Carnew Em­mets stroll past dis­ap­point­ing Rocks

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LIAM O’LOUGH­LIN at Aughrim

CARNEW EM­METS and Ark­low Rocks re­newed their ri­valry in the first of this year’s In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing semi-fi­nals played at Aughrim in ideal hurl­ing con­di­tions on Satur­day evening last.

These two clubs be­gan a great sport­ing ri­valry in the late six­ties which en­dured through the next cou­ple of decades but in more re­cent years the for­tunes of both clubs have gone in dif­fer­ent di­rec­tions.

Based on last Satur­day’s re­sult, this will re­main the po­si­tion for the present at least, as the Carnew men ran out very com­fort­able win­ners as the Ark­low side failed to ever threaten be­yond half-time.

The open­ing min­utes were quiet enough for both sides with wides be­ing recorded at ei­ther end.

Pro­ceed­ings were not be­ing con­tested at a high level of in­ten­sity but grad­u­ally the Em­mets be­gan to move ahead.

Full-for­ward Jody Byrne had their open­ing point af­ter six min­utes and one minute later he had the ball in the net.

The pacey Bren­dan McCrea raced through the heart of the Par­nell’s de­fence be­fore set­ting up Byrne who gave Keith Barnes lit­tle chance.

Carnew con­tin­ued to press and Jody Byrne pointed a free to leave them ahead by 1-2 to 0-0 af­ter ten min­utes.

Ark­low Rocks were com­ing more into the game at this stage but had a cou­ple of bad wides be­fore Cian Doyle got them off the mark with a pointed free af­ter thir­teen min­utes.

Carnew re­sponded straight from the puck out when Martin Mol­loy went through and picked off an­other point.

Straight from the Rocks puck out, the Em­mets were back on the at­tack and Jody Byrne wrong sided John Fur­long when con­test­ing a drop­ping ball and beat the ad­vanc­ing Keith Barnes to reg­is­ter his sec­ond goal 2-3 to 0-1 to the Carnew men at the quar­ter-hour mark but A.R.P. en­joyed their best spell in the game from here on to the half time break.

Tony Kin­sella at cen­tre back and mid­field­ers Paddy Mel­lon and Colm O’Con­nor and the half-for­ward line came right into the game and kept the flow of play mov­ing to­wards the Carnew goal.

A com­bi­na­tion of way­ward shoot­ing by the for­wards and a rock solid de­fence dis­play by Gra­ham Keogh at full-back for the Em­mets meant that the Rocks did not reap the re­ward in scores that they might have done in this pe­riod.

Dar­ragh Walker had a point from play and Cian Doyle pointed an­other free com­ing up to 20 min­utes.

Nick Skel­ton re­sponded with a point for Carnew and that score was bal­anced by a Tier­nan Mel­lon point from play.

It proved to be the last score for ei­ther side for this half.

The fi­nal ten min­utes of the half saw no scor­ing div­i­dend to the Rocks de­spite a fa­vor­able share of play.

It soon be­came ev­i­dent in the sec­ond pe­riod that the Rocks were not go­ing to res­cue the game.

With­out ever ris­ing too much of a gal­lop Carnew grad­u­ally ex­tended their lead.

Jody Byrne pointed a free two min­utes into the half and went on to add three more points from play in ad­di­tion to two more points from Jonathon Smith and Bren­dan McCrea to leave the Em­mets ahead by 2-10 to 0-4 by six­teen min­utes.

Ark­low had still to reg­is­ter a score in this half. Their only real scor­ing ef­forts came from Cian Doyle long-range free at­tempts, which were wide on a few oc­ca­sions.

Doyle did land a point af­ter 18 min­utes and brought the Par­nells’ fi­nal tally to 0-6 three min­utes from time.

Goal­keeper Joe Mur­phy landed two points from 65s and cor­ner-back Adam Hughes, who had a steady game all through added the re­main­ing point for the Carnew men.

The sec­ond half was con­tested at a leisurely pace much of the time with there be­ing an air of in­evitabil­ity about the re­sult from a long way out.

Ark­low Rocks dis­ap­pointed and never re­ally gave the im­pres­sion that they might win this game.

The fi­nal score was 2-13 to 0-6 in favour of the Carnew side.

Scor­ers – Carnew: Jody Byrne 2-6, Joe Mur­phy 0-2, Bren­dan McCrea, Jonathon Smith, Martin Mol­loy, Nick Skel­ton and Adam Hughes 0-1 each.

ARP: Cian Doyle 0-4, Dar­ragh Walker and Tier­nan Mel­lon 0-1 each.

Sean Somers com­petes with Carnew’s James Gre­gan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.