Carnew in con­trol

Em­mets too good for waste­ful Strat­ford-Grange­con

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - at Kil­te­gan


A very im­pres­sive per­for­mance from Carnew Em­mets saw them put a waste­ful Strat­ford-Grange­con to the sword in the Darcy Sands In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship clash played in Kil­te­gan on Fri­day evening last.

A Carnew side in­spired through im­pres­sive show­ings from Padraig Do­ran, Sean Mur­phy, Con­all McCrea and Bren­dan McCrea were never re­ally in any trou­ble from a hard-work­ing and hon­est Strat­ford-Grange­con team who quite sim­ply proved too way­ward in their shoot­ing and never truly trou­bled Cor­mac Doyle in the Carnew goal to any great ex­tent.

James Hickey’s men on the other hand were hun­gry for ma­jors from the off and had their first within a mat­ter of min­utes when cor­ner-back Paul Nolan horsed the ball over Pa­trick Cronin’s line for the per­fect start for the Wex­ford bor­der men.

Strat­ford-Grange­con would fire eight wides in that first half as well as some out­stand­ing scores while in the sec­ond half they lacked real pen­e­tra­tion through a well-stocked Carnew de­fence who sought to break at ev­ery op­por­tu­nity.

Nolan’s early goal set­tled Carnew and nippy cor­ner-for­ward Cil­lian Gil­li­gan lofted over a won­der­ful point off his left to fol­low it up for a 1-1 to 0-0 lead.

Loyal and im­mense Strat­ford-Grange­con ser­vant Kieran Byrne got them off the mark with a pointed free af­ter two ear­lier wides from team cap­tain Mark Mur­phy.

A John Ka­vanagh free and Cil­lian Gil­li­gan’s sec­ond, this time af­ter a shaky Strat­ford-Grange­con kick-out, left Carnew sitt­ting pretty at 1-3 to 0-1 ahead, but Strat­ford-Grange­con owned the next short spell but could only con­vert one of three chances, that an­other pointed free from Kieran Byrne.

Carnew lost John Wal­she to in­jury at this point and sent in Enda Dono­hoe in his stead with Adrian My­ers drop­ping back to the full-back line.

Kieran Byrne re­duced the Carnew lead to three points be­fore fine Strat­ford-Grange­con play saw sin­gles from Colin Byrne and an out­stand­ing ef­fort from Matt Man­ley to leave just one be­tween the sides at 1-3 to 0-5.

Carnew gath­ered their thoughts and had white flags from Con­all McCrea who re­acted quick­est to a John Ka­vanagh free com­ing off the up­right and a Cil­lian Gil­li­gan bomb.

Strat­ford-Grange­con needed to hold steady and get to the half-time break within sight of Carnew as they would be play­ing down the hill in the sec­ond half. Alas, goals from Bren­dan McCrea and Cil­lian Gil­li­gan put paid to those hopes and Carnew took a dom­i­nant 3-5 to 0-5 lead into the half-time hia­tus.

Any no­tions that Carnew would re­lax or that the hill would play any huge part in the sec­ond half were soon dis­pelled when Con­all McCrea bagged two fine scores ei­ther side of a Michael Man­gan ef­fort.

Carnew in­tro­duced John Doyle Jnr to the fray and the young­ster went on to have a su­perb stint, bag­ging 1-2 to his credit, the goal a cheeky lit­tle punt past Cronin.

Strat­ford-Grange­con never once threw in the towel and bat­tled right to the death with team cap­tain Mark Mur­phy fir­ing over one of the scores of the game to bring the cur­tain down on the game with Carnew Em­mets run­ning out con­vinc­ing win­ners at 4-15 to 0-12.

Carnew had big games from Bren­dan McCrea, Con­all McCrea, Sean Mur­phy, Cil­lian Gil­li­gan and An­drew Hughes. They look to be an im­prov­ing side with plenty of op­tions off the bench.

Strat­ford-Grange­con were well served as al­ways by Kieran Byrne, and they had fine show­ings from Ian Moore, who bagged two beau­ti­ful points late on, Michael Man­gan, Matt Man­ley, Mark Mur­phy and Colin Byrne to name but a few.

Scor­ers – Carnew Em­mets: Cil­lian Gil­li­gan 1-3, Bren­dan McCrea 1-1, John Doyle Jnr 1-2 (1f), Con­all McCrea 0-4 (1f), John Ka­vanagh 0-3 (3f), Paul Nolan 1-0, Sean Mur­phy 0-1, Enda Dono­hoe 0-1.

Strat­ford-Grange­con: Kieran Byrne 0-4 (1f), Colin Byrne 0-2, Ian Moore 0-2, Matt Man­ley 0-1, Ja­son Bol­ger 0-1, Mark Mur­phy 0-1, Michael Man­gan 0-1.

CARNEW EM­METS: Cor­mac Doyle; John Wal­she, An­drew Hughes, Paul Nolan; Adrian My­ers, Padraig Do­ran, Niall Os­borne; John Doyle Snr, Sean Mur­phy; Jack Doyle, Con­all McCrea, Bren­dan McCrea; Cil­lian Gil­li­gan, John Ka­vanagh, Nick Skel­ton. Subs: Enda Dono­hoe for J Wal­she (inj), John Doyle Jnr for N Skel­ton, Justin House for J Ka­vanagh, Paudi McGing for C Gil­li­gan, Joe Hughes for B McCrea, Mark Collins for P Nolan

STRAT­FORD-GRANGE­CON: Pa­trick Cronin; Joe O’Neill, Mar­cus Han­bidge, Eric Fen­lon; Adam Doyle, Eoin O’Neill, Ian Moore; Mark Lan­don, Shane Byrne; Mark Mur­phy, Matt Man­ley, Kieran Byrne; Ruairi Phe­lan, Ja­son Bol­ger, Colin Byrne. Subs: James Nor­ton for L McGrath, De­clan Bol­lard for M Lan­don (BC)

REF­EREE: Stephen Fa­gan (Baltinglas­s)

Strat­ford-Grange­con goal­keeper Pa­trick Cronin stretches to try to block Cil­lian Gil­li­gan’s shot.

Conal Mc Crea of Carnew is tracked by Joe O’ Neill of Strat­ford-Grange­con.

John Doyle of Carnew gets a hand pass away as Eric Fen­lon of Strat­ford-Grange­con closes in.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.