Glens bet­ter Town

Glen­cor­mac see off Ark­low in Chal­lenge Cup clash

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - EOIN HORKAN


GLEN­COR­MAC UNITED and Ark­low Town teams pro­duced a su­perb Chel­lenge Cup game at the Bridge­wa­ter Cen­tre Park in very warm con­di­tions last Sun­day morn­ing.

Both sides went af­ter the game from the open­ing mo­ments as they played some lovely at­tack­ing foot­ball.

Try as they might early on, nei­ther side could break down the op­po­si­tion’s rear­guard with both de­fences clear­ing ball af­ter ball.

The first real in­ci­dent of the game came when the home side broke up­field from a cor­ner. The counter at­tack looked dan­ger­ous un­til the op­po­si­tion goalie Char­lie Fraw­ley came out and fouled the Ark­low at­tacker. This re­sulted in a yellow card for the keeper.

Ark­low Town’s re­sult­ing free kick from nearly 30 yards was shot tamely into the keeper’s hands.

From nearly the next at­tack, Glen­cor­mac striker Oisin Kelly latched onto a ball at the edge of the box and af­ter some beau­ti­ful skill he put the ball past Niall Byrne but for­tu­nately for the home side their cen­tre back man­aged to clear the ball off the to keep the game score­less.

With the heat of the day the ref­eree de­cided to give the teams a wa­ter break. Im­me­di­ately af­ter the break, Oisin Kelly got the ball 52 yards out from goal and his loop­ing shot sailed over the head of Niall Byrne to give Glen­cor­mac the lead.

This goal kicked the home side into ac­tion as they went on the at­tack to get the lev­el­ling goal. This goal came a few min­utes later through winger Cian O Neil who fired home a great shot from in­side the box af­ter some fine in­ter­play be­tween him­self and striker Sciead.

With the game back now level both teams worked hard to grab a lead again. There was some fine pass­ing from both sides but most of the at­tacks were sniffed out by good cov­er­ing defenders.

Just be­fore half-time, Glen­cor­mac winger Bobby Dowl­ing went a mazy run down the wing as he got to the end line he man­aged to lay the ball back to that man again Kelly who man­aged to fire a shot low into the cor­ner to give the op­po­si­tion a lead at the break.

The first chance of the sec­ond half fell to Glen­cor­mac mid­fielder Luke Fraw­ley whose shot from the edge of the box flew nar­rowly wide.

Ark­low Town then had a great chance to level the game af­ter the wa­ter break through O’Neil who was around the back of the de­fence but the an­gle ul­ti­mately ended up been to tight and his shot went wide.

With the game still go­ing from end to end, Glen­cor­mac nearly hit their third goal af­ter some fine wing play but, un­for­tu­nately, Dean Bradshaw couldn’t man­age to get any­thing on the cross to fin­ish the game off.

O’Neil had one fi­nal op­por­tu­nity for the home side but the half vol­ley he hit from the edge of the box flew over the cross­bar.

Dean Bradshaw man­aged to get his name on the score sheet af­ter col­lect­ing a ball from a kick out and fir­ing low into the cor­ner of the net from the edge of the box to fin­ish the game off.

For the last five min­utes, Ark­low Town tried ev­ery­thing to get back into the game but this was to no avail and Glen­cor­mac ran out com­fort­able win­ners in the end.

ARK­LOW TOWN: Niall Byrne, Kasey Clarke, Markus Wolfe, Thomas Burke, Con­nor Han­non, Peter Bod­ied, Gra­ham Martin, Oran Dunne, Jamie Paine, Skied Mare, Cian O‘Neil. Subs used: Padraig Ber­ming­ham, Patrick Doyle, Mar­cel Siek. GLEN­COR­MAC: Char­lie Fraw­ley, Evan Bow­man, Ben Campbell, Michael Shannon, Jamie Greenan, Luke Fraw­ley, Dean Bradshaw, Kieren Grif­fiths, Oisin Kelly, Bradley Cullen, Adam Dut­ton. Subs: Sam Mor­gan, Bobby Dowl­ing, Cian Long­more. REF­EREE: W O’Brien

The Glen­cor­mac United side who de­feated Ark­low Town in the Chal­lenge Cup last week­end.

The Ark­low town side who lost out to Glen­cor­mac United at Bridge­wa­ter Cen­tre Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.