An­nacurra in no mood for mess­ing in play-off

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - REL­E­GA­TION PLAY-OFF at Pearse’s Park

AN­NACURRA started much the bet­ter of the two teams in the open­ing half in this Darcy Sand In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship rel­e­ga­tion play-off match in Pearse’s Park, Ark­low.

Martin Ging’s men raced into a three-point lead thanks to a fisted goal by Clive Ho­ran af­ter five min­utes.

The pick of their scores came from Gearóid Mur­phy with an out­side of the boot strike from 45 yards and a fine ef­fort from the hard­work­ing Alan Byrne.

Strat­ford-Grange­con mid­fielder Matthew Manley had reg­is­tered his sec­ond point by the 24th minute but it wasn’t enough as An­nacurra were in com­plete con­trol of the open­ing half.

A Frank Clune goal on the 18th minute fol­lowed by an im­pres­sive strike from Mick O’Brien from 45 yards guided An­nacurra to nine-point lead at the break (2-5 to 2 points).

It was Strat­ford-Grange­con who started the sec­ond half much the bet­ter with Matthew Manley reg­is­ter­ing his third point of the day fol­lowed by a Ja­son Bol­ger point shortly af­ter.

Strat­ford-Grange­con wing for­ward Kieran Byrne, who was im­pres­sive in the aban­doned game, bat­tled hard through­out and his ef­forts were re­warded with a fine goal in the 39th minute af­ter link­ing up with Matthew Manley.

An­nacurra tagged on fur­ther points from O’Brien, Clune and Mur­phy again who cropped up with other sweet strike af­ter 46.

O’Brien and Mur­phy were very im­pres­sive for the Der­rysiders. Kieran Byrne reg­is­tered two more points for Strat­ford-Grange­con and on the 26th minute, he was fouled in the An­nacurra square with ref­eree Chris Cana­van award­ing a penalty which was sent wide.

An­nacurra pushed on and wing back Michael Healy popped up with the fi­nal score of the game.

An­nacurra safe for an­other year at In­ter­me­di­ate foot­ball level. Strat­ford-Grange­con meet Rath­new in the rel­e­ga­tion fi­nal.

Scor­ers – An­nacurra: Gearóid Mur­phy 0-4 (1f), Mick O’Brien 0-2, Michael Healy 0-1, Alan Byrne 0-2, Frank Clune 1-1, Clive Ho­ran 1-2 (1f).

Strat­ford-Grange­con: Matthew Manley 0-3, Kieran Byrne 1-3 (1f), Ja­son Bol­ger 0-1, Ross Coogan 0-1.

AN­NACURRA: Robert Fitzger­ald; Shane McAl­lis­ter, Ciaran Byrne, Liam Moules; Michael Healy, Alan Byrne, El­liot Robin­son; Martin O’Brien, Mick O’Brien; Clive Ho­ran, Gearóid Mur­phy, Ne­van O’Sul­li­van; Frank Clune, Jon Hynes, Max Mol­loy. Subs: John O’Neill, Michael Doyle, Ian McDon­ald for Mol­loy (45), Dean Barnes for Hynes (48).

STRAT­FORD-GRANGE­CON: Pa­trick Cronin; Eric Fen­lon, Mar­cus Han­bidge, Joseph O’Neill; Shane Byrne, Michael Man­gan, Adam Doyle; Mark Lan­don, Matthew Manley; Ross Coogan, Mark Mur­phy, Kieran Byrne; Cor­mac Byrne, Ja­son Bol­ger, De­clan Bol­lard.

REF­EREE: Chris Cana­van (Avoca)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.