Cup joy af­ter Rath­new rout

Vil­lage side de­feat Glens

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT -

RATH­NEW se­cured their first sil­ver­ware of the sea­son at Celtic Park on Satur­day af­ter­noon with an im­pres­sive 7-1 win over Glen­cor­mac to se­cure the Chal­lenge Cup.

The game be­gan with the Rath­new side dom­i­nat­ing pos­ses­sion as had some early chances to open the scor­ing.

Their first op­por­tu­nity came to Ryan O’Neill in the third minute who was played in with a great ball over the Glen­cor­mac de­fence, O’Neill’s ef­fort on goal was rushed as his shot went over the bar.

Glen­cor­mac had a great chance of their own on the 17th minute when speedy winger Bradley Cullen made a great run down the left chan­nel be­fore squar­ing the ball right across the goal line, Cullen was try­ing to find Dean Brad­shaw who was mak­ing a run into the penalty area but Brad­shaw just couldn’t get there in time.

The Rath­new men kept push­ing for the lead through­out the first 20 min­utes of the game and fi­nally found a way past the Glen­cor­mac de­fence on the 21st minute with a thun­der­bolt of a strike from striker Scott Devlin.

Devlin gained pos­ses­sion just past the half­way line be­fore mak­ing a great drib­bling run past two Glen­cor­mac mid­field­ers, Devlin looked up and un­leashed a thun­der­bolt of a strike right into the too cor­ner.

Five min­utes later Rath­new struck again this time Mark Hodgkin­son find­ing the back of the net from in­side the penalty area. Glen­cor­mac were strug­gling un­der the Rath­new pres­sure and con­ceded a third goal just be­fore half time as William Moore­house headed home a well-de­liv­ered cor­ner to the back post.

Glen­cor­mac re­grouped at half time and came out in the sec­ond half look­ing to get an early goal to get back into the game, Aaron Kil­lick went close min­utes into the sec­ond half but had his shot saved with an ex­cel­lent save from Rath­new’s Josh O’Con­nor.

Rath­new quickly re­gained their con­fi­dence af­ter find­ing the back of the net once again, this time Ethan Power get­ting in on the scor­ing act af­ter he forced the ball into the net af­ter a goal-line scram­ble gave him the op­por­tu­nity to put his side 5-0 up on the 40th minute.

Striker Scott Devlin got his sec­ond of the game to make it 6-0 to his side when he was bril­liantly set up by Adam Byrne who squared the ball across to Devlin to se­cure his brace.

Al­though Glen­cor­mac found them­selves down by six goals early in the sec­ond half they did not drop their heads and kept on at­tack­ing look­ing for a goal.

They got their re­ward on the 55th minute when Dean Brad­shaw found the back of the net af­ter some great foot­work from their hard­work­ing at­tacker Bradley Cullen who man­aged beat three Rath­new de­fend­ers be­fore as­sist­ing Brad­shaw.

Un­for­tu­nately, it was only a con­so­la­tion goal as Rath­new put the fi­nal two nails in the cof­fin to seal the win by scor­ing two be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle.

Adam Byrne got the first with a won­der­fully struck vol­ley from in­side the penalty area and the fi­nal goal came from mid­fielder Ethan Snell who found the back of the net in the last minute of the game.

Credit must be given to Glen­cor­mac who kept their com­po­sure through­out the game and didn’t give up de­spite the dif­fer­ence in the score line but it was an elec­tric per­for­mance from Rath­new who dom­i­nated the fi­nal from start to fin­ish and were wor­thy win­ners of the Chal­lenge U15/U16s Cup.

The Rath­new team who won the Chal­lenge Cup af­ter beat­ing Glen­cor­mac in the fi­nal in Celtic Park.

Rath­new’s Cil­lian McAilis­ter fires a shot on goal dur­ing the Chal­lenge Cup fi­nal against Glen­cor­mac.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.