The same pat­tern of play con­tin­ued af­ter the break which saw JP Con­nolly add two more points While Daniel Salmon, Kenny Naughton and half-time sub­sti­tute Thomas O’Brien also got his name on the score sheet to in­crease the lead 1-20 to 0-1 six min­utes into the sec­ond half

Try as they did Tinahely found the go­ing too hot to han­dle and were out of their depth from start to fin­ish but they de­serve credit for mak­ing the long trip for a game that meant noth­ing to they as they were just ful­fill­ing the fix­ture.

The re­main­der of the game saw the win­ners go true the mo­tions of com­plet­ing the game as the went on to add nine more points from play and placed balls and with time al­most up sub­sti­tute John Com­mons hit two sucker punches with two late goals to in­flict more pain on the south Wick­low side which saw the win­ners run out east win­ners in a ex­cel­lent good al round team per­for­mance and judg­ing by the strength of the en­tire panel this Grey stones out­fit they will be firm favourites for both league and cham­pi­onship honours in the months ahead.

Af­ter the game, Mick Ha­gan pre­sented the cup to win­ning cap­tain Wil­lie O’Ha­gan, and in doing so con­grat­u­lated both teams on a sport­ing game and wished both sides in their forth com­ing cham­pi­onship.

Scorers - Éire Óg Grey­stones: John Com­mons 2-0, Kenny Naughton 1-4 (2f), JP Con­nolly 0-9, Ciaran Mc­Don­ald 0-4, Kurt Starke 0-3, Luke Bradley 0-2 (1f), Daniel Salmon 0-2, Bran­don Byrne 0-1, Daniel O’Byrne 0-1, Wil­lie O’Ha­gan 0-1, Thomas O’Brien 0-1, Paul Doherty 0-1.

Tinahely: Adam Cullen 0-1.

The Éire g Grey­stones side who de­feated Tinahely to claim the Di­vi­sion 5 North East League crown.

Éire g cap­tain Wil­lie O’Ha­gan ac­cepts the cup from Mick Ha­gan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.