Hen­nessy shines

TJ in lethal form as Carnew see off Barn­dar­rig chal­lenge

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE at Aughrim


FOR the third con­sec­u­tive game in this year’s In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship Barn­dar­rig’s con­ces­sion of ma­jors proved fa­tal, as Carnew Em­mets raised five green flags in their tough bat­tle in Aughrim last Satur­day evening.

The Kil­macurra men have coughed up a dozen goals in their three games, four against Gle­nealy and three against the Rocks and find them­selves very un­for­tu­nate to be prop­ping up the ta­ble af­ter putting in some se­ri­ous per­for­mances in their first year up from Ju­nior.

Carnew’s TJ Hen­nessy was the chief tor­men­tor for the Barn­dar­rig men in a sunny Aughrim. The full-for­ward bagged 2-7 (three frees) and was the main creator in both of John Ka­vanaghs goals as well as he put his su­perb hurl­ing skills to good use over the course of the hour. If the In­ter­me­di­ate side can keep him from be­ing drafted up to the Se­nior squad then they will be a ma­jor threat for this crown.

Barn­dar­rig had the brighter start to this game and led af­ter a nice Malachy Stone point that fol­lowed two wides for the Kil­macurra side.

TJ Hen­nessy got Carnew off the mark from a 65 with five on the clock but Barn­dar­rig were look­ing very use­ful in those early ex­changes and opened up a 0-3 to 0-1 lead by the 11th minute thanks to points from An­drew Ka­vanagh (free) and Jonathan Nolan af­ter Carnew’s Adam Hughes had been blocked dur­ing a clear­ance.

But Carnew’s goal threat was very real in this game and when TJ Hen­nessy col­lected a long ball from the ex­pe­ri­enced Gra­ham Keogh from full-back he bore down on the Barn­dar­rig goal and dis­patched the ball sweetly into the top cor­ner of Michael Crow­ley’s net giv­ing the Barn­dar­rig net­min­der ab­so­lutely no hope of stop­ping it.

Barn­dar­rig’s recovery was ex­cel­lent. In An­drew Ka­vanagh they have a se­ri­ous ath­lete and a very im­pres­sive hurler. He lev­elled the game and then pushed them

ahead with two won­der­ful scores to make it 0-5 to 1-1 at the end of the first quar­ter.

A mere 60 sec­onds later and all that good Barn­dar­rig work was un­done when good work from Martin Mol­loy gave Hen­nessy the chance of a shot for goal and the ball spilled to John Ka­vanagh who fired home.

A point from Hen­nessy a mo­ment later made it 2-2 to 0-5 and gave the game a rad­i­cally dif­fer­ent out­look.

But there was no shak­ing this Barn­dar­rig team who were without the ser­vices of Michael Mur­phy on the day.

Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan pointed be­fore a foul on Michael Owen Byrne re­sulted in ref­eree Con O Cead­haigh award­ing a penalty and up stepped An­drew Ka­vanagh to face Joe Mur­phy in the Carnew goal.

A goal here would have changed the face of the game again but whether by in­struc­tion or ac­ci­dent, Ka­vanagh drilled the ball over the bar to close to within a point of the Carnew men with 24 gone.

Carnew moved up a gear for the last four min­utes of the half with Hen­nessy grab­bing three points (one free) and al­ways re­li­able Nick Skel­ton swing­ing over a stun­ner from out on the side­line, stand side, to leave Carnew 2-6 to 0-7 ahead at the break.

There was more bad news for Barn­dar­rig just be­fore the break as they lost Michael Cullen to in­jury af­ter a reck­less pull by Carnew’s Hen­nessy that saw Cullen de­part with a hand in­jury and ref­eree Con Ceadaigh flash a yellow card at the Carnew man who did make con­tact with the ball.

A bright start was re­quired by Barn­dar­rig and two An­drew Ka­vanagh points in re­ply to TJ Hen­nessy’s pointed free in the open­ing mo­ments of the sec­ond pe­riod closed the gap to four but when Adrian My­ers’ side­line cut sneaked its way into ther back of Crow­ley’s net af­ter 18 min­utes of the sec­ond half the game was as good as over as a con­test.

An­drew Ka­vanagh tried to lift the heads with two pointed frees but John Ka­vanagh’s sec­ond goal put paid to any hope of a dra­matic come­back and al­though they would find the net through Jonathan Dev­ereux late on, Hen­nessy’s sec­ond ma­jor at the death capped off a fine in­di­vid­ual for him and team per­for­mance for Carnew who now sit atop the cham­pi­onship ta­ble with three wins from three.

Scor­ers – Carnew Em­mets: TJ Hen­nessy 2-7 (4f), John Ka­vanagh 2-1, Adrian My­ers 0-1 (s/l), Justin House 0-1, Nick Skel­ton 0-1.

Barn­dar­rig: An­drew Ka­vanagh 0-9 (5f, 1p), Jonathan Dev­ereux 1-0, Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan 0-1, Jonathan Nolan 0-1, Malachy Stone 0-1.

CARMEW EM­METS: Joe Mur­phy; Cian Moules, Gra­ham Keogh, Paul Mur­phy; Adrian My­ers (capt), Dan Nolan, Adam Hughes; Nick Skel­ton, Richard O’Hara; James Gre­gan, John Ka­vanagh, Justin House; Martin Mol­loy, TJ Hen­nessy, Jonathan Smyth. Subs: Thomas Collins for N Skel­ton, Nick Skel­ton for T Collins.

BARN­DAR­RIG: Michael Crow­ley; David Byrne, Paddy Red­mond, Michael Doyle; Shane Whe­lan, Michael Cullen, Liam Dick­en­son; Jonathan Dev­ereux, Martin Cullen; An­drew Ka­vanagh, Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan, Malachy Stone; Michael Owen Byrne, Tom Doyle, Jonathan Nolan. Subs: J Quinn for M Cullen, E Brennan for T Doyle, D Dick­e­con for D Byrne, A Quinn for J Nolan. REF­EREE: Con O Ceadaigh (Kilcoole)

Photo: Joe Byrne

Barn­dar­rig’s An­drew Ka­vanagh tries to get away from Carnew’s Paul Mur­phy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.