Aughrim back on track

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT -


AUGHRIM notched up their first points in Round 2 of the Fitzger­ald Kitchens Ju­nior ‘A’ Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship thanks to a strong sec­ond-half per­for­mance against Lacken-Kil­bride on Satur­day evening last. Noth­ing could sep­a­rate two well bal­anced teams in the open­ing 30 min­utes, how­ever Aughrim proved more ruth­less in the sec­ond pe­riod.

The game was slighty de­layed as both teams turned out in white and blue jer­seys. A toss of a coin was called for which Lacken-Kil­bride won and Aughrim had to don a set of Balt­in­glass colours for the 60-odd min­utes, which still proved tricky for play­ers on both sides lay­ing off the ball un­der pres­sure at times.

Conor Phe­lan opened Aughrim’s ac­count in the first at­tack with a well-ex­e­cuted point af­ter good work by Robert Lam­bert.

Lively Richard Kee­gan dou­bled the lead af­ter he swung over a sweet right-footed shot.

The lakesiders stead­ied the ship and har­vested a clinical goal from the boot of Ger Mc­Don­ald af­ter great build up play by mid­fielder Tom McKe­own from Lacken-Kil­bride’s first at­tack in the fourth minute.

A Mick Brennan point was quickly fol­lowed up by a well-worked point by Ja­son Doyle af­ter a pen­e­trat­ing run up the cen­tre.

Kevin McLoughlin lev­elled the game with a beast of a point in the next at­tack as the play ebbed and flowed back and forth.

Conor Phe­lan re­stored the lead for the Gran­ite Vil­lage with his sec­ond point of the game. Again, par­ity was re­stored when Sean Mur­phy split the posts from an acute an­gle.

Both sides traded white flags be­fore Luke Smith gave Lor­can Clarke’s side the lead to close out the open­ing quar­ter 1-3 to 0-5 to the good.

The in­dus­tri­ous Conor Lam­bert lev­elled pro­ceed­ings once again as these sides just could not be sep­a­rated.

Tom McKe­own was win­ning lots of posses­sion early on and cut­ting through, build­ing at­tack af­ter at­tack for the lakesiders as Niall Too­lis swung over an­other point go­ing into the clos­ing stages.

Aughrim fought back and yielded a brace of white flags from Richard Kee­gan and Conor Lam­bert.

On the stroke of the half-time whis­tle, Sean Mur­phy fired over an equal­is­ing point with the score­board now read­ing 0-8 to 1-5 at the interval.

Pat Phe­lan landed the open­ing score with a point on the res­tart be­fore the lakesiders re­gained the lead with points from Ger Mc­Don­ald and Tom McKe­own with plenty of free-flow­ing foot­ball on show.

How­ever, Aughrim rose up a cou­ple of gears from here on in as their op­po­nents seemed to tire con­sid­er­ably.

Adam Rochford and a trio of points from Conor Phe­lan built a plat­form for Aughrim to build on.

Aughrim were ruth­less in their at­tack­ing play with Robert Lam­bert and Ja­son Doyle highly in­flu­en­tial as the tide turned in their favour.

The Gran­ite Vil­lage men made hay as the sun shone, har­vest­ing an­other four unan­swered points to push the score­board out to 0-17 to 1-7 with 55 min­utes played.

Lacken-Kil­bride went in search of a badly needed goal but Timmy Broe was un­lucky, his piledriver clear­ing the Aughrim cross­bar.

Sean Mur­phy landed their ninth point but Aughrim ral­lied again with points from Rochford and Robert Lam­bert to close out the game.

Scor­ers – Aughrim: Conor Phe­lan 0-6, Conor Lam­bert 0-3, Pat Phe­lan 0-2, Adam Rochford 0-2, Richard Kee­gan 0-2, Mick Brennan 0-1, Ja­son Doyle 0-1, Shaun Doyle 0-1, Robert Lam­bert 0-1.

Lacken-Kil­bride: Ger Mc­Don­ald 1-1, Sean Mur­phy 0-3, Luke Smith 0-2, Niall Too­lis 0-1, Tom McKe­own 0-1, Kevin McLoughlin 0-1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.