Dunlavin on a high af­ter win­ning five from five

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - PAT DUNNE at Hollywood


DUNLAVIN made it five wins from five fol­low­ing their fi­nal group game and con­firmed them­selves as group winners and straight into the semi-fi­nal of the Darcy Sand’s In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship with this com­fort­able win over Strat­ford-Grange­con on Sun­day evening last in a glo­ri­ous Hollywood.

Strat­ford-Grange­con started the brighter with the dy­namic Mark Murphy fir­ing over the open­ing point inside the first minute for Pat Lambe’s side.

Shane Carthy lev­elled mat­ters in the next at­tack to get Jonathan Daniels’ side up and run­ning. Mark Murphy re­stored the lead, but this was can­celled out when Eoin Murtagh carved over a point af­ter a riv­et­ing run.

To­mas Lawlor was next out of the blocks for Dunlavin, with his first point of the evening. Shane O’Rourke missed a sit­ter of a 21-me­ter free af­ter Paddy Cronin was deemed to over­carry/time waste.

Dunlavin lost Mark O’Sul­li­van on a black card for a foot trip and he was re­placed by Mark Reid. Kieran Byrne lev­elled pro­ceed­ings with a point af­ter great work by Mark Lan­don.

An Alan Deer­ing point closed out the open­ing quar­ter with the score­board read­ing 0-4 to 0-3 in favour of Dunlavin.

A cou­ple stray shots went wide for Dunlavin be­fore a good pas­sage of play be­tween Cian O’Sul­li­van and Eoin Murtagh fin­ished with Shane Carthy reg­is­ter­ing his sec­ond white flag of the game.

Eoin and Joe O’Neill were just about com­pet­ing with the pres­sure be­ing ap­plied by Dunlavin. How­ever, a lovely bit of in­di­vid­ual play by Eoin Murtagh saw the county man cut clean through Strat­ford’s rear­guard and fire his shot past Paddy Cronin in the 20th minute.

Shane O’Rourke landed Dunlavin’s sixth point of the game. Matt Man­ley replied with a well taken point for the Grange­con side.

Dunlavin were still ap­ply­ing pres­sure go­ing into the clos­ing stages of the half, with pa­tient play, keep­ing pos­ses­sion.

Fionn Dee­gan laid the ball across to Alan Deer­ing who flicked home, as he ap­peared to be in the square, how­ever, the goal stood as the half-time whis­tle sounded with the lead now 2-6 to 0-4.

Two pow­er­ful points on the restart from To­mas Lalor built a nice cush­ion for Dunlavin. Colin Byrne replied with a point as Eoin O’Neill and Kieran Byrne were bat­tling hard for the Slaneyside­rs.

They were re­warded with a brace of points, be­fore calls for a penalty were waved away by the off­i­cal, much to the an­noy­ance of the Strat­ford fol­low­ing.

Dunlavin broke up the field and Shane Carthy landed another point which was duly fol­lowed by another from To­mas Lalor.

Paul Murtagh put the re­sult be­yond doubt with a clin­i­cal fin­ish off the un­der­side of the cross­bar, to land their third green flag of the day to close out the third quar­ter with the score­board read­ing 3-11 to 0-7.

Strat­ford got a glim­mer of hope when Mark Murphy crashed the ball past Tom McGuirk in the next at­tack, as they bat­tled away valiantly.

Paddy Cronin had a point­blank save from a Shane Carthy shot. Shane O’Rourke and Matt Man­ley traded points go­ing into the fi­nal few mo­ments. To­mas Lawlor closed out the scor­ing with a brace of points, a great fin­ish to the week for the club, with their Ju­nior Bs qual­i­fy­ing for the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Dunlavin have time to re­cover now and await their op­po­nents in the semis af­ter the last eight stage.

Strat­ford-Grange­con will have to re­group quickly and face into the prospect of a dreaded rel­e­ga­tion semi-fi­nal.

Scor­ers - Dunlavin: To­mas Lawlor 0-6 (1f), Alan Deer­ing 1-1, Eoin Murtagh 1-1, Paul Murtagh 1-0, Shane Carthy 0-3, Shane O’Rourke 0-2, Dar­ragh Dil­lion 0-1

Strat­ford-Grange­con: Mark Murphy 1-2, Matt Man­ley 0-3 (1f), Kieran Byrne 0-2 (1f), Colin Byrne 0-1, Michael Man­gan 0-1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.