No stop­ping Enniskerry

Facile win over Newtown

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - MICK HAGAN at Enniskerry


THE fi­nal round of the Philip Doyle Ju­nior B Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship saw Enniskerry and Newtown face each other in what was a must win match for both clubs with the home side need­ing at least a draw to qual­ify for the knock­out stages while the Mag­pies needed a win to keep their cham­pi­onship hopes alive.

In the end it was the home side who emerged vic­to­ri­ous with a 19-point win­ning mar­gin in a game that was played in ex­cel­lent con­di­tions at Enniskerry on Thurs­day evening last and which sees the Enniskerry men face Ti­na­hely in the quar­ter-fi­nals of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Hav­ing suf­ferd a first-round de­feat by Avoca the north Wick­low side have bounced back to dis­play their old form which paved the way for this lat­est vic­tory thanks to an ex­cel­lent all-round team per­for­mance.

Enniskerry showed they were well up for the oc­ca­sion when David Bar­ton opened the scor­ing with a goal af­ter three min­utes.

Newtown re­acted very well with two quick points in re­ply from wing back Aaron Toner and vet­eran Wayne Hamilton to re­duce the deficit to 1-0 to 0-2 af­ter six min­utes.

Enniskerry took the game to their op­po­nents once more and they went on to score four unan­swered points from the boots of Anto O’Neill Alan King, Bren­dan Bar­ton and Colm Nolan.

Again, Newtown re­tal­i­ated com­mend­ably. Two poor wides were fol­lowed by a point each from Justin Owens and Oisin Greenan which saw the score read 1- 4 to 0-4 at the of the first quar­ter.

The pre-match favourites upped the tempo and con­tin­ued to be dom­i­nate in most sec­tors which saw them con­vert their dom­i­nance into scores with Anto O’Neill and Gavin Bar­ton adding a point each.

How­ever, the real killer blows ar­rived when Enniskerry struck for two goals in the space of four min­utes from top scorer Bren­dan Bar­ton and Anto O’Neill to end the game as a con­test.

Enniskerry would add four more points be­fore half-time while Newtown could reg­is­ter points from Barry Davis (free) and Michael Hef­feran to leave it 3-10 to 0-6 at the break.

On re­sump­tion of play the Bar­ton brothers con­tinue to cause havoc in the Newtown de­fence and added a point each much to the de­light of the home sup­port­ers.

The next eight min­utes saw few scores, but the much hun­grier home side con­tinue to pile on the pres­sure and were re­warded with two points from Gavin Bar­ton (one free) and a Rhys Hope ma­jor to leave Enniskerry lead­ing by 4-13 to 0-6.

The re­main­der of the game saw Paudie Byrne’ side go through the mo­tions of com­plet­ing the game with Bren­dan Bar­ton adding two points while Gavin Bar­ton and sub­sti­tute Jack Con­roy added one each to com­plete the home side’s scor­ing.

A late rally by the chal­lengers saw them fire over four points but there was no stop­ping Enniskerry who will now take on Ti­na­hely in the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Scor­ers Enniskerry: Bren­dan Bar­ton 2-7, Gavin Bar­ton 0-6, Rhys Hope 1-1, Anto O’Neill 1-1, Jack Con­roy 0-1, Colm Nolan 0-1.

Newtown: Barry Davis 0-2 (2f), Aaron Toner 0-1, Wayne Hamilton 0-1, Justin Owens 0-1, Stu­art Sin­nott 0-1, Ciaran McGuirl 0-1, Sean Od­lum 0-1, Michael Hef­fer­nan 0-1, Ian Far­rell 0-1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.