Winners face Laragh in last eight af­ter beat­ing Carnew

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE at Pearse’s Park, Ark­low


KIL­COOLE will face Laragh in the quar­ter-fi­nals of the Darcy Sand In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Champi­ion­ship fol­low­ing this im­pres­sive win over a weary look­ing Carnew in Pearse’s Park, Ark­low, last week­end.

The de­feat sends James Hickey’s men on a col­li­sion course with Coolkenno in their last-eight bat­tle where con­cerns over the man­ner in which they faded from this game in the sec­ond half will have to be to the fore for the dual side.

A dis­as­trous third quar­ter was the un­do­ing of the Carnew men when they went from 0-7 to 0-6 ahead of Kil­coole to 0-11 to 0-7 be­hind as the Goose­bank men charged ahead with a real light­ness to their play.

It was a thor­oughly en­ter­tain­ing first half in beau­ti­ful sun­shine. Carnew’s John Ka­vanagh opened the scor­ing af­ter Bren­dan McCrea had ghosted across the 45 avoid­ing a num­ber of de­fend­ers be­fore find­ing Ka­vanagh who drifted over a fine score off the right af­ter 60 sec­onds.

Carnew mid­fielder Sean Murphy made the first of a num­ber of marks from the sub­se­quent kick-out and the young­ster would go on to have a su­perb game for James Hickey’s side and has to be con­sid­ered as some­thing of a sweet find af­ter spend­ing much of his for­ma­tive years play­ing soc­cer.

Two Carnew wides were fol­lowed by Kil­coole’s opener from full-for­ward Matt Gilbert af­ter a foul on Luke Evans with five on the clock.

Af­ter the open­ing ex­changes Kil­coole set­tled down in their back line and looked com­fort­able with Keith Reynolds pick­ing up the elu­sive Con­all McCrea, Matthew Man­nix mind­ing John Ka­vanagh and Luke Reilly try­ing to cur­tail the threat­en­ing John Doyle Jnr.

The afore­men­tioned Doyle would push Carnew in front af­ter nine with a su­perb strike off his left bookt only for the im­pres­sive Danny Ka­vanagh to do like­wise at the other end 50 sec­onds later as the play moved swiftly up and down the field.

Carnew’s Con­all McCrea ar­gued the point over an ef­fort he had at the posts, but it will be for­ever recorded as a wide while Danny Ka­vanagh most cer­tainly had his Weetabix ear­lier that day be­cause he floated over a screamer off his left from 45 out with 12 on the clock to give Kil­coole the lead for the first time.

A John Ka­vanagh free squared things up and then a Jack Doyle fisted point, in­spired by a Sean Murphy mark it should be said, re­turned James Hickey’s men to the front with 18 gone in a stir­ring game of foot­ball where the small crowd were be­ing treated to some good per­for­mances from Eoin and Ro­nan Keddy, Vin­nie Quigley and De­clan Roper for Kil­coole and Padraig Do­ran, Con­all McCrea, Sean Murphy and An­drew Hughes for Carnew.

Pa­tience was a key fac­tor in some of Kil­coole’s scores in that open­ing half. A dr­fit­ing Carnew de­fence was mak­ing life quite dif­fi­cult for the Goose­bank men but they lev­eled mat­ters af­ter 20 min­utes when Matt Gilbert got on the end of a calm build up to fire over.

A fine Carnew burst saw them tear open a three-point gap in the space of four min­utes thanks to mi­nors from John Doyle Jnr, Adrian My­ers and Sean Murphy.

How­ever, Kil­coole re­cov­ered and brought them­selves to within a point of the Carnew men through two white flags from Eoin Keddy to leave it 0-7 to 0-6 at the break.

The third quar­ter was the key phase of the game.

Kil­coole looked fresher and moved with much more pur­pose and 0-11 to 0-7 up by the 10th minute through Eoin Keddy (2), Matt Gilbert and Danny Ka­vanagh as they got to grips with Carnew all over the field with Luke Reilly shin­ing bright at corner-back.

James Hickey tried to spice things up, send­ing in Justin House and then Niall Os­borne and while they brought it back to a one­point game at 0-11 to 0-10 af­ter 16 min­utes through John Doyle Jnr, Bren­dan McCrea and Con­all McCrea that was re­ally as good as it got as the last quar­ter was one that sug­gested a sense of tired­ness among the Carnew play­ers as Kil­coole en­joyed pas­sages of keep-ball with Carnew fail­ing to push up from their de­fen­sive shape for long pe­ri­ods.

Kil­coole had fur­ther scores from Jack Bel­lamy and Matt Gilbert while a John Ka­vanagh side­line hopped off the cross­bar and over for a late Carnew score be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle sounded send­ing James Hickey’s men for another bat­tle with Coolkenno while Kil­coole will face Laragh in what prom­ises to be a very ex­cit­ing strug­gle for a semi-fi­nal berth.

Scor­ers – Kil­coole: Matthew Gilbert 0-4 (1f), Eoin Keddy 0-4, Danny Ka­vanagh 0-3, Jack Bel­lamy 0-2.

Carnew Em­mets: John Ka­vanagh 0-3 (1f, 1 SL), John Doyle Jnr 0-3, Jack Doyle 0-1, Adrian My­ers 0-1, Sean Murphy 0-1, Bren­dan McCrea 0-1, Con­all McCrea 0-1.

KIL­COOLE: Glen Tighe; Luke Reilly, Matthew Man­nix, Keith Reynolds; Dara Keddy, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Bel­lamy; Ro­nan Keddy, Cor­mac Byrne; Eoin Keddy, Vinne Quigley, Luke Evans; De­clan Roper, Matthew Gilbert, Danny Ka­vanagh. Subs: Lee Dut­ton for V Quigley (42), Chris Car­roll for D Roper (57).

CARNEW EM­METS: Cor­mac Doyle; John Wal­she, An­drew Hughes, Paul Nolan; Adrian My­ers, Pádraig Do­ran, Enda Dono­hue; John Doyle Snr, Sean Murphy; Jack Doyle, Con­all McCrea, Bren­dan McCrea; John Doyle Jnr, John Ka­vanagh, Nick Skel­ton. Subs: Justin House for N Skel­ton (40), Niall Os­borne for J Wal­she (42), Jack Collins for J Doyle, Paudi McGing for P Do­ran.

REF­EREE: Kieran O’Shea (Ti­na­hely)

Ac­tion from the Darcy Sand In­ter­me­di­ate foot­ball cham­pi­onship match be­tween Kil­coole and Carnew.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.