Wicklow teams do county proud

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT -

WICKLOW’S un­der-15 and un­der-13 soccer squads did their clubs and county proud last week in the an­nual Gal­way Cup com­peition in Gal­way with the un­der-15 side los­ing out in the Plate fi­nal af­ter a penalty shootout with Shrew­bury while the gallant un­der-13s fin­ished well up the plac­ings.

The un­der-15s got their cam­paign off with a 1-1 draw with Salthill Devon. This was a game with plenty of chances for both sides with Wicklow edg­ing the shot count. It was 0-0 at half-time aqnd the sec­ond half again saw great play by both teams, with de­fences can­celling out each other un­til Salthill scored from an opportunis­t long-range ef­fort with six min­utes to go.

Af­ter that, it was all Wicklow chances with Ro­nan Gilpin be­ing taken down in the box. He stood up and hit the penalty only to see it saved by the keeper, but he had moved off his line re­sult­ing in a re­take. Ro­nan made no hes­i­ta­tion this time and scored.

The Wicklow un­der-13s opened their cam­paign with a morn­ing game against Dun­dalk. In what was a very good game, Kian Keogh scored for Wicklow just be­fore half-time in the 24th minute. A stone-cold penalty was ignored on the stroke of half-time which might have changed the re­sult. Wicklow went in­lead­ing 1-nil at the break.

Dun­dalk came out of the traps quickly, scor­ing the equaliser five min­utes into the sec­ond half and seal­ing the win four min­utes from theend.

There were mixed for the Wicklow outfits in their af­ter­noon games with the un­der-13’s win­ning 2-0 against Finn Harps and the un­der-15s los­ing 2 0 to a very slick Mervue side.

It was on to Thurs­day then and it was the un­der-15s first up against Shrews­bury Town. This was an­other good game for the Wicklow lads. It was 0 0 at half-time with Wicklow los­ing to the only goal of the game in the sec­ond half, where a draw would have been the fairest re­sult.

It was bet­ter news for the un­der-15s in the af­ter­noon game where they de­feated Long­ford 3-1.

In their Thurs­day game, the Wicklow un­der-13s drew 2-2 with a very handy Car­low side be­fore Fri­day rolled around and it was Water­ford stand­ing in front of the Wicklow un­der-13s in an early kick off.

Both teams needed to win to keep pres­sure on Car­low and Dun­dalk. At half-time things were look­ing bleak for the Gar­den County side with Water­ford lead­ing 2-0 af­ter two sim­i­lar well­worked goals.

In the sec­ond half Wicklow came out strong and tried very hard to get the goal that the play de­served at times, but strong Water­ford de­fence kept them out.

Water­ford’s third goal came from a well-taken free kick. The score line did not re­flect the over­all play.

The Wicklow un­der-15s en­joyed a sweet suc­cess on the Fri­day when they stopped Cheery Orhcard’s un­beaten run to se­cure a place in the Plate fi­nal.

This was a great game with lots of skill and pass­ing from both teams. In the first half Wicklow had the bet­ter chances with five ef­forts on goal to one for Cherry Or­chard and a fan­tas­tic save by the Cherry Or­chard goal­keeper to keep it 0-0.

In the sec­ond half, Wicklow started as they left off with a cou­ple of de­cent chances be­fore Shane Byrne scored a rasper from a cor­ner af­ter 10 min­utes. Great fight and ef­fort from all with an­other penalty claim not given.

That sent the un­der-15s on to the Plate fi­nal where nor­mal time showed 0-0 be­tween them and Shrew­bury Town with the Bri­tish side win­ning 4-3 on penal­ties.

Well done, lads.

The Wicklow un­der-15 side who reached the Plate fi­nal in the Gal­way Cup.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.