Deadly Dunlavin

Daniels’ men look im­pres­sive in vic­tory over Kil­coole

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE


DUNLAVIN pro­duced a clin­i­cal and im­pres­sive per­for­mance to power past Kil­coole last Sun­day af­ter­noon in Aughrim and se­cure a place in the Darcy Sand In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship fi­nal against Kilmacanog­ue.

A busy, or­gan­ised and re­lent­less show­ing all over the field proved too much for Ciaran Dut­ton’s men who failed to hit the heights re­quired and who came up against a Dunlavin de­fence in no mood for com­pro­mise and an at­tack that moved the ball in­tel­li­gently and caused mas­sive prob­lems for the Goose­bank men.

Dunlavin’s re­turn to the fi­nal gives them an op­por­tu­nity to right the wrongs of the 2017 de­cider when they were top­pled by a ruth­less Hol­ly­wood dis­play on a score line of 5-9 to 0-15 with the game vir­tu­ally over at half-time with Mick Mur­ray’s men lead­ing by 3-4 to 0-8. Look­ing at Sun­day’s per­for­mance against Kil­coole it seems highly un­likely that Jonathan Daniels’ side will be prised open with such ease when they face his old charges in two weeks’ time.

Fac­ing Dunlavin will be Kilmacanog­ue who pow­ered past Carnew Em­mets in their semi-fi­nal. Dunlavin boss Jonathan Daniels led the Su­gar­loaf men to the Ju­nior ‘A’ ti­tle dur­ing his time with the club and will know all about the threat that the young side pos­sess and sug­gests that this will be a bel­ter of a fi­nal be­tween two pure foot­balling sides.

Dunlavin had some ma­jor per­form­ers on the day all the way from Tom McGuirk in the goals who notched two points from sweetly struck 45s to cap­tain Sean Phe­lan at full-back, the ex­cel­lent Paul Murtagh, MJ Moran, Aaron Phe­lan, Shane O’Rourke, Cian O’Sul­li­van, Eoin Murtagh and the en­er­getic and stylish Shane Carthy. They were also able to call on sol­diers such as Daniel Daw­son, Fionn Dee­gan and Gary Allen from the bench from a panel of 31 as the pro­gramme listed on the day.

The start­ing 15 showed a num­ber of po­si­tional switches. Eoin Murtagh was named at 14 but lined out at mid­field on Ro­nan Keddy. Cian O’Sul­li­van went to cor­ner-for­ward on Luke O’Reilly from the start and mid­fielder Mark Reid took up the full-for­ward po­si­tion.

For Kil­coole, Matt Gil­bert wore 11 but started in at full-for­ward with Danny Ka­vanagh mov­ing out the field.

The first half was cagey but en­ter­tain­ing. Dunlavin opened up a two-point gap early on. Tomás Lawlor win­ning a free from Keith Reynolds and the very im­pres­sive Shane O’Rourke send­ing it over the bar be­fore Shane Carthy engi­neered a fine score that pro­duced 13 passes of the ball ahead of the cor­ner-for­ward fir­ing over.

Kil­coole got off the mark from a move that started with a short kick-out from Glen Tighe. Alas, for Kil­coole, it would be a tac­tic they would per­sist with and it seemed one that cre­ated an aw­ful lot of work for them as they looked to build from the back.

On this oc­ca­sion the ball was worked to Danny Ka­vanagh who was fouled by Paul Murtagh. The free was taken quickly to Luke Evans who fed Eoin Keddy who drilled over a gor­geous score off the out­side of the right boot.

The busy Jack Bel­lamy popped over the equaliser as both sides un­leashed a fairly sig­nif­i­cant work rate that was go­ing to have to drain the en­ergy lev­els as the game went on.

A big gap passed be­tween scores with Shane O’Rourke land­ing the next from a free af­ter 17 min­utes af­ter a han­dling er­ror from the Kil­coole de­fence while Shane Carthy watched his ef­fort mo­ments be­fore com­ing off both post and back out to safety at the vil­lage end.

It was 20 min­utes be­fore Kil­coole went long with a kick-out but that was won by Dunlavin and quickly fol­lowed by a Cian O’Sul­li­van point af­ter his shot was touched over by Glen Tighe in the Kil­coole goals.

A foul by Mark Reid and Eoin Murtagh on Danny Ka­vanagh al­lowed the ta­lented at­tacker a chance from a free and he took it with aplomb to leave Dunlavin ahead by 0-4 to 0-3 af­ter 21.

Tom McGuirk floated over a 45 af­ter 26 be­fore Cian O’Sul­li­van fol­lowed up af­ter 29 with Kil­coole storm­ing the Dunlavin de­fence in be­tween only for Ro­nan Keddy’s ef­fort to be blocked by a com­bi­na­tion of Padraig Car­mody and Paul Murtagh as the west side locked up at the back.

A Danny Ka­vanagh free closed the scor­ing at 0-6 to 0-4 and left Kil­coole un­der no il­lu­sions as to the chal­lenge they faced from a for­mi­da­ble look­ing Dunlavin per­for­mance.

It was 0-8 to 0-4 within the open­ing five min­utes of the sec­ond half – a lovely Shane O’Rourke point af­ter 40 sec­onds, again af­ter pa­tient and con­fi­dent build up, and a free from Cian O’Sul­li­van af­ter a jersey pull.

Kil­coole man­aged a wide in be­tween those scores af­ter a fine mark from Cor­mac Byrne saw the Goose­bank men at­tack and Ro­nan Keddy win a free which was pulled wide by Danny Ka­vanagh.

Lee Dut­ton sent over a lovely score that orig­i­nated from yet an­other short kick-out and Matt Kennedy got up to break Tom McGuirk’s kick-out im­me­di­ately af­ter and started a move that ended with Declan Roper fir­ing over and re­duc­ing the Dunlavin lead to two at 0-6 to 0-4.

Dunlavin sent in Daniel Daw­son for Tomás Lawlor with Daw­son go­ing to mid­field and Mark Reid mov­ing to the half for­wards.

Had it been a closer game at the death then the next events could have been a mas­sive talk­ing point. A trundling run from Aaron Phe­lan saw him un­leash a rocket of a shot at Glen Tighe’s goal and it was wal­loped the cross­bar came down and bounced back out with the ac­tion end­ing with a Dunlavin 45. The power of the shot made it im­pos­si­ble to tell in real time but there were ma­jor sug­ges­tions that the ball had crossed the line. Tom McGuirk swept over the 45.

A wide from Matt Gil­bert was fol­lowed by the dis­pos­ses­sion of Eoin Murtagh and a sweep­ing over that ended with a stun­ning score from Lee Dut­ton.

An Aaron Phe­lan Mark was fol­lowed by the ball mov­ing from Wil­liam Kennedy to Shane Carthy with the hugely im­pres­sive at­tacker fir­ing over to make it 00-10 to 0-7.

By now Kil­coole had in­stalled Danny Ka­vanagh on the edge of the square and were start­ing to drop bombs down in his gen­eral vicin­ity. One such de­liv­ery caused Dunlavin se­ri­ous prob­lems and the ball broke to Matt Gil­bert who ri­fled over at the end of the third quar­ter.

It was 0-12 to 0-8 by the time Kil­coole man­aged what would be their last score – Shane O’Rourke and Shane Carthy both scor­ing ei­ther side of the in­tro­duc­tion of Gary Allen to the fray.

Danny Ka­vanagh would point af­ter 22 but that was as good as it got for the Goose­bank men. They con­tin­ued to launch high ball in but Tom McGuirk and his de­fence were more than up for the chal­lenge and a point from Shane O’Rourke closed out the win at 0-13 to 0-9 with Kil­coole never truly look­ing like un­lock­ing a very im­pres­sive Dunlavin side who march on to face Kilmacanog­ue in what should be a won­der­ful spec­ta­cle of a fi­nal.

Scor­ers – Dunlavin: Shane O’Rourke 0-5 (2f), Dhane Carthy 0-3, Cian O’Sul­li­van 0-3 (1f), Tom McGuirk 0-2 (2 45s).

Kil­coole: Danny Ka­vanagh 0-3 (2f), Lee Dut­ton 0-2, Eoin Keddy 0-1, Jack Bel­lamy 0-1, Declan Roper 0-1, Matt Gil­bert 0-1. DUNLAVIN: Tom McGuirk; Padraig Car­mody, Sean Phe­lan, Daryl Hunt­ley; Wil­liam Kennedy, Paul Murtagh, MJ Moran; Aaron Phe­lan, Mark Reid; Shane O’Rourke, Cian O’Sul­li­van, Dar­ragh Dil­lon; Tomás Lawlor, Eoin Murtagh, Shane Carthy. Subs: Daniel Daw­son for T Lawlor (39), Gary Allen for M Reid (48), Fionn Dee­gan for D Dil­lon (59), Harry Cloe­burn for D Hunt­ley (61).

KIL­COOLE: Glen Tighe; Luke O’Reilly, Matthew Man­nix, Keith Reynolds; Dara Keddy, Matt Kennedy, Jack Bel­lamy; Cor­mac Byrne, Ro­nan Keddy; Eoin Keddy, Matt Gil­bert, Luke Evans; Lee Dut­ton, Danny Ka­vanagh, Declan Roper. Subs: 19 for D Roper (55), Chris Car­roll for J Bel­lamy (59).


Kil­coole’s Danny Ka­vanagh gets bot­tled up by the Dunlavin de­fence in Aughrim on Sun­day.

Eoin Murtagh and Cor­mac Byrne col­lide in the IFC semi-fi­nal in Aughrim on Sun­day.

Kil­coole’s Eoin Keddy tries to keep tabs on Wil­liam Kennedy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.