Carnew and St Pat’s progress to semis

Bat­tle with Gle­nealy on the cards in se­nior semi-fi­nal

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LIAM O’LOUGH­LIN at Aughrim

CARNEW EM­METS will face Gle­nealy in the Light­ning Pro­tec­tion Ire­land Wick­low Se­nior Hurl­ing Cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal af­ter they over­came a dogged Kil­te­gan out­fit in the Aughrim on Satur­day evening last.

As the score­line might sug­gest, the real dif­fer­ence be­tween the two sides lay in the abil­ity of Carnew to score goals when­ever Kil­te­gan showed signs of get­ting close.

Al­ter­na­tively, the west­ern side could jus­ti­fi­ably claim that the dif­fer­ence lay in their own ten­dency to con­cede pre­ventable goals.

This was an­other stage on a no­tice­able up­ward move­ment on the graph of Kil­te­gan im­prove­ment.

They had prob­a­bly the out­stand­ing player on the field in Padraig O’Toole who gave a great dis­play at cen­tre half back and who chipped into their score with a cou­ple of fine long-range points.

Padraig is an out­stand­ing dual player and it is surely a must that he be avail­able for se­lec­tion for Wick­low hurlers when they be­gin their league cam­paign.

How­ever, let’s not over­look the fact that the Em­mets won this game by 11 points, a com­fort­able win­ning mar­gin in any lan­guage. They were led only once, and they achieved the ob­ject of the ex­er­cise – a place in the semi-fi­nal.

The ev­er­green Timmy Collins got the open­ing point for Carnew al­most from the throw in. Seanie Ger­maine lev­eled from a Kil­te­gan free and the same man put his side ahead for their only time when he con­verted an­other free af­ter six min­utes.

Two Enda Dono­hoe points from frees within a minute of each other re­gained the lead for the Em­mets, a lead they were not to re­lin­quish again.

The tempo of the game was not high in these early stages as both sides shot a cou­ple of wides. How­ever, a Padraig Do­ran goal for Carnew af­ter ten min­utes opened up a four-point gap at 1-3 to 0-2.

It seemed to in­ject more ur­gency into the Kil­te­gan play and the west­ern side en­joyed a good spell over the next ten min­utes or so.

Seanie Ger­maine pointed from play, Padraig O’Toole had an­other from long range and when Ger­maine pointed an­other free on 20 min­utes Kil­te­gan were back within a point again.

Then within the space of two min­utes Carnew went seven points clear as they net­ted two goals. Wayne Kin­sella soloed through and blasted home the first while Tim­mye Collins col­lected a line ball played across field about 20 me­tres out from the Kil­te­gan goal, sidesteppe­d his marker mak­ing enough space to shoot a ground shot past Luke Byrne in the Kil­te­gan goal.

This was Carnew’s third goal in a row and knocked back any progress Kil­te­gan had made. Wayne Kin­sella got the fi­nal Carnew point of the half while Seanie Ger­maine from a free and mid­fielder Padraig Byrne added points for Kil­te­gan to leave the Em­mets 3-4 to 0-7 ahead at the break.

The sides ex­changed three points apiece in the open­ing ten min­utes of the sec­ond pe­riod Padraig Do­ran got the open­ing score which was replied to by Kil­te­gan full-for­ward Mick Man­gan.

A long-range ef­fort from Wayne Kin­sella was bal­anced by a sim­i­lar ef­fort by mid­fielder Rory Finn. Kil­te­gan cen­tre back Padraig O’Toole got his sec­ond point of the day but once again Enda Dono­hoe re­sponded with a pointed free.

Then, just as hap­pened in the first half, Carnew turned the game on its head in the space of two min­utes with two fur­ther goals.

The first came from the boot of Wayne Kin­sella, who guided the ball home past Luke Byrne from close to goal.

Straight from the puck out Carnew were back for full for­ward John Doyle (Jnr) to fin­ish off goal num­ber five.

With the lead now gone out to 12 points, this ef­fec­tively fin­ished any prospect of Kil­te­gan re­cov­er­ing.

How­ever, they con­tin­ued to bat­tle on and had fur­ther points from Seanie Ger­maine (two frees), Padraig Byrne, JJ Phe­lan, and wing back Dar­ragh Byrne to bring their fi­nal tally to 0-15.

Carnew fin­ished their scor­ing with two fur­ther Enda Dono­hoe points from frees and two more from Padraig Do­ran, one of which also came from a free. Both free tak­ers, Enda Dono­hoe and Seanie Ger­maine, had un­char­ac­ter­is­tic misses from frees dur­ing the sec­ond half as the game ran out to its pre­dictable con­clu­sion.

Carnew played a con­tain­ing game, which was un­der­stand­able with the cush­ion of goals they en­joyed. Kil­te­gan took some con­so­la­tion from the fact that they had al­most the same num­ber of scores as their op­po­nents. But goals win games.

Scor­ers- Carnew Em­mets: Wayne Kin­sella 2-2, Padraig Dor­nan 1-3, Enda Dono­hoe 0-5, Timmy Collins 1-1, John Doyle (jnr) 1-0.

Kil­te­gan: Seanie Ger­maine 0-7, Padraig O’Toole 0-2, Padraig Byrne 0-2, Mick Man­gan, Rory Finn, JJ Phe­lan and Dar­ragh 0-1 each.

Carnew’s Jack Doyle gets his shot away dur­ing the SHC clash against Kil­te­gan.

Ac­tion from the SHc clash be­tween Carnew Em­mets and Kil­te­gan in Aughrim last Satur­day.

Kil­te­gan’s Sea­mus Coogan tries to block Carnew’s John Doyle Jnr.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.