Moore­house ma­jes­tic as Bray beat Carnew

Christy kick­starts Bray re­vival with stun­ning dou­ble

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - BRENDAN LAWRENCE at Aughrim


A stun­ning sec­ond half from Bray Em­mets stal­wart Christy Moore­house helped Paul Car­ley’s men to a mem­o­rable vic­tory over James Hickey’s Carnew Em­mets on Sun­day af­ter­noon in Aughrim and main­tains their un­beaten run in this year’s Light­ning Pro­tec­tion Ire­land Se­nior Hurl­ing Cham­pi­onship cam­paign.

Re­duced to some­thing akin to a by­stander in the first half thanks to the at­ten­tions of Con­all McCrea, the switch­ing of Moore­house to the edge of the square on to an ex­posed full-back Oisin Fur­long proved piv­otal with the sub­limely tal­ented at­tacker bag­ging two goals in nine min­utes to turn a dog eat dog bat­tle on its head.

As well as the Moore­house move, Carnew will at­tribute much of the los­ing of this game to Jack Doyle’s send­ing off for two yel­lows af­ter the mid­fielder, who had a su­perb game up un­til his dis­missal by ref­eree John Keenan at the end of the third quar­ter, pulled on a loose ball but missed, con­nect­ing with the leg of Marc Len­non and re­ceiv­ing his sec­ond yel­low card of the day.

Doyle’s ab­sence was huge for Carnew. His abil­ity to win dirty ball and de­liver scores or de­liv­er­ies is cru­cial and from a po­si­tion of be­ing two points ahead at the time of his de­par­ture they were two down in a mat­ter of min­utes when Eoin McCor­mack fol­lowed Christy’s free with a won­der­ful goal.

This was an in­trigu­ing bat­tle from start to fin­ish. Bray Em­mets re­main the team to beat in this year’s cham­pi­onship but it will take a mon­u­men­tal ef­fort to achieve that given their strength all over the field and the ex­tremely strong bench when re­quired. News that Ar­ran Mur­phy has re­turned from Canada only fur­ther serves to boost their re­serves.

They will be con­cerned at their low point tally, barely break­ing dou­ble fig­ures and five of those from frees but they un­locked the Carnew de­fence with such ruth­less­ness and pre­ci­sion in that sec­ond half that scor­ing points was well down their list of pri­or­i­ties.

Carnew will be gut­ted at this de­feat. Qual­i­fi­ca­tion to the knock-out stages is still as­sured but this was a chance for a semi-fi­nal berth and a psy­cho­log­i­cal blow to the Bray men and it was clin­i­cally taken away from them af­ter they had worked so hard in that open­ing half to go in lead­ing by 1-4 to 0-3 with mas­sive hopes of push­ing on.

James Hickey will have to take pos­i­tives. They scored 1-13 and had a bet­ter spread of scor­ers with Enda Dono­hoe ac­count­ing for seven (five frees, one 65) of the to­tal. Their goal came from the hurl of John Doyle Jnr who shows signs of huge po­ten­tial at just 18 years of age while Padraig Do­ran, Wayne Kin­sella, Con­all McCrea, Daire Fo­ley and Jack Doyle con­tinue their fine seasons to date.

Hickey’s squad is now boosted by the pres­ence of TJ Hen­nessey who was sprung from the bench, thus rob­bing him from the In­ter­me­di­ate team but who will pro­vide a new scor­ing threat for the Se­niors. His in­tro­duc­tion proved too late in the day for Carnew on Sun­day, but he will be a thorn in the side of any de­fence from here on in.

Paul Car­ley’s men move on un­beaten and in an ex­cel­lent place as they look to re­claim the O’Donoghue Cup from the men of Gle­nealy.

They had strong show­ings from Moore­house in that sec­ond half, their de­fence as a whole, John Hen­der­son and Luke Maloney, while Diar­muid Master­son looks dangerous when he gets on the ball. They had the lux­ury of bring­ing on Eoin and Ben McCor­mack, with both get­ting ma­jors, Joe Phe­lan, Ciaran McKay, and Ben Kearney while their subs list also boasts the names of Paul Cun­ning­ham and Cathal O Du­lachain to name but a few.

As well held as the Bray at­tack were on Sun­day in that open­ing half, the man­age­ment were still able to spring at­tack­ers of the qual­ity of Eoin and Ben McCor­mack from the bench to drive hard and fast at the stretched Carnew de­fence.

They are a united squad this sea­son by the looks of things, their ex­ploits in the Dublin league has proved ben­e­fi­cial and they have to be in­stalled as right­ful favourites to take the crown de­spite a road ahead with plenty of turns no doubt.

Things didn’t look so pretty at half-time in this game when Paul Car­ley’s men went in trail­ing by four at 1-4 to 0-3. A re­turn of three points for 30 min­utes of hurl­ing must be set­ting alarm bells ring­ing in Bray and must be sug­gest­ing pos­si­ble ap­proaches to mam­moth games in the last four to po­ten­tial op­po­nents.

The rea­son for the low tally was the fe­roc­ity and work rate of the Carnew men who came out of the traps in sav­age fashion in this game.

There was hardly space to breathe in the open­ing five min­utes as both sides recorded two wides apiece be­fore Wayne Kin­sella col­lected a Padraig Do­ran ball to slot over the open­ing score.

Carnew were show­ing a host of po­si­tional switches with their de­fence match­ing up well with the Bray at­tack while the for­ward unit, led by a two-man in­side line, was rad­i­cally al­tered com­pared to the pro­gramme.

Bray bagged an­other two wides, one from Marc Len­non be­cause of a hook from Jack Doyle af­ter eight min­utes be­fore Oisin Fur­long would be found guilty of foul­ing Davy Maloney and Christy Moore­house con­verted the free to get Bray up and run­ning af­ter 10 long bar­ren min­utes.

A stun­ning 1-1 from Carnew in the next two min­utes served to rock Bray back on their heels. A su­perb point from Enda Dono­hoe was fol­lowed by a won­der­ful goal from John Doyle Jnr af­ter 12 to make it 1-2 to 0-1 for James Hickey’s side.

Wides will be a fault which Carnew will look to mend be­fore their next out­ing and they added two more to their tally be­fore an­other Moore­house free re­duced the deficit af­ter 16.

Bray were re­cov­er­ing slowly but surely and a fine move in­volv­ing Padraig Doyle and John Hen­der­son re­sulted in Diar­muid Master­son split­ting the posts to leave two be­tween the sides af­ter 20 min­utes.

The game was pep­pered with wides and each side had an­other apiece be­fore Enda Dono­hoe con­verted a free won by the hard-work­ing Padraig Do­ran while the ageless Timmy Collins drove over af­ter good work by John Doyle Jnr and Jack Doyle to push Carnew out to a 1-4 to 0-3 lead at the break.

Eoin McCor­mack was in­tro­duced at half-time for Bray and the bad look was taken off the score­board within sec­onds of the restart when Christy Moore­house ram­paged down on the Carnew goal be­fore bat­ting home past Bob Fitzger­ald. Martin O’Brien may have had cause for a free for a push in the back prior to the Moore­house gain­ing pos­ses­sion.

Carnew re­cov­ered well with points for Enda Dono­hoe and Jack Doyle ei­ther side of a Moore­house free be­fore Dono­hoe struck over a bomb from deep in his own half to leave James Hickey’s men ahead by three.

But Moore­house wasn’t fin­ished yet. With Bray pulling the Carnew de­fence out from goal and cre­at­ing space in front of Moore­house and Oisin Fur­long the long ball tac­tic was em­ployed to dev­as­tat­ing ef­fect.

A long ball was plucked from the sky by Moore­house who turned for goal and de­spite los­ing his hurl was still able to kick to the back of the net past Fitzger­ald and tie the game af­ter nine of the sec­ond half.

Still Carnew showed se­ri­ous gump­tion and re­cov­ered swiftly with Dono­hoe (free) and a beauty from Jack Doyle but then came the big­gest blow of them all. A loose pull and Jack Doyle was gone on a sec­ond yel­low and from here on Bray took con­trol.

Paul Car­ley’s side had an­other 1-3 on the board be­fore Carnew could catch their breath, the goal from Eoin McCor­mack af­ter a surg­ing run, and then an­other two af­ter Enda Dono­hoe had pointed in the 20th minute.

James Hickey sent in TJ Hen­nessy as they went in des­per­ate search of ma­jors but credit to Bray, they weren’t go­ing to al­low handy ball into the tal­ented at­tacker, and they shut down any real chances Carnew might have had.

The game was de­cided af­ter 25 when Ben McCor­mack goaled af­ter Bob Fitzger­ald came too late for a ball. That made it 4-8 to 1-11.

Wayne Kin­sella had a late chance of a goal, but Conor McNally’s leg got in the way and it went over for a point.

This was a big win for Bray. It keeps mo­men­tum build­ing and it will drive them on to big­ger and bet­ter things by the looks of it.

Carnew must put it be­hind them, and quickly.

They should take ma­jor pos­i­tives from the per­for­mance and they will un­der­stand that they are not very far away from where they want to be.

Scor­ers – Bray Em­mets: Christy Moore­house 2-7 (5f), Eoin McCor­mack 1-0, Ben McCor­mack 1-0, Diar­muid Master­son 0-2, Padraig Doyle 0-1.

Carnew Em­mets: Enda Dono­hoe 0-7 (5f, 1 65), John Doyle Jnr 1-0, Wayne Kin­sella 0-2, Jack Doyle 0-2, Padraig Do­ran 0-1, Timmy Collins 0-1.

BRAY EM­METS: Conor McNally; Pe­ter Kiely, Karl Lacey, Seanie Maloney; Cian Lo­han, Daire Lo­han, Daire Hen­der­son; John Hen­der­son, Luke Maloney; Marc Len­non, Ro­nan McMa­hon, Christy Moore­house; Padraig Doyle, Davy Maloney, Diar­muid Master­son. Subs: Eoin McCor­mack for R McMa­hon (H/T), Joe Phe­lan for D Maloney, Ben McCor­mack for L Maloney, Ciaran McKay for S Maloney, Ben Kearney for P Kiely.

CARNEW EM­METS: Bob Fitzger­ald; Martin O’Brien, Oisin Fur­long, Daire Fo­ley; Con­all McCrea, John Doyle Snr, Aaron Kin­sella; Paudi McGing, Jack Doyle; John Doyle Jnr, Timmy Collins, Padraig Do­ran; Enda Dono­hoe, Wayne Kin­sella, Joe Hughes. Fionn Fur­long for A Kin­sella, TJ Hen­nessy for P McGing, Mark Collins for O Fur­long (inj).

REF­EREE: John Keenan (Aughrim)

Carnew’s Pádraig Do­ran on the burst against Bray Em­mets in Aughrim.

Carnew’s John Doyle Jr gets the first goal of the game.

Bray’s Sean Maloney looks to escape the at­ten­tions of Enda Dono­hoe.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.